Ecco The Dolphin Creator Launches Kickstarter For Spiritual Sequel, Wii U Version A Possibility

Posted by Damien McFerran

It's always good to have a porpoise in life

The team behind the original Ecco the Dolphin is attempting to fund a spiritual sequel using Kickstarter.

Ed Annunziata — who created Ecco — is the man behind the aquatic venture, which is entitled The Big Blue. The campaign is seeking $665,000 to cover the costs of development, and has raised (at the time of writing) just over $300. It has 34 days to meet its target. Should all go according to plan, the final game will launch on April 22, 2014.

The original Ecco the Dolphin launched on the Sega Genesis back in 1992. It was followed by a 16-bit sequel called Ecco: The Tides of Time. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future hit the Sega Dreamcast a few years later, in 2000. A second Dreamcast game — Ecco the Dolphin 2: Sentinels of the Universe — was cancelled during development. There was also an entry on the Sega Game Gear by the name of Ecco Jr.

Although it's being developed with Mac, Windows, and iOS and Android initially, Annunziata is insistent that the game will come to other platforms:

Once we are done with the first version of the game I will convince Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to embrace the game. We want the Big Blue everywhere.

Is this a project you'll be backing? Drop a comment to tell us.

[via kickstarter.com]

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

$665,000!!!!! Jesus, is it just me or is Kickstarter becoming more and more like a scam for chancers?

Koapa

Koapa said:

665 000 !!!!
I can´t image what should cost so much and how they get the money back + some profit.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Guys, are you kidding me? 665,000 is rather cheap for the development of a full-fledged game...stop thinking of small-sized DSiWare games and the likes...

Garo

Garo said:

Yes, finally we get some info about this. Would've personally preferred a direct sequel to Tides of Time, but this sounds very interesting and promising. Definitely supporting Big Blue.

phoenixology

phoenixology said:

If Death Inc didn't reach it's target this definately won't.
From what I remember from the 'Mega Drive Years', ECCO the dolphin was incredibly s*** and boring.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

I really enjoyed Ecco especially DotF on DC and PS2 (Still have both versions) Would love to see it as a digital download on HD consoles along with games already released Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi, etc.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Hasn't the Ecco series not aged well?

Never played any so I'm asking a legit question.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@brandonbwii I played a bit of the first one and...yes...and no. It plays quite well and is one of the few games where swimming is smooth and fun, and the game is unique and kinda fun. On the other hand, the difficulty is bad and for bad reasons and poor ideas for puzzles etc.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I cant ser this reaching its over ambitious goal. Yes, maybe they need all that money to make the game, but if they cant pay part of the develpment, dont expect random people to pay for all of it.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Gotta say, I really don't think this is going to happen. That's too high an amount for a game that I'm not sure that many people liked. My wife liked Ecco when she was a kid, but she's the only person I know who did.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I loved the Ecco series and despite its brutal difficulty I still managed to somehow beat the first game. I'd love to see this series back again. There is something special about it.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I never really understood the appeal of Ecco but if it has enough fans for this reboot that's cool.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

That Kolibri game was kinda fun back in the day. I actually liked it a lot more than Ecco.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I never played the original Ecco the Dolphin but I definitely have some interest in seeing this game come to consoles.

Amigaengine

Amigaengine said:

personally feel Nintendo should sweep up some of these kickstarter projects. Some very good ideas from talented game creators.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

As much as I would love to support this, I pledged to myself that I would never donate to a Kickstarter fund. I spend too much of my income on video games to support any fund and as much as I'd love to support this because I know I would get my money back if it didn't fall through, I really can't, especially considering that there tryna raise more than half a million dollars in 34 days. Seems unrealistic to me, why not pitch this idea to publisher they would so fund them.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Still have my Dreamcast copy, its the only game I ever bought the guide book for, the poster looks good hanging on the wall. May need to go replay it ;-)

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Ecco Jr. was released on the MegaDrive/Genesis, not the Game Gear; you may want to fix that

I like the 16-bit Ecco trilogy, I think they're fun and enjoyably good games, imo; I never played the Dreamcast installment before, though I heard mixed things about that one