Some Sort of Wii Remote Gets a Recent Approval From the FCC

Posted by Trevor Chan

What could this mean?

Three years after the launch of the Wii, Nintendo updated its control method by introducing the MotionPlus accessory with its near 1:1 motion replication. Apparently, it took a few years to get the technology compact enough to work ergonomically as a discreet add-on and with the peripheral's first birthday over the horizon, a recent Federal Communications Commission filing that refers to a Wii Remote has us in speculation-mode.

It seems a Wii Remote has passed safety testing and been approved by the FCC, but it leaves us scratching our heads as to what it is. Model no. RVL-036 is clearly a Wii controller but the technology behind the submission is still unclear. It's standard procedure to secure confidentiality when new products get developed, but the documents that are available on the agency's website don't reveal a whole lot more other than it is a Bluetooth device and some tech-orientated test results, oh... and there was a test engineer called Billy.

Engadget suggests that it could be a new Wii Remote with MotionPlus built in; which would be nice. At this stage, all is just speculation, and the possibility that it's just a standard remote with some fancy new copper wiring or a more responsive Bluetooth chip is just as valid.

[via fjallfoss.fcc.gov]

irken004

irken004 said:

Whatever this is, I'd expect a new series of lawsuits and obsolete wii-mote chargers :D

irken004

irken004 said:

@WildPidgeyAppears I wouldn't risk putting a newly designed wiimote into a charger that it wasn't designed for. Also, what if this means that this new model isn't compatible with some 3rd party peripherals?

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Great, after everyone after bought their 4 WM+s, release a controller that has it built in...

Actually, it is great for the $$$

SandMan

SandMan said:

By the sound of "a more responsive Bluetooth chip", it seems like I'm going to have fun finding a workaround to connect my Wiimote to my computer...

...or it means no more PIN pairing!
WWWW000000000000000TTTTT!!!!!!!

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

or, mabey it has WM+, customisable lights (so its not always blue), and a flip-down wall charger (like the DSi charger) built in!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Hopefully Wii Motion Plus built in.... Hope it comes in Black to match everything else lol.

Will_Ireland

Will_Ireland said:

Its new improved wii-mote, its got Wii+ built in, bluetooth and improved battery life. It will come bundled with the new Zelda game, more on this at E3. You read it here first :-P

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@14: Lol!

@13: It already has BT. So adding BT would be a very stupid move :p I hope it has a rechargeable accu and M+ built in.

SamsN_ite

SamsN_ite said:

It's going to be called the Wii Remote Pro and will have built in Motion Plus . Mark my words.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I only have two WM+ I got bundled and I probably could use a fifth remote (not really, but you know) so I'm interested to see what this turns out to be.

Crunc

Crunc said:

I predict that it's a Wii Remote with an improved speaker and built-in WM+. That and free gravy for life.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

there will be some deal at gamestop where you can turn in a wiimote and a wiimotion plus to make this cost 5-10 dollars i will bet

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

My jokes about destroying 360s and PS3s asside, if it IS a Wii Remote with Wii MotionPlus built in, I hope they keep the size of the traditional Wii Remotes built in... otherwise they'll have made both the Zapper and my PerfectShot useless... not to mention playing Virtual Console or WiiWare games using the sideways configuration awkward... :(

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@25
Judging by that schematic, it appears to be the same size as the traditiional Wiimote.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Could be it includes WM+, could be that it's just a revision on the inner chips or board.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Rather than being a new Wiimote, could it be the controller for Nintendo's Next Console?!?!?!

Since the Wii's been so successful, it's possible they would take the safe route and make basically the same thing, except upgrade the power.

It's probably not true, but it seems logical.

Caliko

Caliko said:

I've been waiting for a Wii Remote with built in MotionPlus since M+ was announced.

I'm hoping for a waaaay improved speaker and a very grip-ey case, making the use of the Remoter jacket obsolete.

RallyFTW

RallyFTW said:

@28 you wish, lol

WiiMotion Plus already inside the Wiimote seems cool.......

Why does PS and Xbox always steal ideas from Nintendo? We do the stuff first.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I'll definitly be buying, that's IF MotionPlus is built in it. I'll most likely buy 2 of them, and sell my MotionPlus Dongles. Now if only Nintendo released a Wireless Nunchuck...

miketh2005

miketh2005 said:

oh... and there was a test engineer called Billy. ROFL!!!!

@rally "we"? wow, we have a real fan over here, lol. unless you work for nintendo of which i doubt...