Miyamoto Keeps Check On The Opposition

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo's number one gets up close and personal with the PSP Go at E3

No matter how proud you are of your own achievements, there's nothing wrong with checking out what the competition has to offer. That's clearly the thinking of Nintendo game design guru Shigeru Miyamoto as he was recently spotted getting intimate with Sony's shiny new PSP Go handheld.

The new device is basically a redesigned PSP without a UMD disc drive, which means games can only be loaded up using a wireless connection. Set to retail for the shockingly high price tag of $250/250 Euros, it's a risky move by Sony - but the PSP has recently enjoyed some considerable success in Japan so who knows what might happen.

[via kotaku.com]

James

James said:

If that had been me, I would have taken one, because I really, really want one, UMD drive be damned!

James

James said:

Want to go halfers on one, Golgo? I'll have it on days ending with y, you can have the rest.

Muzer

Muzer said:

Seriously, why is everyone so hyped up about this? It's only a way for Sony to steal more of your money when you have to re-download all your games.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Miyamoto only wanted to see if IT PRINTS MONEY!

My bet is it will lose money. The PSP store is a joke. Loco Roco 2 for £18 on download when I could buy the UMD for £13 online. Erm no thanks!

Golgo

Golgo said:

@Muzer. Indeed! What calibre of company would stoop so low as to release fractionally-improved iterations of their hardware?!

WiiGuy

WiiGuy said:

they should've priced it at $200 max, if it wants to compete with the DSi

James

James said:

£230 for the UK version is a joke - a portable console for the same price as an Xbox 360 Elite? Yet again you're having a laugh, Mr Sony.

Adam

Adam said:

Great product, horrible price. I'd get one without hesitation if it were as cheap or cheaper than DSi, which is already expensive enough for a handheld.

Knux

Knux said:

Miyamoto is betraying Nintendo,gather your pitchforks!! :P
I'll just stick with my original PSP,thank you very much.

minimario_man

minimario_man said:

Miyamoto is simply scaring the oposition by looking at sony's new portable toaster. To be honest I think that it looks realy uncomfortable to play and the fact that you have to buy all the games again is unacceptable, the least sony could do was make the psp go backwards compatable!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I don't think it is a good price OR a good product. Have you seen the thing? The button placement looks terrible and the whole thing just looks tacky.

xDlmaoxD

xDlmaoxD said:

"Oh dear, did I break your crappy excuse for a games console? Bwahahaha!"

PWNAGE, but Im getting one on release date like I did with my DSi :)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

It might encourage Nintendo to announce DSi VC!!!!!!!! I'm not bothered about PSP one bit, I'd rather buy a DSi if they announce VC for it until then...

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Lmao nice try sony. Why would a buy a $250 handheld, when I get A 360 or a Wii for the same price, but more value?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

My question is, did Shiggy's hands get cramped playing it? Mine certainly get cramped from playing 5 minutes of the old PSP

Crunc

Crunc said:

Myself, I would have really been interested in buying one of these if the price were more reasonable. I don't have a PSP, so there is no issue of having to buy games over again, and I really like having all my games on the portable device as opposed to having to take cartridges. Having said that, it sounds like the pricing of the games themselves is ridiculous too. So... for me this isn't going to happen. Sony seems to love to overprice.