Sega Preparing a New Shining Game to "Sum Up the Series"

Posted by James Newton

Might we see Shining Generations?

Last month we brought you news about the Shining Force SOS campaign, an attempt to reunite Sega with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn developer Camelot and bring about a glorious return of the Shining Force series. While the campaign has not yet received an official response from Camelot or Sega, there may be some hope on the horizon, as current Shining leader Tsuyoshi Sawada has confirmed a new title in the series is on the way,

It's been ten years since the Shining series was re-invented. Currently, we're preparing a title that sums up the whole series and should provide an answer to users' curiosity. I can't give details yet, but I'd like to reveal it before we go too far into the future.

While it's not clear whether Sawada is referring to the original Shining style forged on Sega's Mega Drive and Saturn consoles, or the later more action-based games released after the Game Boy Advance, a Shining game to sum up the series provides a glimmer of hope for the return of the tactical battling that fans of the series love. Hopefully the game will find its way to 3DS, as one of the 10 Sega games we want on 3DS.

[via 1up.com]

madgear

madgear said:

Best news ever! Although there have been many Shining games withing the last ten years - all of which abandoned the awesome battle system of 1-3.

I really, really hope it uses the battle system of the first three games, as that was what Shining Force was all about. It's just not Shining Force otherwise...

Edit: and NOT on 3DS as I don't own one lol. Wii please.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

So from Force to Feather? I kind of read that SEGA was brining back one old IP ages ago so I guess this must be it?

Interested although I am more of a Tactics fan. Would be funnier if we had a Golden Sun/Shining Force crossover.

James

James said:

It's a curious comment — I'm not sure if he's referring to a game summing up the "reinvented" game or the Shining series as a whole, from Darkness to Hearts. We'll see!

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Mixed feelings... the recent Shining games have been quite mediocre, in my opinion. If that's all they're doing, this is nothing to get excited about.

nintendo87

nintendo87 said:

i think shining in the darkness remake for the 3ds would be the best.The wall monster would look cool

James

James said:

@Xkhaoz Never picked up for translation outside of Japan, same as Shining Hearts. In fact, in Europe there hasn't been a Shining game released since Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon on GBA nearly 7 years ago!

Noire

Noire said:

If it's Shining Force than sign me up. If it's something else, well... then I'm not so sure I want it.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Gyeaarrghh.. this is scary. Shining Force is my favorite series of games, and Shining Force III is in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Unless Camelot is involved, this will probably be more of the same crap Sega has been releasing for the past 10 years that has been disgracing the Shining Force name. And if they DO try to make an actual factual Shining Force game... I still can't imagine it'll be anything close to 1~3. Also, they'll probably release it for some system I have no interest in owning.

James

James said:

@Motang They're superb! Definitely pick up Shining Force II on Virtual Console if you want a really involving tactical RPG. Even better than Fire Emblem in my eyes!

@Kurtasbestos I see you're a "glass half full" kind of guy! :D

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

James Newton -> I WANT to believe that a Shining Force IV will be released that will be my new favorite game of all time... but after being let down by Sega many, many times over many years by their handling of the Shining series, it's really hard to imagine that ever happening. But still, here's hoping...