Posted by Damien McFerran

As hardcore as they come

Shin Megami Tensei IV has just been released in Japan and has stormed to the top of the charts with almost 190,000 copies sold in its first week.

Speaking to NicoNico News, game director Kazuyuki Yamai revealed that one of the main motivations behind creating the title was to prove that games could be mature and not "childish". Yamai explained that the title's intense storyline and deep gameplay were borne out of the desire to change the perception among some players that casual social gaming is "good enough".

He explains that he wanted the game to be:

Something that can move people. Something that can give some sort of hint to those who are living hard lives, and perhaps even provide an unforgettable feeling of shock. This title isn’t only for younger people, as it’s also a bitter and serious drama we’ve accomplished, that even adults can play and say ‘I see’.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is expected to launch in North America next month. A European release date is to be confirmed.

[via siliconera.com]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

@neumaus
Chucking the words "social gaming" into any news article here on NL is an easy way to get page hits.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

It makes me happy that there are still developers like these guys in the world. On some days I'd want to play social games just to have a bit of mindless fun, but on others I'd want to get totally engrossed in a story which isn't afraid to challenge my own perceptions.

But maybe I'm getting too deep into this :/

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I will stop whatever game(s) I'm playing to make sure this gets all of my attention. This will be my first SMT!

Rapido

Rapido said:

Shin Megami Tensei IV Team Want To Change The Mindset That Social Games "Are Good Enough”? - Damn right Son.

Doma

Doma said:

Glad they don't adhere to degrading the experience of a game to try and appeal to casuals. Which happens constantly with Nintendo's games, difficulty and story wise.

This is easily the 3ds game i'm most looking forward to.

DashDG

DashDG said:

For me Atlus is the best 3rd party support for 3ds, cant wait to expand my collection with this amazing game!!!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

That's exactly the mentality that makes me love this series, and I'm glad to hear that it's here more than ever with this next installment. I greatly look forward to playing it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@neumaus @Jamouse "According to Yamai, the concept behind the starting plans of Shin Megami Tensei IV was the thought of wanting something to wipe away mindsets such as “games are childish” and “social games are good enough”."

That's a quote taken from Siliconera, which NL linked on the bottom of the article. If you know Japanese, here's the link to the original interview they're referring to: http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw636262

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I've had this baby pre-ordered since the pre-order opened up! I cannot wait to explore Japan and fight demons again!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Magikarp
I feel the same and you are certainly not overthinking things!
I implore you to play the Zero Escape game if you haven't yet done so :)

Also this just sold me on the game, I've yet to play a Shin Megami game but have been looking to get involved for awhile.