Mario Picks Up a DICE Sticker at Annual Awards

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It sure looks good on paper

Last week saw a number of games industry professionals descend on Las Vegas for the annual DICE summit. It's an opportunity for various studios and representatives to talk more directly about the industry and projects currently in the works, and like all good gatherings it ends with an awards ceremony.

As an indication of the longevity of this summit, this was the 16th Annual DICE Awards ceremony, with plenty of gongs to cover technical achievements as well as the standard "best of" categories. The big winner of the night was PlayStation Network exclusive Journey, with eight awards, but there was also a victory for Nintendo to enjoy. Holding off tough competition from other 3DS titles as well as some strong entries from the PlayStation Vita, Paper Mario: Sticker Star picked up the award for Handheld Game of the Year.

Certainly a happy result for Mario and his toad companions, ensuring that they won't be feeling too flat in the coming days.

[via gamasutra.com]

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Whoa, Handheld Game of the Year! Paper Mario STicker Star is a great game, so it's no suprise. :)

Gilius

Gilius said:

I underestimated this game. I thought it'd be lame due to the game title and how stickers are used for things. I guess I'll go buy this.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@Nano Don't hesitate, it's a lot of fun. :) What 3DS retail games do you own? I have:
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Sonic Generations
Mario Tennis Open
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Pilotwings Resort
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
Super Monkey Ball 3D
I am thinking about getting Ocarina 3D but I think I should hold out to get games like Harmoknight. What do you think?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MultiMariosonic It depends on if you've ever played OOT before or not. If not then you should've got it last week. If yes they made enough improvements that it warrants another play through. Plus the addition of 3d just makes it that much more beautiful!

As for sticker Star it deserves every bit of that award!

Gilius

Gilius said:

@MultiMariosonic I own.

Mario Kart7
Sonic Gens
Ridge Racers (Actually is a good game)
Mario 3D Land
Mario bros 2
Mario open Tennis
Kid Icarus
Star Fox

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is a big buy for me as well of Sonic Adventure 3 and Super Smash bros in the future.
So expect those being in my hands.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I loved Sticker Star (actually, I finally beat it tonight) & it definitely deserves the award. Great game! :D

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Agreed. That game is currently my favorite 3DS game so far.

Paper Mario 64 > Paper Mario: Sticker Star > Super Paper Mario > Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

By the way, I loved all games in the series and they deserve at least an 8 in my book.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

my top 5 3ds games are:

5.Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 3d Land

4.Paper Mario:Sticker Star

3.Mariokart 7

2.New Super Mario Bros. 2

1.Kid Icarus:Uprising

does anyone actually agree with me?

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising should've been #1.
EDIT: PMSS was pretty good, but not definetly not #1 IMO. Maybe #3, and something like Crimson Shroud, or maybe NightSky being #2, or something like that .MSS coul've ben #2 even, but KIU should've been #1.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

While I'm sure Sticker Star is a good game, I can't help but feel disappointed by it, purely because it's changed so much from the first two games. I just hope that maybe they're watering down the RPG elements from it, to make way for a brand new Mario RPG series on home consoles!

As for handheld game of the year... um.. Pokemon White 2 for me. Too many little flaws with Nintendo's big 3DS games. Kid Icarus's dialog and voice acting actually put me off, NSMB2 just felt like a map pack for the first one, and like I said... Sticker Star just had too much to live up to because of the Paper Mario bit in it's title.

Doma

Doma said:

I was looking forward to PM on the 3DS for a long while prior, but i've yet to buy SS now because i don't appreciate the silly changes made to 'broaden its appeal' or whatever. The Iwata Asks from before was the deciding factor, it soured me completely.
@Peach64 I'd agree with you, but wasn't B/W 2 essentially the same thing that you criticize NSMB2 for being, just a new map expansion? I ignored both for similar reasons. I'm hoping X/Y does a lot more to change things up a bit.

SwimyGreen

SwimyGreen said:

Honestly, I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I've played all of the games in the series. The first two are definitely on my list of top 10 RPGs, and Super Paper mario is still pretty good. Sticker Star feels like a dissapointment just because the gameplay is simplified too much and it drags on at some points. The main hit for me is the story. The first three had really deep and entertaining stories, but SS made it evident from the beginning that it doesnt have it.

I can't really say what game I would've chosen in Papee Marios place because that was the only portable game I got this year believe it or not. Itd probably be Kid Icarus or LittleBigPlanet Vita.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

The Zero Escape franchise is criminally overlooked! Virtue and Kid Icarus are essential purchases to any 3ds fan in my eyes!