A Hat in Time Smashes Through All Kickstarter Stretch Goals

Posted by Andy Green

Developer still in talks about a Wii U version

At the end of May Gears For Breakfast opened up a Kickstarter campaign for the beautiful 3D cel-shaded platformer A Hat in Time. The campaign is in its final days now and it has not only achieved its set target but has smashed through every single stretch goal too.

A Hat in Time will now feature a co-op mode, full voice acting, a bonus chapter, New Game+ and even a tune devised by the former Rare composed Grant Kirkhope - the man behind soundtracks to the likes of Banjo Kazooie and GoldenEye 007.

At the moment, Gears For Breakfast is releasing the new title on Windows and Mac and most likely Steam as well. The developer has stated it plans to release console versions in the future and is in talks with a publisher about a Wii U adaptation.

This interesting looking title takes inspiration from the Nintendo 64 era of collection platformers that really defined the genre. However, Jonas Kærlev, the head of the studio, recently said he wants to strike a healthy balance with the collect-a-thon element of A Hat in Time as he believes some titles - namely Donkey Kong 64 - overdid it.

There are three days left to run on the Kickstarter campaign and the developer may yet add more stretch goals. It's currently sitting on just over $200,000 of funding and for every $15,000 more it gets, Grant Kirkhope will compose another track.

What are your thoughts on A Hat in Time? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via kickstarter.com]

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I tip my hat to the humor and art-style of this game.
If it comes to Wii U i'm very likely to plow some money into it.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'll certainly be purchasing this game if it comes to Wii U. It looks like a perfect fit for a Nintendo system after all.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Saw a youtuber play trough the prototype demo. I am really interested in this title. Would be great if they would publish it on the wiiu! Otherwise I will get it for my mac.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

I already bought it, but I will buy a Wii U version as well. (Or if the 2 digital copies allows for 1 PC and 1 Wii U)

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

Looks good, will probably grab it on Steam first because Steam sales, but if it's coming out for Wii U, I'll probably grab it there too.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I have to say I'm really impressed with this game! The visuals are great, the gameplay looks fun, and the protagonist looks simply adorable! This game is right up on my list of great Crowndfunding Projects!

C7_

C7_ said:

Will probably only buy this on console. Not because I hate PC's or anything, it's just I'd much rather have a controller and a guarantee that it'll work flawlessly rather than the issues that may arise form a PC version.

That being said, I'm looking forward to see what this turns into!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I have been hearing great things about the game provided I haven't seen much videos of it.
I'm not one to get my hopes up too much but.... Please make this WiiU bound. Please. Pleeasseeee!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I backed it and won't mind too much if I only get it for PC but I really want it to come to Wii U

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Same as TrueWiiMaster. I can't be bothered to play on a PC. I hope it makes it to Wii U and that it is decently priced.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm so happy for a Hat in Time to have fully made every goal! So awesome! Now I impatiently await the news that it's coming to Wii U. Day-1 purchase, easily! :D

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

My only gripe was that they couldn't make it longer, this isn't a complaint more of a lament as it looks beautiful.

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

looks lovely but I have never owned a PC that could play games without crashing regularly and the controls are always pants. I would have thought a 3ds version of this might work lovely