E3 2012: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Stands Alone on Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Waiting for a new challenger

When 3DS was announced, it seemed like publishers rushed to announce their fighting games for the system, but Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is something of a lone wolf on Wii U.

While Warner Bros.' Injustice: Gods Among Us takes a serious look at DC Comics characters, TTT2 went a bit tongue-in-cheek with its trailer, showing Heihachi Mishima eat a Mega Mushroom and lay the smack down (people still say that, right?) on Jin Kazama. Last year's video showed the Wii U GamePad used to draw on characters with a 'mark of shame'; here's hoping that survives in TTT2.

Namco Bandai tells us it'll have exclusive Wii U content, but we don't know what it is yet.

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES ANNOUNCES TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 (WORKING TITLE) AND TANK! TANK! TANK! (WORKING TITLE) FOR THE Wii U SYSTEM

Both Titles to be Available Winter 2012 for the Wii U System

LOS ANGELES, Calif., (June 5, 2012) – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced TEKKEN™ TAG TOURNAMENT 2 (working title) and TANK! TANK! TANK!™ (working title) for the Wii U™ system from Nintendo. The upcoming titles offer their own unique brand of explosive arcade action for video game fans of all ages.

TEKKEN™ TAG TOURNAMENT 2 (working title)

The TEKKEN series smashes its way to Wii U with the largest roster of characters and modes to ever hit a Nintendo console. Based on the TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT™ 2 arcade engine, TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 for Wii U features stunning graphics, an unparalleled fighting system, online multiplayer and robust customization options. TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 for Wii U will also feature exciting exclusive content for the Wii U system, giving the title its own unique flair that will appeal to both hardcore and casual fans of the fighting game genre.

TANK! TANK! TANK! (working title)

Get ready for one of the most bombastic battle-party-games ever with TANK! TANK! TANK! Players will find a fantastic armament of tanks and weapons at their disposal to dispatch the enemy threat, including mechanical insects, gigantic dragons and even other players. Team up with three other friends to battle with or against each other in fully destructible environments in a variety of action-packed story and multiplayer modes where weapons are never in short supply and threats are hiding behind every corner. Players will be able to arm their tanks with lasers, machine guns, missile pods, the dreaded Colossus Missile along with power-ups scattered throughout each map.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Never played a Tekken game, but this looks kinda cool. Love the mushroom part. :D

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm happy to see Tekken coming to a Nintendo home console. I loved the Mega Mushroom scene too!

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Tekken's too slow for me, I'll wait for a gorgeous HD sprite-based 2D fighter to hit the system (BlazBlue please)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This might be the only 3rd Party Wii U game I'd get, assuming they really are going all out with the Wii U features for something that genuinely improves the game.

mamp

mamp said:

When he ate that mushroom and got giant I thought O_O
I haven't had breakfast yet!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

tekken prime 3D's lack of modes was what let the game down. let's hope this wii U version is miles better than that game.

NSFWHOS

NSFWHOS said:

James, you might wanna alter the article; Heihachi is fighting Kazuya Mishima, not Jin Kazama.
I agree with your premise, though, there isn't many fighting games going around, maybe because TTT2 just so happens to be coming out now so Namco decided to port it to Wii U. I believe that when a new Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue or DarkStalkers comes out, it will be released on the Wii U as well; it's just a matter of time.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Possibly my least favorite fighting franchise along side with DOA. I remember getting the original Tekken back on the PS1. It was pretty damn unique for it's time being one of the first 3D fighters outside of Virtua Fighter for the Arcade & Sega Saturn. Yet Tekken as is, is the most robotic & delayed fighting franchise on the planet. There's something about it i just don't quite like....Yet Maybe, just maybe i'll be open minded about this and give it a chance...

That asidey'! I'd love for a Soul Calibur V announcement or even the new Mortal Kombat...It's bound to happen right, considering SCV is slashing it's glorified way on the 3DS. B-)

NSFWHOS

NSFWHOS said:

@WaveBoy I think you should give it a chance, TTT2 plays great and if a lot of people get it on Wii U, online will be a lot of fun. You should also give DOA5 a chance, that seems like it'll be a good game.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

if tekken tag does well on the wii U as well as the DC fighting game, and i hope it does, i hope other fighting games see the light of day on the system like DoA 5, soul calibur 5, darkstalkers and sega's virtua fighter series; my favourite fighting game franchise.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is true that there are not a lot of Wii U fighting games announced, or even third party Japanese games announced. And the controller is not an excuse since you can use the Wii U Pro Controller.

That mushroom part really reminded me of Smash Brothers.

RR529

RR529 said:

Never have played a Tekken, so this could be worth a go. I'd be completely ecstatic if Tecmo Koei announced DOA5 for Wii U though (my favorite fighter).

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Tekken on 3DS was a huge let down. I hope TTT2 will be good. Just not sure what console to get it on.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

Jus imagine Mortal Kombat 10, Street Fighter V, Soul Calibur 5, Virtua Fighter 6, Killer Instinct 3 and a Dragon Ball Z game all in HD on da WII U...Would be da ultimate game expirence of all time

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Tekken Tag Tournament is one of the handful of games I have left on my PS2. Also, Tekken is my favourite fighting series. Hopefully they'll do a better job of modes content than Prime 3DS Ed. TBH, I found SSFIV and DoAD better than T3DPE on the 3DS overall. This is an insta-buy though.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Tekken Tag is one of THEE best fighting games! I love that the Wii U is getting the sequel, another must buy

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

TTT was the last Tekken game I actually got decently involved in and have prayed for a TTT2... and now I'll get it for Wii U... wow, what a twist of fate...

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@WaveBoy Soul Calibur 5 is coming to 3DS?! Where'd you hear that? That would be awesome! Why didn't they say anything about that at the 3DS conference instead of just wasting an hour of my life giving details about games that were already announced?