Cloudberry Kingdom Rising on the Wii U eShop on 1st August

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Prepare your beards now

Update:

Pwnee Studios has now confirmed to us that Cloudberry Kingdom will arrive in Europe on 1st August, the same as in North America, and will cost €9.99.

Original Article:

It's now been confirmed that the Kickstarter-funded platformer Cloudberry Kingdom — now being published by Ubisoft — will make its entrance onto the Wii U eShop in North America on 1st August for $9.99; we're currently confirming European details.

The press release confirming this date also says that the following content can be expected.

• Infinite Levels: A platformer designed with a fully random level generator. Every level is brand new and never seen before. The difficulty level can match any need, from the casual to the hardcore. Also, save and send levels to friends!
  • Hero Selection: Play as 10 hero types and unlock more. Also create your own hero in Hero Factory, not just the look of the hero but the physics as well.
  • Multiple Game Modes: Experience three different types of play; Story mode, Free Play, and Arcade mode which include Time Crisis, Hero Rush,and Escalation.
  • Multiplayer and Co-Op: Up to four player gaming with local multiplayer and Co-Op modes, including Bungee mode
  • Celebrity Voice Acting: The game touts celebrity Voice Actor Kevin Sorbo Star of the hit TV series "Hercules" , "Andromeda" and leading role in the parody film “Meet the Spartans”.

We think you can expect quite the charming, old-school challenge from Cloudberry Kingdom, based on our hands-on time with the title. Are you looking forward to taking on the infinite, randomized challenges of the realm? Let us know in the comments.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Kevin Sorbo is voice acting? Man, I wanted the game before, but now, this is Game of the Year material. Call of Duty wishes they had Kevin Sorbo!

And I am not being sarcastic - Hercules ruled.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I wasn't sure if I wanted this game but just finding out that Kevin Sorbo is voice acting in this game, I will defiantly be getting it now.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@SpinelessOyster
Publishing and developing are two separate things. Presumably the Kickstarter money went to developing / refining the game. From there it still needs somebody to publish it through the various platforms, and it looks like Ubisoft is filling that role.

PwneeStudios

PwneeStudios said:

@Philip_J_Reed Yup, that is exactly right. CBK was completely funded by our Kickstarter backers, and could not have been finished without their support. Ubisoft's role is in helping us get the game out to all the platforms.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Kevin Sorbo did voice acting for The Conduit on Wii.

And this one sounds interesting, specially the "change the physics of your hero" stuff.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'll definitely look forward to this. I'm sure it'll knock my pants off with its over the top difficulty.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I think I'll be taking advantage of the PS+ discount and trophies with this one. ( Just as I predicted would happen with multiplatform releases when Nintendo announced no achievements )

But seriously, trophies on psn vs off-tv play with Wii U makes me stop and think, but the discount pushes me towards Sony this time.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

I'd get it but..... I think I've had enough with side scrollers for the time being. I already plan on buying Rayman Legends and I just bought NSLU. I need something new. Gonna get Pikmin 3 in August.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Awesome, it comes out on my birthday! Although for my birthday, I already got Animal Crossing: New Leaf as an early present, but I'm also planning on getting Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3. What do you think about these two next choices guys? I was thinking about getting WW HD, but it's pretty much the same as the one on Gmaecube which I already have.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I remember when this was a nice little Wii U exclusive--one of the many small reasons to get a Wii U. Sigh...

Well, more platforms means more money for the devs, so I really can't complain. Glad to see it has a release date, and a close one at that.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

I was planning on getting this for the U but after seeing the discount for the PS+ members, I'm getting the pS3 version. Either way, it sounds like a very fun game.

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

@SpinelessOyster The Kickstarter game was originally only going to be for PC and Wii U. Ubisoft has given them additional funding to bring it to other platforms, such as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Backers (like me) are still being given updates and copies of the completed game. Nothing has really changed.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

With random generated levels, wouldn't some made up levels have very cheaply placed traps?, like no way to pass it even if you were pro at the game?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@XCWarrior I completely agree with you 100%! Hercules (& Xena: Warrior Princess) were amazing shows!! I'm even more looking forward to this game now! GOTY contender for sure :D

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

i love the cutscenes, but the gameplay itself doesnt interest me too much

PwneeStudios

PwneeStudios said:

@Marshi One of the devs here, yup. We'll be launching simultaneously in the UK, all of Europe and N. and S. America. One world, wooh!

@Undead_terror we spent a couple of years working on the level design AI, making sure it always builds levels that are possible to beat. If you're ever unsure how to beat a level you can have the AI play the level to see how it's done, but you'll still have to beat it yourself afterward =p.