Corecell's ChronoBlade is Now Called AeternoBlade

Posted by Andy Green

The 3DS title isn't far from release

Thailand-based developer Corecell announced it was in the process of making a 3DS title called ChronoBlade back in 2011.

However, although the game is still on track, it's received a name change. The managing director at Corecell recently told Cubed3 that the new name is AeternoBlade.

AeternoBlade is a time-manipulation action-sidescroller which stars a young mage warrior called Freyja, who jumps into the past of another dimension in order to save her tribe.

According to Corecell, AeternoBlade is now in the final stages of testing and localisation. There's no solid release date but it shouldn't be too far off now.

We're not sure why Corecell decided to change the name, but what we do know is this game has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. Corecell's past work includes Wicked Monsters Blast, a shooting-based selection of mini-games for Wii.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming game? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via cubed3.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Well, I do but I wanted to get MY FIRST 'FIRST COMMENT'! :D Anyway, Is this game connected to Xenoblade at all? Also I thought it was a name change for X, so sad :(

Bankai

Bankai said:

I like Corecell. I interviewed them a while back, and they were really good guys. Good to see games coming from non-traditional development nations like Thailand. Diversity in the games industry can only be a good thing.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I've heard of this game, and I hope it turns out good. Why the name change? I'll bet SE jumped on them because everything "chrono" belongs to them...except ChronoTwins, uh,...and Chronovolt.

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

A game about time travel and was titled ChronoBlade. I wonder what they were ripping off.

Oregano

Oregano said:

The game doesn't look spectacular from what I have seen but I'll definitely give it a chance. I like the art.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

This is actually pretty old news but it really flew under the radar. Anyways I am interested. Show a trailer soon please Corecell :)

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@Deathgaze Chrono is just a prefix that means time. It would be a bit weird if a game had the word chrono in it and didn't involve time related mechanics in one way or another.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@Deathgaze

I don't think Square Enix had the rights to trademark the Chrono prefix I mean there are games that were made before Chrono Trigger (1995) and Chrono Cross (2000) that also used the Chrono prefix. Chrono Quest (1988) for the Amiga being one and Chrono Soldier (1987) for Sega arcade being another.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

I remember thinking Dream Trigger 3D was a Chrono game until I saw gameplay and D3's logo on it.

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

@retro_player_22
I admit, I know just about everything there is to know about Nintendo, Sony and Square, but not so educated on Sega and what have you. I may be wrong, but out of the titles you listed no other made an impact on the gaming community such as Chrono Trigger. The game still holds up today as one of the best games of all time, if not the greatest. It's an arguable point. Chrono Cross though is one of Square's titles. And more or less a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger.