Takuya Matsumoto: 'Nintendo Influence Was Big' on The Last Story

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Mario Club has tough taskmasters

Takuya Matsumoto has worked on some high quality SEGA titles in the past, such as NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast, and was the development lead on The Last Story, the excellent Wii RPG that finally arrives in North America on 10th July.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Matsumoto discussed the development processes and design choices that were put into the adventure. He also shared insight into the work of the famous Mario Club, Nintendo's testing team, and how it demanded high standards from the developers.

There were a whole lot of requests from Mario Club. All the requests that we got were spot on. They really know what they’re talking about, because they have a lot of skill and knowledge.

In a way, what we created was fine, but it was still rough around the edges. But I think by going through Nintendo, it really took out the unnecessary parts and refined it as a game.

Refinement is one of the most important aspects. The Nintendo influence was big, in a good way; at the same time it gave me confidence that if I really pushed my boundaries harder, then I can get to this level on my own.

It's not uncommon to hear third-parties that have collaborated with Nintendo discuss the exacting standards that are placed upon them. Takuya Matsumoto, for one, clearly thinks that it helped to deliver a stronger game, so are any of you North American gamers planning to track this down for another Wii RPG hurrah?

[via gamasutra.com]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Thats all good that Nintendo Club helped make this game awesome... BUT WHY IS SYRENNE'S VOICE SO GOD AWFUL!?!?

BenAV

BenAV said:

@bulby1994 I didn't have a problem with it.
She had a lot of personality and was the most interesting character in the game.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

The way the article is written seems to imply NiGHTS was on the Dreamcast. If NiGHTS was on the Dreamcast, the console would have never folded and would have sold 160 million units and ended world hunger at the same time.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I have been interested in trying this game out for quite some time. I'll get it at some point, hopefully sooner than later.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Nintendo of America didn't give two about this game thus refusing to localize and published it. If it wasn't for XSeed, this game wouldn't even consider for an NA release.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I got this on pre-order also! I can;t wait to get it.

Nintendo knows how to make games. I wonder if the same effort went into Pandora's Tower. If not maybe this is way they don't feel confident to release it in North America.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@BenAV I agree, her voice acting was fine and she was my favourite character too. I also like SyrennexLowell much more than ZaelxCalista in terms of couples from this game.
@SBOY That has nothing to do with this as Nintendo had no involvement in those games.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

@SBOY

If Nintendo's Mario Club were involved in 3rd party games, we'd get a lot of quality titles. Even games that were never thought to be a success lol

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@3DS Supporter

That is precisely what my preorder says. The one that debuts on July 10th in the US is Rhythm Thief, but not this one.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Oh hell yes, day 1 purchase, thank you very much! This is the only reason I joined Operation Rainfall

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I don't think XSEED has announced a release date yet. I think the dates retailers are using are just placeholders. I could be wrong, of course.

Bankai

Bankai said:

It explains a lot, really. Nintendo hasn't got a clue how to put an RPG together, and this game plays like it was made by people who have no clue how to put an RPG together.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@LollipopChoSaw - Paper Mario & Earthbound say hi.

As for Last Story, I'm about 30 hours in, and I'm enjoying it immensely (and this is coming from someone who usually avoids JRPGs). Oh, and according to the reviews, I think a lot of people will disagree with you, LollipopChoSaw.

I'm glad Mistwalker dared to innovate the battle system, as well as streamlining (not 'dumbing down') the genre's normally-fiddly features.

Oh, and the visuals are great (both in terms of art style and tech).

Personally, I'd give this game a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Oh, and the game IS pretty easy...but meh, I'm still having fun.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

are you sure its coming that release date? because amazon.ca lists it as july 31st as well as eb games?