Toki Tori Hatches on European eShop Next Week

Posted by Mike Mason

Is it cheep enough?

Two Tribes' platform puzzler Toki Tori is chirruping its way into the European 3DS eShop next week. It was originally released on Game Boy Color in 2001; if you missed it back then, here's your chance to see what all the squawking was about.

The concept is the same as the WiiWare version. You join the titular chick on a mission to rescue the eggs of his unborn siblings, which have been snatched away to a mysterious castle. Toki Tori has to deploy tools, such as bridges, to dodge traps and grab all the eggs in each stage before escaping unharmed. In some stages, that's far easier said than done.

Toki Tori will be ready to scramble your brains from 2nd August. It'll cost £3.60 / €4.00. Are you up to the challenge?

Thanks to Bass_X0 for the news tip.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Awesome! :O
Wait. Europe? Looks like NA found something to complain about now that Wario Land's out! :P

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I played this briefly a few years ago and its pretty much identical to the WiiWare version, except you have to press a button to walk up steps on the GB Color version whereas its done automatically on the WiiWare version. I did like how the GB Color version had a somewhat cool little intro whereas the WiiWare version did not.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

My guess is that this will reach the U.S next week as well. Probably going to be part of 8-bit summer.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Yeah this will be nice to play when it hit's NA e-shop. :)

@Bass_X0,

There's a wiiware version of this out?

Huh never played GBC version or wiiware version curious to play this when it hit's NA e-shop might try wiiware version later. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

accc

accc said:

Why does Europe get so much more awesomer stuff than we do over here in the states? :( Toki Tori on Wii is one of the best puzzle games of all time. I hope the US gets the original version soon too so I can see how well it holds up.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

£3.60 for a Game Boy Colour title! Only G 'n' W Gallery 2 is at that price for GBC, so that's a great price!

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I remember this game. It was awesome back then IMO. I got the wiiware version too. A good puzzle game, if you ask me...

Tethers

Tethers said:

So, the GBC version has the same stages as the Wiiware version?

If so, then: :(

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I'm aware this is almost identical to the Wiiware version, so is it really worth buying on my 3ds? Perhaps only for the "cool intro!"

Collo

Collo said:

Hi Everyone,

Collin from Two Tribes here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding Toki Tori for 3DS!

Looking foward to hearing what you think of the release next week!

Collin

Luigi_is_better

Luigi_is_better said:

@ColloCan you confirm if the levels are the same as the WiiWare version or not? Also, I loved that game, it was one of my first WiiWare downloads. But I beat it a few years ago now, so I might buy it now as well. Thanks for making this great game, keep up the good work! I love when companies talk to us fans like this. Thanks for that too!

Collo

Collo said:

@ Luigi_is_better

The WiiWare version content was updated and remixed a little, but the core is basically identical.

It also has a totally unnecessary time limit and a jump button that only hops up single tiles. But that's because we didn't know what we were doing at the time ;)

Any others?

Collo

Collo said:

@TheDreamingHawk

That'll probably be a while longer, we had to arrange some things with the ESRB and I believe there are some translations left to be done. Should not be too long hopefully.

NEXT!!! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I thought the Game Boy Color version was published by Capcom...

It was. But now Two Tribes can publish their own games whereas before they couldn't.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Brilliant, been looking forward to this one since It was announced a while ago. It had a provisional Q2 release date, so i'm glad it's on it's way now, only slightly late.

Collo

Collo said:

Hi! @3dsiscool

It's coming along nicely, expect more details soon! As for working with Nintendo, you'll have to ask them. We're simply a developer making Nintendo games :)

Any other questions people?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

So, level layout is almost the same? Having played and completed the WiiWare version some time ago, does playing the GBC version offer anything new and/or different besides different controls, music and a time limit?

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Collo Are there any other games you made back then on GBC or on other virtual console systems? If so, is there a chance that could happen like Toki Tori?

Collo

Collo said:

@TheDreamingHawk

For Game Boy Color we only made Toki Tori. The device was only actively supporter for a year or two before GBA came out, and that's about the time we took to finish it :)

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Never played the original, but the WiiWare version was a game that got all this glowing praise from the critics and fans of Nintendolife, so I bought it, played it for like maybe a day and then never returned to it. Unless the original is different somehow, I'll pass.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

.....Hmm, well, I'm going to assume the answers to my questions are Yes and No respectively.

Collo

Collo said:

Sorry GeminiSaint, missed your questions!

The game has something of a storyline with animated cutscenes that went missing when we made the WiiWare version. It also has different music and some other small changes.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Is there any other site I can go on (Like facebook page or a blog) Where I could learn the info about the NA release? Kinda want to know from the devs right when it happens.

PS, you should try To make a Petit computer sprite set of Toki Tori when that come to EU.