Mario Was Almost Called Mr Video

Posted by Jamie Giggs

"It's-a me Mr Video" just doesn't have the same ring to it

Legend has it that Super Mario was named after the landlord of Nintendo's North American offices back when the company first started, but in the new 'Iwata Asks' feature it was revealed that our lovable tubby plumber was also going to be called 'Mr Video' at one stage.

Shigeru Miyamoto said that he planned to use him in every game he made, being influenced by the way in which Hitchcock ensured that he had a cameo in all his films.

Miyamoto further admitted that the name wasn't very good:

I felt that I had come up with a pretty solid character, which is why I thought: "Right, I'll keep using him from now on!" That's why I decided a solid, imposing name like "Mr. Video" would work best. But thinking back, I don't think I should have gone with that name. If he had been called "Mr. Video," he might have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Super Mr Video Galaxy, Mr Video Kart, Paper Mr Video the Thousand-Year Door...do you think Mario would have achieved the same worldwide success that he has today with this branding?

[via gonintendo.com]

skywake

skywake said:

I don't think Mario would have been the same if he was called Mr Video even if it was as popular. Super Mario Bros might not have been much different but a lot of his charm is from the "Italian Stereotype" we have thrown on him would have gone. Charles Martinet wouldn't have voiced him and he probably wouldn't have looked the same either. Maybe he'd look more like this!

As for popularity, Mr Video wouldn't have stood out as much against Mega Man and Sonic as much as "Mario, the Italian Plumber" does.

Jeroen1

Jeroen1 said:

Up next: Miyamoto confesses he considered setting the Mushroom Kingdom in modern Korea. And patenting nukes in video games.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Honestly, it wouldn't change anything. Nintendo would still be popular because they are genius when it comes to making good games.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Wow, Nintendo seems to be more willing to give away really weird facts these days, huh?

AVahne

AVahne said:

ppppfffffftttt WAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! Mr video?! BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...lol omg lol, now thats funny. but seriously if he was called Mr Video it would be kinda tedious or tiring or whatever to say his name over and over. its like,what, 5 syllables? its just plain easier to use the 3 syllable Mario!!!!

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

"It'sa me Mr. Video!"
It's a I say it's a good thing that they didn't keep I say keep his name like that.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Well, I guess they could have kept his name up to date with the years. So right now he'd be Mr. Blu-Ray DVD

pinta_vodki

pinta_vodki said:

Yep, and Wario would be Mr. /\ideo.

p.s. why can't you put the reverse shalsh in the comments?! Wow, it worked but I had to put three of them and only 1 is shown... is it a bug of my browser or what?

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I'm sure glad we stuck with Mario. :)
Though, on the other hand, Mr. Video would've sounded unusual. :D

Super Mr. Video! World
Super Mr. Video! Kart
Super Mr. Video! All-Stars
Super Mr. Video! World 2: Yoshi's Island

Brilliant!!!! :D

Anyone have fun with the Mr. Video! Bros. arcade or NES game?
XD :D I'm sorry, but this is too just too funny.

PTJohe

PTJohe said:

I don't think it would make that much difference.
If he was named Mr. Video everyone would laugh when Myamoto gived an interview saying Mr. Video was originally going to be "Mario, the italian plumber".

If Mr. Video games had the quality the Mario ones have, I'm sure he would be as popular.

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

I think it would work better if he was just Video, and picking up a mister mushroom made him Mr Video.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Super Mr. Video! Bros. 2 is infact the Mr. Video! version of the classic FC game Doki Doki Panic. A couple years later Japan got Super Mr. Video! Bros. 2, only it was changed to Super Mr. Video! USA.
The true first sequel to Super Mr. Video! Bros was Super Mr. Video! Bros. 2: The Lost Levels. A fun, but quite hard, game.
Everyone got Super Mr. Video! Bros. 3 for the NES, which everyone will agree is one of the greatest NES games of all time. Did you know that Super Mr. Video! World was known as Super Mr. Video! Bros. 4 in Japan?

Super Mr. Video! RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first RPG I've played, and it's still one of my favorites. :)

Oh, my God. That's a lot for one joking matter! :$ :D

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

In the earlier 1990s, we had gotten a couple of 2D Mr. Video! platformers: Super Mr. Video! World for the SNES (1990/1991) and Super Mr. Video! Land 2: 6 Golden Coins for the Game Boy Pocket (1992). Of course, it wasn't until fourteen years later that we would once again experience a 2D Mr. Video! game: New Super Mr. Video! Bros. for the DS.

Oh, God, I'm doing it again!!! :$

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

Good thing they gave him a real name instead of a nickname, normal names are more memorable imo.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The Super Mr. Video! Bros. movie is best left forgotten.
Sir DVD's Mansion was a good game, wiiman. :)

I haven't yet played Super Princess Mrs. BluRay on the DS, is it good?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@Starboy: meh. it's... ok. at best.

lame name, or no, i'm just glad he decided to use different characters instead of the same one for every game. think of zelda... but with mario. ewwwww....