Takashi Iizuka Interested in Creating NiGHTS 3

Posted by James Newton

Some fans not so keen

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams could have been fantastic: a sequel to one of the all-time great Sega games, NiGHTS into Dreams on Sega Saturn, Journey of Dreams sadly missed the mark by changing the original's addictive score attack focus with a wider range of challenges and scenarios. The short development time mandated by Sega didn't help either, but that hasn't put Sonic Team head honcho Takashi Iizuka off the idea of returning to the jester: in fact, he'd rather like some more.

Personally I’d really like to make a third NiGHTS game, but it all depends on SEGA.

Considering Sega didn't really want Mr Iizuka and team to make the second game, it's unlikely they'd really get behind a third outing. The original NiGHTS was at its best when played with Sega's precision analogue controller, something the Wii's motion controls couldn't match. That said, with the 3DS offering a very satisfying analogue slide pad we can't help but salivate a little at the potential of a 3D-enabled NiGHTS.

[via site.video-game-central.com]

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

A Journey back to Nights!

I like first Night game but, as long it dosen't play like the last one

TheLonelyGamer

TheLonelyGamer said:

I think it's a good idea to bring NiGHTS on 3DS. I never played a NiGHTS game, but it looks good.

ueI

ueI said:

I quit the wii one because the boy's bosses were too hard, but I can't think of another series that would benefit more from 3D.

madgear

madgear said:

But it didn't miss the mark - at all. The basic scoring play was still in place, the extra levels only have to be played once. After you finish it, just select the chase missions and you never have to see a cut scene or different style of play just like the original Nights, so I don't see what the problem is with it.

As for the chase missions being different - yes they are but only slightly. They improve the scoring by eliminating infinite links, meaning you have a limited time to get a high score - adds more purpose and is a fairer system without changing play drastically.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

NiGHTS is, sadly, one of those games which is insanely depreciated in quality by all the nostalgia goggles surrounding it. Journey of Dreams was a quality game. It suffered from the truncated development time and Sega forcing them to make it a Wii game after development had already started as a 360/PS3 title, yes, but it was still very worth playing, especially now that it's so cheap. However, all of the Saturn owners have hyped up the original beyond such belief that JoD can do naught but linger in its immense shadow.

It's almost as bad as Panzer Dragoon Orta being forcibly stuck behind the original PD trilogy, especially Saga, despite being one of the Xbox's best games.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

NiGHTS Journey of Dreams is such a ridiculously under-rated game. The levels with the kids are pretty mediocre for the most part, but I found the rest of it to be an absolute joy. If they can concentrate on the flight-based levels, it'd be a day one purchase for me.

Hokori

Hokori said:

if its for 3DS count me in, thisll give me a reason to try to beat the Wii Version

Punny

Punny said:

As long as it has better controls and is more true to the Saturn version, make a 3rd NiGHTS game, please! But please, Sega, don't put in the chameleon boss!

I wonder what Reala will think about this news. :)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Don't see the issue about not being able to use analog controls between the Nunchuck and the Classic Controller. It could just use one of those options. That being said, I'd be happy to see the original or Wiimake on VC or WW.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

no thank you--I never saw what the big to-do was about the original nights. Uncomfortable control and just not enough gameplay--flying around in circles forever got old in 15 minutes...and I don't think I need to mention the little-kid-on-foot scenarios in the second.

SevenForce

SevenForce said:

despite its problems i really enjoyed JoD despite the platform bits. And although i never played the the first game i may have still loved JoD.

And yes I would love to see a NiGHTS 3DS game. flying though a dream world in 3D would be a joy. SEGA take a break from Sonic and make it, give Iizuka-san chance to shine and make his dream of a 3rd game come true.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I for one really enjoyed the Wii game. My only complaint was that it was too easy and too short. But it was fun. The music was great, the story was solid. I just got to the end and was like, "Where did the rest of the game go?"

I'm all for a 3DS title, but please make the game longer!

Popyman

Popyman said:

Oh man, a 3DS NiGHTS would be bloody amazing, my girlfriend would buy a 3DS in a heart beat! =P

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

I think if they do anything, they should remake the original. I think making a sequel to such a gem tarnished the series a bit :(

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

It will be good as long as they keep it sidescrolling instead of dead on behind (makes the pointer really hard to use), and Nights doesn's talk.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I also liked Nights Journey of Dreams, that is when I started playing it with my Classic Controller. The motion controls where not precise enough for the gameplay.

Also I didn't like that they blurred NIGHTS gender. He is male and leave it at that rather than change his voice and make him gender confused.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Those kids in the second game have creepy eyes. = / It was enjoyable though; this article's inspired me to start it again! I'd love to see NiGHTS appear in more games... it's definitely one of the more interesting videogame characters I've come across.

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

i realy liked the first game ...but i beat it in 2 days :( (it was a bit hard throught)
so ill get the third if it ever comes out

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Sega just needs to give up, when is Sammy going to gut the company like Aruze did to SNK so Naka and Suzuki can buy out Sega.