Kokuga Officially Confirmed for Western Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Lingering doubts, begone!

Kokuga, the 3DS shmup from Ikaruga creator Hiroshi Iuchi, has now been officially confirmed as an eShop release in the West. It's not unexpected, with classifications in Australia and Germany suggesting that localisation of the Japanese title was already well underway.

Publisher G.rev Ltd has now launched an English site for the title, confirming a release window of June / July for both the Americas and PAL regions. It also provides various details on the game, including the one-shot-on-the-screen mechanic, battle cards and the inclusion of local and Download Play co-op multiplayer. Another interesting feature is that you can determine how long you play each time you boot it up, with the option to choose a single stage and a main boss, or a lengthier session of several stages followed by a boss.

You can check out the official website for more details, and the Japanese trailer is below. Is this one that you're keen to pick up when it blasts its way onto the eShop?

[via kokuga.net, twitter.com]

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I drove to a rough area just to grab a complete mint copy of Ikaruga for the Game Cube at a Gamestop. My interest is peak;)

timp29

timp29 said:

I assume this will be soul crushingly hard. I don't know why I played Ikaruga so much considering how mean that game is.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Definitely getting this, it's been on my list since they announced the Japanese version!

Shambo

Shambo said:

eshop only? :( guess i'll still get it, but it'd be nice on card... i have ikaruga twice on gamecube, pal and ntsc version. a collector's gotta collect...

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Somehow, it kind of reminds me of the coin minigame in Super Smash Bros Brawl which would let you win trophies. ;)

Kosher-X

Kosher-X said:

Bought it, and its hard as nails. Not very Ikaruga-like but it was worth the money. I'd liked more if G.Rev released Gunhound for the PSP overseas, or a port of it for the 3DS or anything. Anyway, good game.