Amazon Removes £199.99 Wii U Listing

Posted by James Newton

Update: Pre-orders cancelled

Update: Amazon has cancelled pre-orders for the Wii U, saying "the product was listed in error". Bad luck, everyone.

We had a feeling that Amazon listing Wii U for £199.99 was too good to be true, and now the retailer's taken down its cheap listing.

The Wii U product page now generates a 404 error, with the Wii U white page not offering any prices.

Whether Amazon will honour its cheap pre-order is anyone's guess, but some of you may remember Tesco cancelling customer orders when it 'mistakenly' listed the Nintendo 3DS for far cheaper than its RRP.

[via amazon.co.uk]

BenAV

BenAV said:

No big surprise there.
Hopefully for the people that pre-ordered, they'll still get it for that price.

I just want them to hurry up and announce the official price so I can finish paying for it sooner rather than later.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Tesco did it too when they 'mistakenly' offered ipad2 for just £50! Surely if the money has changed hands then it's a deal done?
Anyway that's why Amazon don't take payment til the day of release! I'll be watching and waiting...

Crafton

Crafton said:

I got a pre-order in last night after seeing it on Hot UK Deals, one of the posts I read on there is quite interesting:

"An Amazon customer service representative, speaking to me over the phone, tells me that all information in their Black Wii U listing - including price and date - comes from their suppliers (not the manufacturer). I was also assured that this console is covered by their price guarantee, including the eventuality that the price increases once customers have placed their order (though the on-site guarantee mentions only decreases). This means that if you order a Black Wii U from Amazon for £199.99, that is the maximum price you will pay"

and another post:

"just been on the chat to the customer service again, and i ask them why the ability to pre-order has been removed. they said that demand was high and they only have limited stocks, they also said the delivery date which is july the 14th can change"

So fingers crossed we will get it for that price.

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

I pre-ordered last night.

I wasnt planning to get one at Launch but at that price its too good to miss.

If Amazon dont honour it (their mistake) its no biggy i'll just cancel my order

EDIT: I've just checked the my account section of the Amazon website and my order is still there with the same price etc, they've even sent me a confirmation email.

I guess i'll just have to sit back and see what happens.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Thing is we don't know if there will b a black wii u at launch. Also, when I go to my pre-order list on my amazon account, the actual description of my order seems to be missing! I'll have to go on my laptop tonight as it might be just my misbehaving smart phone.

Chris77

Chris77 said:

@LEGEND_MARIOID when you go into your orders you should still see "Wii U - Black" but clicking on the description just gives the 404 page as they obviously took that down.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

Damn, I missed a trick there. I'd have pre-ordered the sh*t out of a black Wii U for £199.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Wheels2050 Yeah, I think yesterday's article should just have had an edited headline title, no need to start over today, I think about half of yesterdays comments came after it was taken down anyway.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Just got an e-mail from amazon saying they have cancelled my order as the listing was put up in error. They send their sincerest apologies and warmest regards. B*st*rds!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Yep, have that email too, seems they have cancelled all orders placed, oh well.

HaNks

HaNks said:

the dream is over indeed.

*makes note not to buy the actual thing from amazon

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

I'm never going to buy any console from an online source.
When I got my 3DS, which I preordered, it was delivered to a different place before it got to my house. I'm lucky whoever it was forst delivered to was an honest person.

Then, with this...

Nope. No online for me ever again.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Why were either of these stories posted as news. Did they actually believe there was a single CHANCE this was real.