This Gruesome Plague-Spreading Strategy Title Could Be Infecting The Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Team made up of former Media Molecule, Lionhead and Criterion developers is open to the idea

Death Inc. is a strategy title with a difference - instead of fighting for the forces of good, you take on the role of the Grim Reaper as he seeks to spread the bubonic plague in 1660's England and enhance his own grisly reputation.

The game is up on Kickstarter and has — at the time of writing — secured £21,924 of its £300,000 goal. It has 29 days left to earn the entire amount.

It's being developed by Ambient Studios, a UK-based team made up of former Media Molecule, Lionhead and Criterion staffers. Those of you in the know will be aware that Media Molecule is the company behind Sony's popular LittleBigPlanet series, while Lionhead created Fable and Criterion is famous for its Burnout franchise. That's quite a pedigree.

Although Death Inc. is only confirmed for PC, Mac and Linux at present, a Wii U version is possible as the game is being built using the Unity development system. Nintendo Life reader phoenixology has gotten in touch with Ambient Studios and received this response from a spokesperson:

A Wii U version would be amazing!

First thoughts on this are (bearing in mind I'm at home, so I can't talk to any of the programmers right now) is that we're building in Unity. I have no idea whether the engine supports that platform nor the additional work that would be involved in getting it to work. If however, it does and the kickstarter is successful and the game is well received, then I would love to take a look into doing this. It's a great idea!

This certainly looks like an interesting title, and just the kind of thing that could find a receptive audience on the Wii U eShop. Would you be keen to get your hands on this? Leave a comment to tell us!

Thanks to Tim Morgan for the tip.

Exile20

Exile20 said:

So I just sent another message to the Devs with hope if enough people ask we might get a port of it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The "paint' mechanic which they all seem so excited about can be found in "Air Patriots". 1 of the better TD games I've gotten free from Amazon on Android.

Bankai might have beat me to it but he didn't name it.

I really like these types of games but everything seems so tiny, slow paced and far away in this one I don't see it being enjoyable.

GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana said:

hey, the art style on the characters in the book image (specially on the left page of the book) is very similar to that of WindWaker´s. They remind me of the pirate bunch.

Exile20

Exile20 said:

I got a reply from Ambient Studios.

"Hi Exile20,

You're right it could work very well! Our priority is the desktop platforms in the first instance, but it would certainly be great to see it on more platforms in the future. So if we hit our target and more, you never know what might happen. Obviously, using Unity with the arrangements they have with Nintendo could work out well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write, we really appreciate the support,"

Hopefully they make thier target and more.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Ah Media Molecule the people who created lbp for the PS3. I will get ANY GAME that comes from them. Including this one!

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

I really like the look of this one! Especially the cute pug at the end of the Kickstarter video - marketing gold, that is.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Graphically it looks a lot like Little big planet! And tumbs up for the Banjo Kazooie figurine!!

reaper1885

reaper1885 said:

I wonder if it has all the cool tactics of modern terrorists. Once infected: Spit on money that you spend in market. Spit tobacco in theatre and bars. Share bottles and drool on kegs in bars.. Sell all your clothes as used and supposedly clean after a few hours..Spit in public fountains. Go on prostitute tour. Heh,