Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD Is Also Coming To Wii U

Posted by Orla Madden

More Oddworld? Yes please

Following yesterday's announcement that Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N' Tasty is coming to the Wii U eShop, Oddworld Inhabitants revealed that Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD is also making its way to the Wii U's digital store.

The game is a high definition port, with the original already having enjoyed success on the Xbox and PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network. It follows Stranger, a fearful bounty hunter, who must capture numerous outlaws to collect bounties. The goal is to earn enough money to fund a life-saving operation.

The release of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N' Tasty and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD will be the first on a Nintendo home console, as there have been Oddworld titles on Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance.

Lorne Lanning, co-founder and president of Oddworld Inhabitants, and creator of the Oddworld series, said the company was happy when Nintendo approached them about releasing the games on the Wii U:

We strive to be a completely platform-agnostic micro-publisher. As such, we were very happy when Nintendo asked if we could release these titles on the Wii U via their eShop distribution system. Nintendo’s willingness to work with the independent sector of the industry is a good sign for the future of consoles.

Are either of these games on your wish list? Are you happy that they'll be coming to the Wii U?

From the web

MAB said:

A good old PC fav from back in the day... I'm gonna get both of them

ImDiggerDan said:

I want to know if "New N Tasty" is the same as the original game in terms of content - ie a reboot, or a new game "inspired" by the mechanics of the first game.

I intend to find out...

Sean_Aaron said:

I loved the original on Playstation, so I'm totally up for both of these. It was nice to see Abe in the Direct yesterday!

Kosmo said:

Totally going to get that. Now, realease Munch's Odissey, and we'll be all set...

KAHN said:

you're doing a good thing, nintendo. keep it up. please. i love you.

Gnoll said:

Never played an Oddworld game, but always curious about them. Have them something differentiating them from other platformers?

FiveDigitLP said:

Sweet! I've never played any games in this series, but I've heard good things about them. Anybody here want to tell me about them and what makes them so special?

alLabouTandroiD said:

Not getting the Abe's Oddysee remake would have been a huge loss for the Wii U. Glad it's coming.
Not entirely sure about Stranger's Wrath but it should be a quite unique game at least.
I wouldn't mind getting Abe's Exoddus and maybe even a new game along these lines either.

Henmii said:

Good news! Hopefully we will also see Abe's Exodus and Munch oddesey someday!

jarreboum said:

I thought Oddworld inhabitants stopped game development to focus on films? Anyway it's good to see them back.

LavaTwilight said:

Abe's Oddysee DEFINITELY is! Strangers Wrath not sure... I wasn't a fan of Munch. Can anyone recommend? And why

LavaTwilight said:

@FiveDigitLP @Gnoll
Definitely for Abe's Oddysee. You control Abe who has just found out that his species, the Mudokans, is next on the list to be turned into the "New N Tasty" production line by an evil corporation! Along the way you have to save your fellow employees/slaves and depending on how well you do will depend on whether or not you succeed in taking them down. It's such a great game with stealth and some great tense moments, for example when in the Scrab caves and having to run away from them as they chase you down. I couldn't recommend this game enough!

Henmii said:

From what I have heard they returned a few years back (I wonder if they ever made a movie! The Coca cola commercial from a few years back could have been made by them though)! At first they planned to make a new, downloadable (episodic?) game about a Oddworld shepherd who goes insane because of rabius (I am not making this up)! Then they wanted to make a Oddworld real-time strategy game first (one they worked on in the past), but now it seems they keep it save by just doing a remake of their first Oddworld game!