Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Running Onto The Japanese eShop

Posted by Orla Madden

Game Gear returns

The Game Gear version of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is coming to the Japanese 3DS Virtual Console next week. It'll be available for download on 31 October for 300 yen, so gamers in Nintendo's homeland can give themselves a treat this Halloween.

This 8-bit version of the game was also released on the Sega Master System featuring different level designs; you can read our review of that version right here.

This release is yet to be confirmed for Europe and North America, though we see no real reason why it shouldn't arrive at some point in the future. Do any of you remember playing the original, or is it on your wishlist?

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Cipher

Cipher said:

This was my first ever Sonic game, and I absolutely loved it, so if it comes to Europe it's an immediate purchase for me.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Remeber downloading this on th VC, thinking it was Sonic 2 on the Genesis. Some very confusiing years followed.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Ah, the Game Gear version.

I have the Sonic Classic Collection on DS for all the normal versions, but I've never actually played the Game Gear version.

SuperDel

SuperDel said:

Used to play this on Game Gear with 6 AA batteries and that Master System attachment and then the cartridge for the game inserted. How times have changed!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Any more GG titles would be welcome, quite a few have been rumoured to be arrving here (Europe/Pal regions) but there's been nothing since Sonic Labyrinth.

MAB

MAB said:

Cool! and can ye throw in Shining Force while yer feeling generous please SEGA ;)

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I would be happy about this, but I'm not as our two sonic game gear games haven't been released despite them being in the nintendo 3DS eshop for almost 4 months now as "coming soon"

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I remember getting this for my Game Gear when it was first released. I think the first Game Gear Sonic is the best, it had its own unique redrawn look from the Master System and slightly redesigned levels. I found the Sequel 'zoomed in' too far to the action, making some sections quite frustrating to play (first boss comes to mind).

Save states will probably help though, hope SEGA bring on the first game soon, as be great to play that on 3DS.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I played the Master System version, and I have to say it is one of the worst Sonic games I have personally played. Seriously, I just think it is awful. Plus, the screen is zoomed in the Game Gear version, which would make this game even worse.

Sonic 1 Master System on the other hand, that game is freaking amazing.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I got this one earlier this year when I bought a Game Gear, I might just pick it up on the eShop for the restore points. I was never successful in getting past the the 1st level of the 2nd zone so restore points would be nice.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. Those other two Sonic games have been catching cobwebs at the dark, dank recesses of the "Virtual Console" list for months now, since the infamous 8-Bit Summer. Even if this one is announced, I'd be surprised to see it arrive on time. Something fishy going on there.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I wonder how many people that got here from Twitter had a mini heart attack thinking it was the Genesis/MD Sonic 2. I saw it on the NoJ website before coming here.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Come on, SEGA. Get Nintendo to do GBA games so we can see the Sonic Advance series on the 3DS!

Knux

Knux said:

I love this game, even though it's one hard SOB. I haven't beat it...yet. Instant download for me though! :D

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

Probably won't get this as Sonic Adventure DX already has this game built in. I do like to see more Sonic on the eShop, though.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Dahaha, this game is hard enough on Master System. On Game Gear with its tiny screen, it's downright evil. Still getting it when it comes out here though.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

I love triple trouble from GameGear but... when I see those who are similar to that of Genesis, but not equal, the more I appreciate my Sonic Sega Genesis Collection for Nintendo DS... :/

Sun

Sun said:

Yes, Orla, I played the original in Master System II and that version is much better than the Game Gear one. So do yourself a favour and buy it on WiiWare in case you are interested in it, guys.

Windy

Windy said:

Dear Gaming God's Could you please Bring Shining force to the Eshop.......hee Hee