Confirmed: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Posted by Damien McFerran

The rumours were true!

Nintendo's Cammie Dunaway has just confirmed that a new Mario game is coming to the Wii.

At Nintendo's E3 conference - which is taking place as we type - she said this:

The number four is the key to Mario's next surprise. For the last 15 years, Mr Miyamoto has been thinking about one new way to let you play a Mario game that's never been possible before. Today here's his answer - New Super Mario Brothers for Wii.

The game will have a multiplayer focus, with four players being able to join the action at any given time and compete to reach the end of the level. It sounds a bit like Smash Bros to be honest.

The game will launch before the end of the year.

We're reporting this news as it happens - expect more details, including images, later.

Clint_Eastwood

Clint_Eastwood said:

This is awesome! I always wanted 2 players simultaneously in the old Mario Bros. games, but four is even better!

Don

Don said:

Is this a remake of DS New Super Mario Bros. with new features or a brand new game?

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

I hope you guys are recording this conference, I want to see it on NL's youtube channel afterwards.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yeah. New Super Mario Bros. ported to the Wii and with four players isn't that much of an innovation as they were talking about it.

Looks fun though.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I mean it looks ok, but it's gonna take a lot more than this so-called "Mario" character to steal my attention away from the awe and majesty that is "It's My Birthday"

LGamer

LGamer said:

Oh yeah baby! WOOHOO! I make a countdown-calander (no, that's a bit too crazy). MUST BUY (drool, drool, drool... OH...now is my keyboard dirty...)

Tails

Tails said:

GALAXY 2 Yes Big Preorder for me including Metroid Other M & Mario vs. Dk Minis March Again

cr00mz

cr00mz said:

so this is four swords adventure only mario then or what? or will there be a super mario world single players mode or somethin.

Terra

Terra said:

Nice. Is this retail or WiiWare? I'm thinking Retail but some friends of mine think it will be WiiWare

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I didn't enjoy the first NSMB very much, but I'll still be picking this one up with the hopes that it'll fix some of the problems I had with the DS game and that it will really manage to channel the Four Swords vibe I'm getting from it. But I can't say my hype for this is anywhere near where it is for Galaxy 2, though.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

You'd have to be clinically insane to to appreciate the enormity of this announcement as well as that of Super Mario Galaxy.

Oh and btw...YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Reply to Mainstreamguy Post #28: I half agree. They should replace the two Toads with Peach and Yoshi.

Don

Don said:

According to gonintendo.com, the Koopa Kids will be in this one.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Nintendo was pathetic at last years E3 and deserved all of the anger they got, but the Mario anouncements this year they made me one happy gamer.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Although the conference was lacking, the Mario titles were awesome. Other M was even better!!!

Adam

Adam said:

I have no idea why this article compares the game to Smash Brothers, but whatever. The game looks awesome. Little Big Planet meets Mario.

Mainstreamguy

Mainstreamguy said:

@Super Smash Bros. Fan1999
both not possible; the Mario games are about saving Peach - so no Peach
and did you ever see a Yoshi riding on a Yoshi? - no Yoshi (at least not as standalone character

Objection

Objection said:

Sweet. I want this. Is it all new or a port of the DS game or a remake of a previous 2D mario?

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Im torn... I really felt let down with NSMB. Very Easy and not near as good a SMBWorld on SNES, I dont know about this one.