Feature: The Great and the Good in WarioWare DIY

Posted by James Newton

Get some inspiration for your creations

We love WarioWare: DIY here at Nintendo Life Towers: its ample array of game creation tools is enough to inspire even the most stunted imagination to create a gameplay masterpiece. When placed in the hands of the truly talented, however, some unbelievable microgames are possible: here's a selection of some of our favourites, taking in everything from Xenogears shower scenes to identifying Keyser Soze.

Classic Nintendo Games

When given the tools to create an almost limitless array of unique and imaginative games, we're betting the first thing you did was recreate your favourite Nintendo title. It may not have worked out perfectly, but you probably learnt a lot from it, right? Well here's a few Nintendo tributes that nail their impressions perfectly, and a couple of combinations so bizarre they might scar you for life.

Multicolouredyoshi's Nintendo medley
A magical mash-up of Falcon Punches, Super Mario RPG and StarFox's Falco Lombardi choosing his favourite dessert. Truly something for everyone, then.

Untitled

AudioZan's Obscure NES Games
Taking in everything from Super Mario Bros. to Guardian Legend and even the Dreamcast's Sword of the Berserk, this is truly inspired work, particularly the Dark Link boss fight incorporating Super Mario Bros 2 and Luigi's Mansion.

Untitled

Another batch from AudioZan, including Chibi Robo saving the tea table from Mr Miyamoto's wrath, Skate or Die featuring Punch Out! and more. Very enjoyable, but probably enough to make you worry for AudioZan's sanity.

Untitled

Movies

NGamer at the Movies
You don't always have to mimic your favourite games to make engaging microgames: this collection, by the UK mag NGamer, takes in movies as diverse as The Usual Suspects, Titanic, The Godfather and Misery. Naturally it contains spoilers, so if you don't already know who Keyser Soze is you might not want to watch this one, but for the rest of you there's plenty to enjoy.

Untitled

Downright oddities

A Day in the Life of NGamer
If you thought Nintendo Life was odd, you should check out NGamer's WarioWare account of day-to-day business there, including vomit-inducing burps, oversleeping and proofreading. A truly frightening portent for anyone wanting to get into games journalism.

Untitled

Your video goes here

Have you made something in WarioWare: DIY you're proud of? Something you want to share with the world? Let us know in the comments section!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I have still yet to get the DS game. I have the WiiWare game which is okay. I am waiting for the cost to come down

Katernity

Katernity said:

do you have to get friend codes from the creators in order to download these games?

Iggy

Iggy said:

@7 Places do cut nintendo products check out amazon. You might not always be able to find a steal if its new but u can find it practially new for a fraction of the cost.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Pretty much all my games are recreations of NES games. I made an A Boy and his Blob game :D

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Haha, funny this article just came out, because my girlfriend bought me WarioWare D.I.Y today since Toys R Us was having a sale and she wanted a game as well (buy 1 get one 50 % off). It's fantastic, and I really want to do some great Nintendo-themed stuff.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Well I made a pretty good Metroid game. The sprites took me forever to make.
And I also have a nice little Wind Waker game where I payed a lot of attention to details and really make it a living tiny world like the real game.

iAlias

iAlias said:

I made a classic Mario Bros. style game starring my little sister. You run along and shoot fireballs at a bird, a grunt, and a huge robot that the evil witch rides on. My little sister keeps saying that the witch is my other sister. Sibling rivalry: It never ends, eh? :)

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I made a game where I created my own sprites, where you defend your character from raging machines in a forest clearing called Surrounded! I made it a little too hard, unfortunately, but its still my favorite creation.

I'm also working on a series of microgames called Space Out! They all follow a vague story where the player takes control of a ship and avoids asteroids and even infiltrates alien bases.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

"But that's not fair! it was a really good offer."

I really need to buy this game sometime.

James

James said:

These all sound great! If you take any video footage let us know and we'll look into doing a Nintendo Life Edition of this feature :)

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Say, anyone play Carted Off yet? That's a game I made that's available under the "Sports" themed design contest. :) Incidentally, I'm polishing up the art in a Sonic-themed microgame, but you play as Eggman in a rolling machine with mounted turrets, so... I kind of doubt Prosody would be a fan of it. ;)

multicoloredyoshi

multicoloredyoshi said:

wow awesome, my vid was included... I check this site all the time for wiiware updates, so I was taken by surprise to see that my vid made this article. Decided to finally register on the site because of this.

gaminguy

gaminguy said:

I made a pac-man game in which you have to collect the dots before time rins out, only you can move anywhere and ther's no ghosts