Wii U Comparison Video Shows How It Sizes Up Against Other Nintendo Hardware

Posted by Martin Watts

Size isn't everything

ONM has created a video which gives viewers a further insight into the Wii U's exciting new features and how it compares in size to other Nintendo systems.

As you can see in the video below, the Wii U isn't that much bigger than the Wii, so hopefully you won't need to adjust your current home setup too much.

Are you overjoyed about the Wii U's compact size? If so, why not share your excitement in the comments section below?

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

WesCash

WesCash said:

Looks good to me.
Still waiting on Nintendo to release official hardware specs...

SwimyGreen

SwimyGreen said:

Wow. I was expecting that the console would be the same size of the Wii. I had never read anything saying otherwise. I think My entertainment center will be able to handle it though.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

It's quite a lot bigger than I thought it'd be actually. But it still looks pretty sleek.

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

i was playing the demo wii u at gamestop last night, it is way cooler than i thought

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

I would say it looks like 2x the size of wii, the controller is light but strong

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@Blizzaga: I wonder if there's any chance of a DS Player for Wii U :D I have a platinum GameCube and Game Boy Player, I remember importing the latter from Japan because they didn't have them in that colour here. I had to call Nintendo and get them to send me a PAL disc out to run it :)

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Still have 'Cube and GB Player! The Wii will join my Pantheon of old game consoles by the end of this year.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Basically, the Wii Game Pad is the size of the Wii, and the Wii U is a bit longer. I like.

ei8htbit

ei8htbit said:

The chill ambient music, keep-calm-carry-on brit voice over, silky slo-mo HD video with glossy close-up visuals - that was dreamy..

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

headphone input on the top is kinda weird. means you need long cable so it can go behind the wiiUpad

ei8htbit

ei8htbit said:

@EdeN: yeah I quite like the design too, simple. The actual size of the gamepad (the outline size at least) is nearly identical to that of the console itself (see 5:35 - 5:40 where they are right on top of each other). The website lists the dimensions of the console part as 27cm x 17cm, but having played it at some of the events it is amazing how light and comfortable the gamepad is to hold onto despite it`s seemingly large size. It`s about 1 pound (500 grams or so) but I think because it is distributed across the wide interface it really doesn`t feel like it.

GovnaOfGaming

GovnaOfGaming said:

My Local game stop did't have a WiiU so I had to go to best buy. Everything is better with British people.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I don't care about size! I just wanna use the Gamepad! ZombiU looked very impressive! Now I just want the gamepad more and more, the BLACK gamepad!

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

The black Wii U console and gamepad are so glossy. That is going to be a huge fingerprint magnet...

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

Ah can't wait to get one, and set it next to the Nintendo's i have already, also nice Resi 4 GameCube own one of them my self.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

It's actually bigger than I thought it was going to be. I thought it would be the same size as the Wii.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

hey that was a cool video....and yes, I still have my Gamecube in its box and Resident Evil 4......the BEST RE game I ever played. :)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Its not much bigger than I though it would be. The GC looks kinda funny next besides the two slim consoles imo.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Hm, until I saw this video, I thought it was the same size as the Wii. It actually looks a lot bigger, though I'm sure it'll still be very small next to the competing consoles.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

the only thing i hate about this vid is that they used black type back ground on the black wii u model -.- wth why not like a grey table and white back ground <.<

anyway great vid nice to have all the buttons explained and different angle views along with size comparison of the other consoles/handhelds :)

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Blizzaga: I have one too :D

The Wii U will be sitting where my 360 used to sit in my lounge room, (the 360 has been delegated to the garage for the kids to play, as I have hardly any interest in it anymore)