Resi Revelations Takes a Hit in UK Charts

Posted by James Newton

Needs a herb

After a stellar performance landing at number six in the UK charts in its first week, Resident Evil Revelations drops to number 19 in its second week on sale.

Capcom's survival horror shooter sits a few places below Mario Kart 7 in 17th and Super Mario 3D Land at 16, the highest-placed 3DS-exclusive game on the chart.

Revelations is out this week in North America so it'll be interesting to see how it fares on the other side of the pond.

[via ukie.org.uk]

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I won't be getting the FULL game just yet (I spent all of my money on the CPP), but I will be picking up the new attachment and playing the demo with it.

SeVok

SeVok said:

There are many games on sale at the moment, being 19th on such list does not really say a lot I think

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I want a solitary white 3DS console. can only buy with mario 3d at the moment (I dont want this game and it puts the bundle up to £165 which is too much money)

When I can get me a £130 white 3DS I will be buying resident evil to play on it. This game looks really good.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

When you consider February is a slow sales month, no 3DS title in the top 15 is not a good thing.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

The thing is with AAA games on Nintendo hardware is they don't necessarily hit number one but they continue to sell for months and months and months.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

lololololoolololololol.

@7
that's only ture for nintendo mad games. third parties need sales now as they get no benefit from hardware sales.

but who really expected this game to be a massive chart topper when its running into a spring full of big games.

Terra

Terra said:

So, how many units is that exactly between last week and this week? And what about the whole of Europe?

Supereor

Supereor said:

@1

Lol, I hope NL's beloved European users didn't take that as an offence.

Gee, nearly every game series is making their debut on the 3DS(and not necessarily all of them are good ones), and now Resident Evil dropped sales in Europe. Maybe they don't like the game because it has "party game" aspects. In it's description, it says "built from the ground up to take full advantage of the Nintendo 3DS's features", and usually party games do that too. I mean, look at Spongebob Squigglepants and Pac-Man Party, they were the earliest to utilize all of the Nintendo 3DS's features.

Ryno

Ryno said:

This is the type of news that will lead to Capcom not making exclusives for Nintendo.

GamerDude

GamerDude said:

In its first week on sale in japan and Europe the game topped the the WORLDWIDE chart thanks to HUGE sales in japan. It sold 234,983 so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is still bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oregano

Oregano said:

People have been saying this same stuff for every 3DS games and it's just getting tiring. People were even saying Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land flopped due to chart placement in the UK. As a Brit I can proudly proclaim that in the grand scheme of things UK chart placement means absolutely nothing.

In relation to this everyone was proclaiming Mercenaries 3D a massive flop and it met expectations.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Well the reason is obvious, people were expecting to buy a copy of Resident Evil: Revelations but instead found this Revelaitons game. They are just confused by the misspelling. ;)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

About the tagline, the "h" in herb is silent, so the article should be "an" in both British and American English.

Rensch

Rensch said:

I played the demo today and I am surprised to see what the 3DS is actually capable of.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Yeah, here in Australia (which is based on UK English), we pronounce the "h" in herb.

I'm amazed that in 18 posts, no one thought that this might be the reason the sales dropped off: 3DS install base in England is a pittance compared to the install bases for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. I don't think anyone was that much of an RE fan that they went and bought hundreds of copies of the same game, so of course the sales are going to lag compared to the game sales for the other consoles.

Groovius

Groovius said:

I really hope this game does well. If Capcom doesn't see RE:R as a (commercial) success, then 3DS owners just sent a message to publishers and developers: no, we DON'T want big-budget, console-quality, adult-oriented games on this system. iirc, the DS' (fantastic) Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars bombed in sales despite rave reviews, after which that one-time exclusive was ported to the PSP. And we never got any other games like that on the DS.

Sales do matter, folks. Please show the world there is a place for M-rated games with incredible production values on the 3DS. Nintendo's own stuff is always fantastic, and we'll always have it, but variety is the spice of life. ;)

(My copy is en route from Amazon). :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The e3 trailer and recent demo were too bloody for my tastes. It's not unusual for big FPS games to get record-busting sales on launch day only to lose momentum to the more casual family-oriented titles that continue to sell years later (MK7 and SM3DL will continue to sell boatloads for the next 5 years). You can also strike some killer deals on those type "hardcore" FPS games after they hit the bargain bin (because you know most everybody that wanted them picked one up at launch, assuming they already had the console). Another issue here is that many multi-platform games just seem to play better on their console counterparts than on handheld, though the increased capabilities of each successive handheld generation is quickly bridging that gap.

Picola

Picola said:

I wouldnt read too much into this. i have no doubt that one of the main reasons for poor sales relates to supply. I live in a major uk city, and the monday after it launched, u could not buy the game in any of the major games retailers (seriously, i tried game, gamestation, grainger games, hmv, aswell as asda and morrisons). they all told me the same thing - there had been a problem with shipments of copies, and they had gotten like half a dozen copies each from capcom! so i for one physically could not buy the game when i wanted it.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

So Nintendo focusing too much on Europe is not really paying off in the UK at least? It's a finicky market.

They were able to increase sales of the 3DS in many parts of Europe. The system doing better than the DS or Wii did in the old world. But in the UK things barely change for the better.

@Groovius In Japan, the game is already on its way to sell out its first shipment. Should do better in the US.