Charge Your Wii Remotes with Sonic Induction Power

Posted by James Newton

Sit them down, charge them up

There's truly no more stylish way to charge your Wii Remote's exhausted batteries than this Sonic the Hedgehog induction charger, but there are plenty of cheaper ones: this baby will set you back a hefty $49.99.

Powering your Remotes by the magic of induction, you can replenish their battery power without removing their little silicone jackets. The stand charges two Remotes simultaneously, and also looks pretty cool, but you can see that for yourself.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog's very first appearance, and this induction charger is MadCatz's contribution to the celebrations. Sega itself is certain to have something suitably spectacular/disappointing up its sleeve, and naturally the team at Nintendo Life and our other related sites will be bringing you stacks of content to heap praise upon the blue spiky one.

Mad Catz® Celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog with the Release of Limited Edition Inductive Charger for the Nintendo® Wii™ Video Game System Individually Numbered 20th Anniversary Collectible
San Diego, December 22. 2010

Mad Catz® Interactive, Inc. (“Mad Catz” or “the Company”) (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider, today announced the release of the limited edition Sonic the Hedgehog Figure Inductive Charger featuring a six inch tall Sonic and charge base for use with the Nintendo Wii video game system. Now shipping, the new Inductive Charger is released under the Company’s Mad Catz casual gaming brand. Complementing the Mad Catz’ officially licensed Sonic the Hedgehog video game accessory range and just in time to celebrate Sonic’s 20th Anniversary, the Inductive Charger is a limited edition, individually numbered, highly-collectible method for storing and charging up to two Wii remote controllers.

Sonic the Hedgehog is carefully sculpted, standing six inches tall, guardedly watching over gamers’ Wii Remotes as they silently charge atop a green plateau representative of the classic ‘Green Hill Zone’ that fans are sure to recognize and appreciate. Built-in magnets help ensure controllers and battery packs are aligned in the most efficient charging position while rechargeable NiMH battery packs rapidly energize to provide up to 15 hours of game play. With innovative electromagnetic induction technology providing the means to charge Wii remotes without the need to remove protective protective silicone covers or Wii MotionPlus™ add-ons, the Sonic the Hedgehog Figure Inductive Charger delivers a fun, hassle-free charging solution.

Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz commented, “We are delighted to be a part of Sonic’s 20th Anniversary with the new licensed Inductive Charger. Working alongside SEGA, we believe we have created a charging solution which will prove irresistible to Sonic fans and gamers alike and one which continues to illustrate our strategy of bringing premier licenses to market via products which evoke a passionate consumer response.”

Aviator

Aviator said:

Do they take longer to charge than it takes for Sonic to get to full speed?

Punny

Punny said:

Awesome. I hope Sonic's 20th anniversary is as fun (or more fun) than Mario's 25th! :)

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

So it's basically like those oddly mystifying wireless charge pads...only with a blue hedgehog. :P

irken004

irken004 said:

Induction chargers are quite convenient, and cool. I paid $40 for mine, so $50 for a sonic themed one isn't so bad.

VoltSlash

VoltSlash said:

I'd hit this, if I didn't have a regular induction charger already. And the price was similar (a bit less).

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Neat! I really want this. Anyone think that this will go down in price anytime soon. Here's hoping!

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

Well, while the power of induction charging sounds cool, I already have a charger for my Wiimotes, so...I'll pass.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I charge my batteries, as I use them for other things, in addition to Wiimotes.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

I hope it's fast when it charges....you know, cause it's Sonic and stuff.
You know, fast!
Charge my batteries fast, you damn blue hedgehog!
Ah, forget it...

James

James said:

Not just me - we're launching something very cool this year that will go mad for Sonic's 20th :)

vherub

vherub said:

How efficient are induction chargers? The convenience is great, but is a significant amount of energy lost in the transfer process?

irken004

irken004 said:

@vherub Not necessarily. However, I have an energizer brand induction charger from PDP, and the charges last about as long as a regular battery. I have no idea if this MadCatz brand one will be as good or not.

Gameday

Gameday said:

SONIC he can really move... SONIC he's gotta attitude... SONIC he's the fastest thing alive... Ha sorry had to do a little recap right there. But naw it looks pretty koo what else they gonna make

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

While some of you may not like Sonic anymore, I personally would be less inclined to smash this thing to pieces when I come home in a bad mood and have it staring at me than if it was Mario. For now though, I think I'll just stick with rechargeable batteries. I don't usually use the jacket anyway.