Top Smash Bros. Players Accused of Fixing MLG Match

Posted by James Newton

Thrown out of tournament too

Playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl can be pretty competitive even if you're just playing with your friends, so imagine the pressure surrounding a match in the Major League Gaming circuit, the pinnacle of competitive gaming. The most recent MLG event saw two players supposedly succumb to such pressure, as Mew2King and ADHD were banned from future events for breaching MLG rules.

The official line from MLG is that the players broke the rules by “intentional Forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate Rankings or Brackets,” which translates as "match fixing". However, a blog post by ADHD explains his side of the story, and let's just say it doesn't do him any favours.

While I did offer to give him 300 dollars as a token as friendship because he had previously split with me when I was 2nd/3rd numerous tournaments in the past, it was not an intentional forfeit, rofl.

When I entered the ring (or stage if you must), Jason informed me that he was not playing well and he did not care of the result of the match. I said: "Alright, fine, let's just play it out."

Generally, giving money to competitors on a pro-gaming circuit as a "sign of friendship" isn't really a smart move, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that both players were banned from competition. Reflectzyn has the whole sorry tale, shedding light on the murky issue of splitting winnings in pro-gaming tournaments.

[via reflectzyn.com]

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

He really expects us to believe his story? You don't give someone money as a 'sign of friendship', lol.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Wow, I didn't realise Brawl was played at MLG level! Halo, CoD, yeah, but Brawl?!

:D /is very happy

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

I don't believe this is real 'match fixing'. They decided to split the money AFTER the match.. they did not decide who would win or lose based on money. So they didn't throw the fight.

JimLad

JimLad said:

This is why gaming will never be accepted as a professional competitive pastime.
Gamers are the worst type of competitors for making excuses. (including myself in that) Probably because very few games are truely balanced.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This is why I dislike all of these competitions and high score lists. Even this Donkey Kong stuff has them just beating the score by only a few points and then quitting so they can allow the other guy to score a little above it shortly thereafter and keep the cycle going and their names in the news. I also didn't like the way many of the people in that King of Kong movie were acting. Just came off rather petty and fishy at times.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

@Corbie
I thought it was because of the level in Donkey Kong where you automatically die if you get far enough. Each person shooting for a world record would get to the death level but would have to have acquired more points in previous levels by doing them faster or collecting more items, etc. in order to get a higher score.

It's just like any other record. Usually, you don't double the record that you beat, you just marginally improve over it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Billy Mitchell beat the record and then just stopped playing right then rather than playing to the kill screen.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Yes I even remember the quote (But just in case I went back to it

"Some say I'm being cocky, some say I'm being stupid. I say I'm being Billy Mitchell"

Billy Mitchell

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Haha. Yeah, friends give me 300 monies all the time as a token of friendship. It's normal, right? ...Right?

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

lol, lousy stinkin' cheaters. I already don't take MLG seriously, now this? Someone was afraid of humiliation, the way I see it.

_mikero_

_mikero_ said:

Doesn't really sound like match fixing to me.

I know in Poker it is common for the final two to split the money and then play for pride.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I didn't even know this "league" existed. Shows how much I know about gaming :'(

TKO727

TKO727 said:

Article needs fixing. The who "splitting" event happend at MLG DC and they are banned from Further MLG event meaning banned from dallas because that is the last event of this season. although that blog part is correct...wyatt (adhd) did post that on AIB...and I don't believe this match was "Fixed" (I was there and I know both of them pretty personally)

but I mean I could be wrong..I do know jason hates playing diddys and ADHD is the best diddy in the US so I could see why he wouldn't want to play...lol

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

These are all lies. The real story is that the winner was playing as Ganondorf, and they couldn't believe that someone would give up against him.

Iggy

Iggy said:

This is a funny article my favorite part is when he said "when I entered the ring" like hes about to get into a real brawl.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

How Dare they dis-honor The way of the Brawl!

Those Who Dis-Honor Brawl, must Be Falcon Punch
Untitled

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Never really liked ADHD. I remember beating him and he flipped out as if it was the battle for land...

Never trusted the guy in the first place, and still don't now. Karma's a b*

juanduran1

juanduran1 said:

Oh thats just great! Brawl finally gets to be taken (at least) a little more seriously and be in the same league that halo or call of duty is in, and not only do 2 players get banned for fixing the match, but now the brawl community will be taken even less seriously.

Zorothemetal1

Zorothemetal1 said:

Ive been playing Melee competitively for about 5 years. I know M2k and I'm sure there were no foul intentions on his part. Brawl is bad I gave up on it a year into it, MLG should bring melee back.
BTW- Melee was in MLG before Call of Duty ! lol it was in the first national MLG. Don't say smash doesn't belong in mlg

Gameday

Gameday said:

this wasnt a major competition over 20 peeps but me and my friend split credit at a game crazy tourney for smash before but we didnt announce it period.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

It's stupid enough that real-life money is involved in a tournament for this game. No, it's probably bad enough that there is even a public tournament for this sorta thing. What worse way to promote egotism then to brag about the size of your mushroom in gaming? For that matter, why are they even playing Brawl anymore? Thats soo 2008! :p