Egads, The Castlevania Movie Adaptation Is Actually Happening, Again

Posted by Damien McFerran

We've been here before, haven't we?

Hollywood loves video games. It simply cannot get enough of them, and constantly picks up well-known franchises in order to churn out dumb action movies with wafer-thin story-lines and terrible special effects. There are few truly successful examples, and those which do fare well commercially - such as Paul W.S. Anderson's Resident Evil flicks - are usually critically derided.

Given that it features one of the most famous villains in human history, Konami's Castlevania is another obvious choice for celluloid stardom, and many individuals have tried and failed to get it to the big screen over the years (including the aforementioned Paul W.S. Anderson).

However, is now seems that someone, somewhere has managed to pull it off. According to Star Trek: The Next Generation's Lt. Worf - possibly less well known by his real name of Michael Dorn - production has already begun, and he's involved.

Speaking to StarTrek.com, Dorn had this to say about the role:

It's a fun little part. It's four days and I'm playing a werewolf that's been around for a gajillion years who works for this vampire. It's not too far from Worf because there's a lot of killing and jumping and sword fights and everything.

As much as we want to see a Castlevania movie that does the epic franchise justice, we can't help but roll out our very best skeptical grimace for this one.

[via gametrailers.com]

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well another great game that will be butchered on the big screen. Why can't you just leave video games alont Hollywood or at least find people who have played the games to make a decent movie.

Sherman

Sherman said:

It's always the same: The director wants to make a "great master piece", so he change/adapt the movie to what he thinks it's best to surprise us all showing us something that we can't predict if we've played the game. But, he has never played the game and ends up making something entirely different from what we all know and love.
Hay can´t this people just make a copy of the original story? The best comic adaptation movie I've seen is Sin City, and you know why? Because they use the damn comic dialogs as the script and the panels as the storyboard.

AVahne

AVahne said:

If they make Dracula sparkle and Alucard into a prissy pretty boy, ugh.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Can someone good make a video game adaptation? Please? Even halfway decent? I mean if we can get Whedon to write the Avengers movie, and we can get the cast of Madmen in LA Noire, and if we can get Robin Williams to do a commercial for a Nintendo game, I don't think video game is such a niche part of entertainment that we can't find people who don't suck to make these movies.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

You know, I really wish that Valve went all-in on their idea to create a Half-Life movie. At least we would get a good, if not great, video game movie.

RR529

RR529 said:

The guy behind the first 2 Spider-Man films is doing the Metal Gear Solid movie, so maybe that one will turn out okay.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I'ld like to see a Castlevania movie. series is pretty cool, you'd think a movie like that they couldn't screw up, maybe? :S

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Ideas for Hollywood:

Paperboy (just watched the trailer)
Devil World
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Punch-Out (A Nintendo blaxploitation film)
Big Rigs (winner of the Razzies)

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Lots of movies with werewolves are crap which is sad because I love werewolves. This one has a werewolf, plus it's adapted from a video game. That's an instant fail right there. I normally watch a movie before I completely deride it though so I can't say anything until I watch this.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

W.S. Anderson? Noooooooooooo! And he's adapting a game I actually care about this time!
Moviebob said it best:

"Die Hard with Dracula."

You don't need to do any more than that.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

id watch it but it would be nice if they could put in all the random little enemies, thats one of the reasons its one of my favorite series

EvilLink

EvilLink said:

I think it'll be a bit hapless fun tbh. I thought the resident evil films were ok as I didn't associate them with the games. It's all fun and games really and to be taken seriously =)

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Werewolves? I'm sorry but I can't think of any of the Castlevania games with a werewolf in it... well at least I haven't played anything since it went 3D. Still... really? That sounds too much like Van Helsing ho ho ho!

MAB

MAB said:

lol ;)
Cinema coming soon poster

action/adventure/romcom/horror starring
Vin Diesel and Rhianna

Directed by
Paul BS Anderson

THIS SUMMER YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO SOMETHING MORE FUN THEN WATCH THIS TRIPE, YES REALLY!

CASTLEVANIA: OVERDRIVE

Rated T

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

They should make an original movie.
App developers should make an original app.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@LavaTwilight There's a werewolf boss in Rondo of Blood, and various enemies in Simon's Quest, Lords of Shadow, Legacy of Darkness (even the cover had a werewolf on it and he's playable), Castlevania 64, all the DS games, Symphony of the Night, and Castlevania: The Arcade. The cancelled 'Resurrection' also had werewolves.

So yes, there's lots of werewolves in Castlevania.

Omarzuqo

Omarzuqo said:

THERE IS a Castlevania movie already!

It's Called Van Helsing, and it's great.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

Van Helsing, lol. I actually just watched that again since I was watching the Underworld movies again (only movies Kate Beckinsale seems to have ever been in) and I hate to say that I actually enjoyed it this time. His sidekick monk is still the best part though, that and the painting/mirror they walk through to get to Drac's castle. Generally though, they still tried to cram way too many monster movies into one with Van Helsing.
Sadly I have to doubt that an official Castlevania movie could ever be even that good. They had better pick a Castlevania game and make a movie out of that specifically (hello Symphony of the Night), not write some crap script that is nothing like Castlevania at all, but they won't do that sad.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

VH isn't that great, but it sure had awesome looking werewolves though. I generally don't like them in movies as they always look like crap, such as the mutated rat thing in Harry Potter.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

@LavaTwilight There have been werewolves in every Castlevania game I've ever played, including the first one ever made. I'm not sure if you even know what Castlevania is.

Anyway, color me skeptical for this one. On the one hand, I'm sure people have learned the lesson and stopped giving video game movies rights to Uwe Boll. On the other hand, every time I think Hollywood can't make anything more stupid, they surprise me by actually doing it. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but they always catch me off-guard.

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

if the director from re is doin this this gonna b and we kno milla jovovich already has a guaranteed unknown main heroine character

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Let me guess, its going to be over the top action that has nothing to do with the source material its based on and another made up female character for his wife to play!!! Yea, make this movie and the whole franchise will be going to hell in a handbag, just look at the RE movies!!!