Sonic Generations 3DS Launch Trailer Gathers Speed

Posted by James Newton

Out this week

SEGA's mascot just hit 3DS in North America today, and to celebrate here's a brand new launch trailer.

The video shows off Sonic Generations' stages, bosses, multiplayer and StreetPass mode, so if you've been waiting to see which classic and modern Sonic moments are revisited in the 'hog's first 3DS outing then wait no longer.

Sonic Generations is out in North America today and reaches Europe on Friday. We'll have a full review soon.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

I was slightly disappointed by the lack of variety in stages in the console versions of Generations, so hopefully the 3DS version doesn't let me down.

I love how they kept the Sonic Rush-style gameplay for Modern Sonic (in both 3DS and console versions). I absolutely love the speed boosting through enemies, going as fast as you can.

Hokori

Hokori said:

well im glad Nintendo gets a great "HD" title, they deserve more multiplatform titles, like RE5 and Bayonetta if Wii U gets some of the titles ive missed out on since they were "HD" exclusive ill be happy :) I know people hate the idea, but what if we get both ports AND New titles??????

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

This looks like an amazing game... might get it over SM3DL and Mario Kart 7, if only because I'm a Sonic fan, and this game is sure to ignite some deep Genesis nostalgia.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

I dunno, I really enjoyed the Console/PC version of sonic generations, the rush style just doesn't match up to full on 3d sonic.

It's also too similar for my tastes to classic sonic. I'll probably be getting this eventually but its not high up my list of wants at the moment.

Edit: Oh! That was a sonic rush stage in the trailer! Water Palace!Wouldn't have been my first choice, but at least they managed to get one handheld stage in there.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

@AbuJaffer
I'm currently on the last boss of the game and I can tell you that it is in no way a better pick than SM3DL. The game is short and uninspired. What content there is is enjoyable, but there are only 14 playable levels. There is no reason that DIMPS could not have put double the levels in. The lack of video (even Sonic Colors DS had video) is a real slap in the face. If you are a hard core Sonic fan, I would suggest it when it comes down in price, but $40 is too much for a package which is too little.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Lol'd at the tagline, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about this one. It looks fun, but the reviews haven't been so hot, and I'm worried about content. Hmm...

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This looks pretty good but I wish Sega had done a straight port of the ps3/360 versions with the graphics being the only difference as that version looks better.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@11
I doubt that's as simple as it sounds, otherwise there's quite a few games that I would like to see get that treatment. :(

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

It's funny how they took the most 3D looking Modern Sonic scenes when they're really all 2D.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

Wowee!
That's an amazing trailer - it even looked 3D on my PC!
Or maybe I've just got funny eyesight.
:D

Punny

Punny said:

Looks just as good as the console version. Not sure if it can beat 3D Land, though. I certainly hope it's longer...

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

@Yogsoggoth (7)

How did you get the game? Are you a reviewer for some big-name website? :)

14 levels isn't bad at all. It's more than the console version (which was way too short, IMO). There wasn't enough level variety (no ice stages, and the only lava stage was the horrible Crisis City). The best levels in the console version are Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, Seaside Hill, and that's it.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

This is the first time that i really like what i see 'bout this game. And just in time before the release.
Might have to wait for more reviews though.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

@Yogsoggoth

Thanks for the heads up... I'll give it a couple months to fall in price... and to think I was expecting this game to be much LARGER than the Rush games, seeing how much larger the cartridge is...

Ah, well, Mario Kart 7 it is. SM3DL looks great, but I need a game that'll last me a while... not to mention I want to play some hardcore multiplayer Mario Kart!

XD375

XD375 said:

I'll just warn you all in advance that unless you like Sonic 4 mixed with Sonic Rush, you're not going to like this game.

@tendoboy1984
When they say this game has fourteen levels, they mean acts, not zones. That's significantly less than the HD version's eighteen acts.

360/PS3/PC: