DS Car Navigation Arrives in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Courtesy of Toyota

A lot of modern cars have satellite navigation and as many buttons as Apollo 11, but Toyota has decided that perhaps the whole experience can be a bit more easy-going in the Japanese market, if a bit of Nintendo is thrown into the mix. The car manufacturer has created the Smart Navi car navigational system that uses a DS — and we assume a 3DS — as a navigational remote control.

As reported by Kotaku, Kuruma de DS is a DS cart that links, through bluetooth, with a Smart Navi system and then allows a passenger to use the sat-nav with the DS, through a user-friendly interface that features Miis, maps and sight-seeing information. With a speedometer, quiz and the ability to play DS sound through the car speakers, it sounds like a fun gizmo.

If you live in Japan and fancy giving this a try, however, you'll need to save some serious Yen. The best Smart Navi system is ¥206,850 (US$2,586), while Kuruma de DS is purchased separately through Toyota for ¥7,329 ($92): not a cheap luxury. Still, it's DS satellite navigation, what's not to like?

[via kotaku.com]

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I love technology like this. Not that I have the money for things like this. But I do love the technology.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

"With the ability to play DS sound through the car speakers"
That would be annoyng and funny at the same time.
Hadouken!Hadouken!Hey,listen!

BlueBana

BlueBana said:

DS sounds trough the cars speakers.. if I had this technology in my car I would play Zelda the whole ride!

Obvious78

Obvious78 said:

Now there is a hole in the market that needs to be filled...I dont think it will have much success. I do wonder how it will interact and how save this will be.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Sigh.. Long gone are times when game systems were used for gaming.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'd rather get one of those prototype cars that drives itself, and play my 3DS :D and I can already play my 3DS's sound through my car, I got a tape-adapter that let's me plug in a little wire that's basically a headphone jack :D

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I guess texting while driving doesn't cause enough accidents so that had to add this.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Is it just me, or is using any type of game console while driving generally a bad idea? People have wrecks from texting while driving; I'm sure linking your DS up to your satellite system while you drive is just as bad, if not worse.