Wii Sports Resort Sales Go Through The Roof

Posted by Jamie Giggs

Who'da thunk?

It'll come as no surprise to know that the recently released Wii Sports Resort is selling by the bucket load. Today, Nintendo has revealed that the game has now broken the million mark in sold copies across Europe.

In case you didn't know, Wii Sports Resort is a collection of sports games that showcases the Wii MotionPlus peripheral; it's also the sequel to the best selling game ever, Wii Sports. Nintendo has also said that the game has passed one million sales in North America and Japan as well; now if we do the Math here, that's 3 million copies!

If that wasn't enough, Wii Sports Resort climbed back to the top of the UK All-Formats chart this week. It all just goes to show how popular the game is with Wii owners.

So readers, are you happy that it's performing so well?

[via wired.com]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

No surprising at all, really. Great game and mass-appealing.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I bet it was my review that sold the million copies, easily. :P

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

It deserves it. Awesome game.

Also, this is good news, because Nintendo will win confidence in MotionPlus and utilize it more in their future games (like Zelda Wii).

vherub

vherub said:

agreed, also should be a strong sign for 3rd party devs that the peripheral is out there, waiting for more games

Machu

Machu said:

People just love having fun, and Nintendo know that. Very happy for them. Wii Sports 3 ftw! :D

jangonov

jangonov said:

I'm glad it is selling well, more people buying this means they will buy more motion plus games when it comes out and that is good for the industry

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Hmm I reconsider buying this game now... but the fact that it's the sequal to the totally stupid Wii Sports (except Bowling, that's great :P)
prevents me from buying this... Oh and of course the fact that I don't have a Wii :D ........yet

AVahne

AVahne said:

the game really deserves it, now we just need more developers to use the peripheral besides just Nintendo, Ubisoft and the sports game makers

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

By selling 14% less than it did the week before. How did it rise? The top title (Ashes Cricket 2009) sold something like 54% less...not really a problem though as Summer being a slow season and "let's not compare these things on weekly sales but the fact they just never stop selling".

Also, the stand-alone motion plus is just shy of selling 1 million in Europe alone.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I was always looking forward to this game and Motion Plus, but I must admit it's much more fun than I expected. Bring on the Motion Plus games.

calculon

calculon said:

Sadly I also purchased it and now rather regret trading in four average games for this total pile of tripe. I love the original Wii Sports, but seriously - the boat has sailed. Outside of Archery there really is no reason to rate Resort above 3/10 and no further need for MotionPlus unless you need another peripheral to over-complicate a boat load of half-arsed sporting games and the odd "blockbuster" title (Red Steel 2 -cough)

Pure unauterated garbage that can only come from the money grabbing minds of Nintendo. Whilst they may have taken my money this time I won't be buying their next gen. console if they choose to pursue their current tren of pushing tat as entertainment.

Ren

Ren said:

"Hey you got your grouch sticks in my hate sauce!", "Hey, you got your hate sauce all over my grouch sticks!"
Wheres Alexsays to join you in holy hate-rimony?

The_Cow

The_Cow said:

WHOO HOO; GO WII SPORTS RESORT!! :D

I've been happy since I got my copy & extra Wii Motion Plus since launch date on July 26th! It really is a fun game; the swordplay is definately my #1 favorite! :)

OBJECTERON

OBJECTERON said:

this game is the best without hesitationwhoever is thinking about getting it get it nowwwwwwwww

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I love the game, its a ton of fun. I thought the sales would be better than they are so far, but obviously sales are still great. Be interesting to see if Wii hardware sales do though, with the other two systems having price drops.

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

Great game, fantastic value for money. Ninty are really doing a good job on Wii especially with Metroid Prime trilogy coming out. There gonna rule the roost for a long time to come. Yay.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

^ "Great game, fantastic value for money."

That says it all for me.

Looking forward to Trilogy too :D Hurry up and be September the 4th already. Stupid Father Time.

skywake

skywake said:

calculon needs to learn to troll better.

Nywho, I think I read some article on some major gaming site (probably IGN) where they suggested that Wii Sports Resort will sell a bundle but isn't the "system seller" Nintendo are suggesting it would be. The theory was that people who don't have a Wii won't be compelled to buy a Wii BECAUSE of Resort because unlike Wii Fit resort is something that the original Wii at least appears to do already. I don't agree...

My favourite yard-stick for long term sales for something like this is a sort of "word of mouth metric" that works well for "casual" games. I count how many friends and family members, after me telling them or showing them a game or something, end up getting it themselves. It doesn't work for "core games" i.e. for something like say Zelda most people interested get it on say one and there aren't many who you can convince afterwards but for casual games it works and is a good guess at how well things do long term. For instance after playing Wii Sports 2 Wii's were sold, Guitar Hero World Tour has thus far sold 1 Wii and 2 copies of Guitar Hero World Tour. Yet on the other hand Wii Music and Animal Crossing have been completely ignored.

Its early days yet but so far Wii Sports Resort seems to have influenced 1 person to consider buying a Wii and 3 people to consider buying Wii Sports Resort (one has already got it). So news that its selling well doesn't surprise me... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up beating Wii Fit and Wii Play. :P

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Fantastic game. The crazy thing is, I didn't care much for the original but I'm in love with this new one. Very nice!

@Roopa

LOL! That was the only sport I liked in the pack-in as well. Since it's included in WSR. The original is now nothing more than a drink coaster.

noface

noface said:

now all Nintendo has is add online multiplayer with the next instalment and bring the gaming industry to its shaky knees