Broken Rules Unveils SECRETS OF RÆTIKON

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

In talks with "more than one party" concerning platforms

Broken Rules is the developer of WiiWare title And Yet it Moves and Wii U eShop release Chasing Aurora, a beautiful multiplayer game that we rated highly at the system's launch. It's now confirmed its new project, SECRETS OF RÆTIKON, a game that the developer hinted at in our interview last year, telling us it was planning a "story-based game ... set in the same universe as Chasing Aurora", but that development would only kick into full gear once the release and updates of the Wii U eShop title were complete.

Based on the screenshots published today, and the trailer below, this title looks to be using the studio's own Ginkgo engine once again. The focus of this experience is on exploring the alpine mountains over the course of three chapters, discovering new environments, remnants of an ancient civilisation and interacting with various animals. The developer aims to provide a fully interactive world, where the player determines the speed of progress and how they set about exploring and dealing with wildlife, though Broken Rules doesn't "recommend fooling around with a lynx".

You can see the teaser video and more screenshots below. The studio's Martin Pichlmair has told us that no details could be given yet on platforms, only that the team is "still in talks with more than one party concerning this topic". With the company's previous experience of running its engine and publishing on Wii U we can hope it'll arrive on the eShop, but we'll just have to wait and see whether this flies onto Nintendo's system.

felix330

felix330 said:

If this is single player focused I will gladly buy it for WiiU or PC. So far it sounds pretty great.

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

Never heard of this game but when I buy my Wii U I'm going to get for the e'shop on lauch date

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@jorgem696 Well it's not confirmed for Wii U, so we can only hope at the moment. Chasing Aurora is a similar style, albeit with a multiplayer focus.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

IT HAS FOXES IN IT! MUST BUY :D

I like the art style, but the trailer didn't show anything that interests me.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

@sinalefa I was thinking about that while I was typing the comment, it really doesn't show anything at all, already selected reply by then :P

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I was very disappointed with and yet it moves regardless of what critics think about it. If I get another thing from them it will be only at a highly reduced cost.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

And yet it moves was good, the bird game wasn't even worth it at discount. I know it's a teaser trailer but that might be the worst teaser trailer for a new IP I have ever seen. That kind of trailer only works with an established franchise or game director.

NImH

NImH said:

I loved And Yet It Moves... I "liked" Chasing Aurora... I'll wait for a review by the illustrious NLife staff :)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I really enjoyed the design and controls of Chasing Aurora, but expected a free-flowing "non-game" of flying through interesting landscapes. This new game is supposed to be closer to that concept so I'm quite keen to see what they come up with!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I liked the look of Chasing Aurora but it's not the type of game I'd get chances to play multiplayer on so I passed. A single player wild life integration game with this art style sounds far more up my street though!

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Looks great! Hope it comes to Wii U! Much prefer playing with the GamePad over PC...

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

hey look, a game that actually has a one player mode, oh joy. let's hope this one goes better. (love those triangle foxes btw)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Don't you love it when a trailer reveals nothing (Well, this is a teaser trailer. But still...)!

Pod

Pod said:

Awesome art, and the sound design appears crisp and appealing too.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.