Japanese Virtual Console list - September 2010

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

More well-known games we'll never see (and some we might)

Japan keeps up the pace with five more Virtual Console games this next month. Three of them are arcade titles which could all possibly get a release elsewhere, if the publishers can be bothered. The other two are Japan-exclusive Super Famicom RPGs, which are highly unlikely to be released anywhere else.

Here's the full list of titles they can expect next month:

Super Famicom:

• Romancing SaGa 3 (The third in a fairly popular Square RPG series, and the last entry on the SFC.)
  • Shin Megami Tensei II (The second SFC installment in the popular series, which has only become known in the west fairly recently.)

Virtual Console Arcade:

• Exed Exes (A vertical shoot 'em up that's fairly similar to Xevious. Overall, though, it's fairly insignificant.)
  • SonSon (The first Capcom arcade title, as promised by them a while ago. An action platformer, you run across one of six horizontal paths, shooting the incoming enemy and strategically switching paths to avoid others as you see fit.)
  • Super Hang-On (One of the first highly-regarded racing games, created by the legendary Yu Suzuki over at Sega. Sadly this version will be unable to replicate the awesome motorbike you had to sit on in arcades!)

To finish off the month of August, Japan will also be getting Mario Tennis next week. At least we get a rare chance to say we got a well-known game before Japan!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Lets hope Capcom start releasing arcade games outside of Japan too. Seriously, whats up with the support of the VCA from companies? It became a huge disappointment after the initial releases. Whereas in Japan, they have a whole lot of VCA games, even ones that were originally released outside of Japan. Anyway, I'm not really interested in any of these games so I'm missing out.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

OMG super hang on. Im sure this will get released over here when theres a VC drought.

Excellent Game and hopefully moving us closer to Powerdrift, Outrun and Afterburner 2 arcade EMU's.

Has music as catchy as outrun and runs as a very smooth super scaler game.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I didn't think atlus were supporting the vc, but we probably won't see any SMT games on the vc in the west anyway unfourtanetley.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Please ,please,please give us Super Hang On....pretty please... :)
Many a happy memory of sitting on those awesome bikes and while this wouldn't be quite as good it would still be great.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Man I really want SMT on VC iv never played one at all and i would like to start with the 1st one than second, than devil survivor, than strange journey

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

I can see the sega games gatting released over here as I think weve got all of them so far on VC Arcade.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Sega has been doing a good job of releasing all their VCA titles worldwide unlike Namco or Hamster Co. These first two Capcom titles are ones I don't recall seeing in the arcade, so I'm not as certain about them, though the Capcom Arcade Classics series for Playstation did get a European release (no North American one as far as I know) and those games were on that.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

wow atlus is trying VC again thats awesome i know they said before they are giving up on vc it wont make them any money
nice list of games for jpn tobad we wont get 1 of them in n/a i need a japan wii

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Whats the point, NoA rather see that we get junk WiiWare games instead of old, classic games that people had played.

SNK

SNK said:

outrun2sp
do all of the VCA games run in 60HZ,or do they run 50HZ Pal.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Interesting to see Super Hang On. Maybe now, Sega will move towards arcade classics like Outrun, Afterburner, Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder, etc.

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

It's good to see Nintendo making some effort towards the VCA. I'd be interested in SonSon.

Punny

Punny said:

Hurray for VC Arcade updates and Shin Megami Tensei, even if they are for Japan!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Hyper Exclamation Point! All awesome games this week!<3 Now I definitely need a Japanese Wii!

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Yes SNK, full 60hz versions for VCA. Thats why I get these ones and the Pc Engine games all full 60hz.

Ive left the 50 hz megadrive stuff alone except for alternatives I can get on XBOX live.

theJudeAbides

theJudeAbides said:

Is it really too much to ask for when I ask for Mega Man V? I mean seriously, we have I-IV, so why not give us V? Also: Mega Man VI. Really, all the Megaman titles for the NES and Super NES should be available. I don't understand why that's so hard.