Sega Pondering Bringing Adult Titles to 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Alien and House of the Dead could find handheld homes

The 3DS's initial line-up is full of mature titles, with Metal Gear Solid 3 and the new trailer for Resident Evil Revelations showing exactly what's possible on the console. Now Sega is pondering bringing some of its more mature properties over to the machine.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sega West President Mike Hayes said:

It was interesting to see games like Saint's Row on the device. If we could bring, let's say, a House of the Dead or an Aliens title, if the audience for 3DS is much broader it could give us much more scope in that market, and that's as exciting as well as Mario & Sonic and Monkey Ball games.

With its touchscreen controls the House of the Dead series may be a good fit for the machine, but the potential of a portable Alien-only title for the first time since Aliens: Thanatos Encounter on GameBoy Colour is an intriguing proposition.

[via gonintendo.com]

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

oh my god the 3DS is gonna make me have heart attack.....twice! I need to buy a wii game to help the time go by faster.Any suggestions?

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Sega to make 3D "adult" games? Now that's news! :D

House of the Dead would work well. Also, I want to see that cancelled DS Aliens game finally get a release.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

problem with house of the dead is we get EITHER 3d OR touchscreen...

what I would like to see is the touchscreen used to shoot, but its blank, and the top screen being the game screen, this way you dont get 100% accuracy like in 'touch the dead' (or Dead'n'furious), but it would still feel somewhat accurate... having said that, trying to touch a 2d screen to shoot in a 3d space might be more confusing then it should be

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

The only way I can see HOTD working on the 3DS is if there's a reticule shown on the top screen, which you control with the stylus on the bottom screen. Then you would have to press the L button to fire. Or maybe just tapping the stylus against the touch screen to shoot :p

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

When is Sega going to realise that "I want my Space Channel 5"?! >:C

^Quoting myself

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Arcanum Get monster hunter. At 240 hours and still going strong.

This system is going to apeal to more hardcore gamers then ever before. We may actually see ps3 and xbox users picking this up and in 5 years this system will have sold over 100 million units(if nintendo can keep up with demand).

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

A House of the Dead game for the 3DS might be cool. I'd like to see a seperate lightgun the size of a grape which I can point towards the inner camera.

On a serious note, a MadWorld game on the 3DS could be a compelling experience. Imagine running around and slicing people to chunks by sliding the stylus about which acts as a chainsaw. As the body (or what's left of it) stands there wobbling away the final seconds of life, a casual blow into the mic sends the body crashing down like a sack of spuds.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

What's all this about HOTD being so scary? I mean, everybody knows Sonic has got to be the most sadistic franchise ever, so why don't they just make another one of those! But this time Amy's gunna be the one enslaving woodland creatures! Mua-ha-ha-haaaaaa!
xD jk, just 4 the lolz...

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Can't say I care much for a HOTD game for 3DS, but the potential for tilt control, head tracking, maybe even AR makes it highly possible. Could be fun.

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

I echo the same sentiment some other people are pointing out. I've never heard the phrase "adult titles" in any other context in the gaming world except when referring to games with certain amounts of sexual content.

TetrisFreak

TetrisFreak said:

I was thinking the same as everyone else, Kinda. The pervert in me thought that it was games loaded with sexual content, even though I knew that it was talking about "M" Rated games. As much as I love Aliens, they better not bring it to a video game again, Movie games will never be good....EVER

egrane

egrane said:

why is "adult" connected to violence? it's high time the "gameindustry" figured out that sex and death sells. it doesn't have to be full on either. a blend of spicy situations,humor and horror would be a nice change from mario, etc...