The Real Mario's Yearbook Photo is Unearthed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Along with details of his past

Back when Nintendo was still trying to gain a foothold in the US market the company rented a warehouse owned by a fellow called Mario Segale.

Legend has it that NOA President Minoru Arakawa was taken aback by the similarity between Segale and the lead character of Donkey Kong - an arcade title which Nintendo was preparing to launch at the time.

With the character still unnamed, Arakawa decided to call him Mario in honour of the company's landlord.

Amazingly, Segale's yearbook photo from 1952 - as well as many other interesting pieces of info - have been unearthed by website Technologizer. It's a fascinating insight into the life of the man who unwittingly lent his name to one of video gaming's brightest stars. You should check it out.

[via technologizer.com]

Aronos

Aronos said:

I thought Mario in "Donkey Kong" was called Jumpman?
And then after that game came out or when they were working on the next one, they changed his name to Mario.
Cool story though. I could be wrong, I'm just repeating what I remember.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

He was called Jumpman in Japan. They changed his name to Mario when Donkey Kong was released NOT when Donkey Kong Jr. was released. Check the American Donkey Kong flyer and you'll see.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

hmmm.... well that IS interesting. He looks a good bit thin to me in the picture though :O

sykotek

sykotek said:

Looks more like Luigi to me. Anyone else looking forward to the shops that should eventually come out of his picture?

y2josh

y2josh said:

This is a yearbook photo peeps. If he was a landlord at the time the Nintendo company knew of him, I'm sure he was a tad bit older and looked a tad bit different :)

Caliko

Caliko said:

@Flameking1087 and slapshot82

THIS is his yearbook photo, and who knows of what year maybe freshman in high school?

He later matured and packed some weight and grew a mustache.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I would like to see a picture from when he was their landlord, to see the resemblance.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I have also heard rumors that Luigi was named after an Italian restaurant in Japan that Myamoto frequented. Besides, I like to think of Mario and Luigi as Superheros in a fantasy game world, not real life humans.