Gaijin Drops Biggest Hint Yet at Wii U Runner2

Posted by James Newton

Place your bets now, please

Gaijin Games' BIT.TRIP series started on WiiWare, but the studio's next game, BIT.TRIP Presents Runner2, is for HD consoles only. But wait — Wii U is a HD console, right? Yes it is, so we tracked down Gaijin's Alex Neuse and Mike Roush at PAX East to question them.

Our editor-at-large and t-shirt-hander-outer Jon Wahlgren quizzed the pair on the chance of CommanderVideo coming to Wii U:

Jon: With a pushed release date to October or November and the Wii U releasing around then too, does that mean that you’ll try to finagle your way on there?
Alex Neuse: (Smiles) I wonder. I wonder if that means that. Let me put it this way: we have a Wii U dev kit, and our game is coming out around the time that system launches, so that would be pretty cool.

With Neuse still working on his poker face, Jon followed up:

What excites you about the Wii U controller?

AN: I have to think of it in terms of Runner2 now — thinking about it broadly would be too much — but if we were to do a Wii U version, what if you could have a pick-up in the game that reveals hidden bonuses and stuff that you can’t see on your screen but have to hold the controller up? You’re still playing but it’s sort of like an X-ray vision.

If you want to know more about Runner2, our sister site Push Square has a Gaijin Games interview all about Runner2.

[via pushsquare.com]

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Yeah, I've been reading the strong rumours on the internet and reckon its almost a certainty. Oh, and insta-download

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

E3 confirmation guaranteed. This guy was exploding with 'I want to tell the world about this'!

iphys

iphys said:

It's about the only thing that would interest me in getting a WiiU at this point, as strange as that is.

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

Add into that their official Twitter feed (@bittrip) about 5 minutes ago.
"What Wii U features would you like to see on the OFF CHANCE that we bring Runner2 to the platform?"

Henmii

Henmii said:

So it is almost confirmed then. Could be a fun game. I still need to track down a copy of Bit trip complete though. According to the site of my specialized shop, they will finally get it tommorow!

Popyman

Popyman said:

That xray thing is a really neat idea! I'd love to see a Metroid Prime game use that to scan the environment. =P

Still, I would rather see this on the 3DS.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I sort of agree with those who are not keen on the new art style. But I can see why they'd want to get away from the simplistic Atari style... I talked with the artist at PAX (is that Roush?) and he thought he'd squeezed out all the creativity he could on the first 6. Plus he said they felt they were getting typecast a bit. Which would be a bummer.
But yeah, not super keen on Runner2's art. I think if this was a different game, I'd be down with it, but since this gameplay is so aligned with the BIT.TRIP original, it's hard to make that change.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Gaah if this comes to Wii U I will have a harder time not buying a Wii U. Decisions, decisions...