DuckTales: Remastered Won't Be Getting Any Multiplayer DLC

Posted by Andy Green

Staying true to the original

The original NES version of DuckTales was an entirely single player experience, however as anyone who's played the game will know, there's plenty of room for multiplayer considering all those nephews Scrooge McDuck has.

Now that the classic title is being remade, everyone wants to know if Capcom or WayForward Technologies will be implementing some multiplayer elements into DuckTales: Remastered.

IGN recently caught up with its producer Rey Jimenez at PAX East and asked him whether or not some multiplayer DLC would be on the way. Here's what he had to say:

Absolutely not. Although were adding new stuff... the guys at WayForward are super purist. This is 'DuckTales: Remastered', it’s not 'DuckTales remixed plus all this other stuff'.

The stuff that they’re adding is to give the game definitely more charm and more value and basically play up that factor that people remember DuckTales and it means something to them outside of just a NES game. DuckTales itself as a franchise has a lot of meaning that makes people happy.

Jimenez revealed DuckTales: Remastered would be staying true to the original as much as possible, with 70% of its levels being the same as the NES version, while the rest would be modified slightly to make the experience better:

For those of you that really know the original game, and have a lot of muscle memory of how the original one went, you'll see that most of the game is there - like all the items are in the same place that you remember them - but then you'll come across a few areas that have been a little tweaked, a little tuned, to flow a little better.

There will also be a new tutorial level to show newcomers how to play.

Are you disappointed with the lack of multiplayer in DuckTales: Remastered? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments section below.

[via uk.ign.com]

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

I can't imagine anyone is actually surprised by this. Most of the things being reported about this game seem to be things it WON'T include. "The original NES version of DuckTales was an entirely single player experience" says it all. I think we can expect more or less a similar experience to the original with a few minor changes to enhance what the original set out to do. This crazy speculation seems a bit off.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Keeping it as similar to the original as possible is just fine with me, especially since I never got to play the original anyway. Little changes like the tutorial level is where it's at, and it's also smart for introducing new people to the game.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

There is multiplayer, it's called passing the controller to the other person and letting them play, maybe that's something else they were going for, but if this game does well, then maybe they would remaster that Chip and Dale game or Goof Troop, both which had multiplayer.

Cevan

Cevan said:

Glad to hear they're not going to be adding in a bunch of other stuff.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

If first impressions serve then this game will probably end up being a failure. Epic Mickey style.

seronja

seronja said:

i don't care about the MP, i want ducktales for the SP like the original one.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Why would they add it? Like someone else said, there seems to have been a lot of weird reporting about this game since its surprise announcement just 48 hours ago.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

@Geonjaha - Nah, I'm not concerned. It just seems like whenever I see you comment something, it's always negative. Pessimism is fine, but you seem to do it all the time; it's not healthy...

I look at both sides so honestly, this remastering could be great or terrible, anything can happen.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@LuigiMan200 - Criticism always seems more useful to me than compliment, especially when I'm simply posting a comment on an internet site, so generally what I say will seem negative - I'm not trying to insult anyone.

I really do hope that this game is good; I loved the GB versions, but to be honest I'm not getting the best feeling from what I've seen so far. Of course we've seen very little - so it doesn't really mean much anyway.

Mickey

Mickey said:

I'd get it just for the sake of supporting a Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers game, the quality game is a nice bonus though :)

Cirno

Cirno said:

In other Ducktales Remastered news, it won't come with a free copy of Super Smash Bros 4!

I can do this too, Yay!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Not every game needs multiplayer especially when they originally don't. I feel multiplayer fit games like Chip 'N' Dale more due to multiple characters and co-op play.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

That's fine, this was always the single player series. Multiplayer was for Chip n Dale.

I bet they're changing the final stage from being Transylvania, the required key to enter the mines, and allowing you to revisit levels to get higher scores/hidden treasures. I don't think anyone would complain about that.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@ecco6t9
Quite so, and I like their licensed games (like Aliens: Infestation and Batman: the Brave and the Bold) even more than those based on their own IPs (like Shantae or the Mighty series), so I have good feelings for this game.

Neram

Neram said:

If the original game didn't have multiplayer, and this is a "remastered" version of the original, then I don't see any reason to add something that wasn't in the original. Perhaps the game isn't designed to work with multiplayer, why screw it up?

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Shame! You could blame Disney, I think they said they didn't want games on the VC...

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Multiplayer would be cool I'm sure, but I could care less, as long as the single player portion is amazing.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Who Scrooged Ya !
I always thought this game was kinda hard back in the day as i shied away from it as well as chip n dales. But that was a pup id go hard on this game so bring it on REMASTERED baby !

allav866

allav866 said:

it's good they're adding a tutorial level. when i first played the game, i made it through the Amazon only to get stuck at the boss because i didnt know how to bounce with the cane.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Duck Tales isn't really a game that would benefit from multiplayer. Maybe they should add online!!! After all, online is the fad these days

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

If they remake "Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers," it'd be cool if they updated it with 4-players, and adding Monterey Jack, and Gadget as players 3 & 4. (Though, then that would require tweaking the story a bit, sense Gadget was the "damsel in distress." Oh well, that plot is kinda cliche' anyways, so I wouldn't miss it if they changed it slightly.)