Zelda and Mario Break Into UK Top Ten

Posted by James Newton

Strong showing

In one of the most crowded release weeks in the gaming calendar, Nintendo's key players have performed well to enter the UK top ten chart.

Super Mario 3D Land leapt into ninth place, while The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword grabbed seventh position.

Further down the chart, the latest crossover between plumber and hedgehog, Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, got one foot on the chart podium at number 20.

Related Games

Tails

Tails said:

Skyward Sword will get to the top soon. With Black Friday around the corner in the US I am more than positive Skyward Sword and 3D Land will fly off the shelves. Very nicely done so far Nintendo.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

A pretty strong showing from Mario in particular, considering that the 3DS is early in its lifespan and only just starting to pick up steam.

I reckon Skyward Sword will go higher, especially if gamers who own a Wii as a second console are looking for a new title nearer to Christmas.

James

James said:

Remember the UK charts cover sales from Monday to Sunday night: both Halo and Assassin's Creed launched on Tuesday, so they were bound to chart higher.

Honestly, in a busy week like this, I think top 10 positions are great achievements.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Well, if two other competing games were released that week as well, then it really is something. I expect Mario 3D Land and Skyward Sword to creep ever upwards as the weeks go by to Christmas.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I expected 1st and 2nd. What are they losing out to? Ah well, at least I pre-ordered both. I pick up my Skyward Sword Copy sometime today when I get the notice from gamestop.

SLiM

SLiM said:

Lots of good games out this Holiday season. Looking forward to squeezing in lots of game time :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Its good to seem them doing so well and it would be even better if they climb higher into the charts soon.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Hopefully this Zelda opens strong ( too early to tell yet), but I'd expect it to take a while for word of mouth to make it more popular with less dedicated video gamers and those who aren't particularly Nintendo fans.

Tethers

Tethers said:

@ Nintendolife: Why don't you post the charts in a news about the charts? O_o

And considering the installbase of the Wii in UK, a seventh place isn't "strong"...

Tethers

Tethers said:

You have to pay just for showing the charts, even without the sale-numbers? O_o

motang

motang said:

Looks like Nintendo is having a grand ol' part (GOP ... see what I did there), at the end of the year!