Confirmed: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Posted by Damien McFerran

The rumours were true!

Nintendo's Cammie Dunaway has just confirmed that a new Mario game is coming to the Wii.

At Nintendo's E3 conference - which is taking place as we type - she said this:

The number four is the key to Mario's next surprise. For the last 15 years, Mr Miyamoto has been thinking about one new way to let you play a Mario game that's never been possible before. Today here's his answer - New Super Mario Brothers for Wii.

The game will have a multiplayer focus, with four players being able to join the action at any given time and compete to reach the end of the level. It sounds a bit like Smash Bros to be honest.

The game will launch before the end of the year.

We're reporting this news as it happens - expect more details, including images, later.

From the web

Clint_Eastwood said:

This is awesome! I always wanted 2 players simultaneously in the old Mario Bros. games, but four is even better!

Don said:

Is this a remake of DS New Super Mario Bros. with new features or a brand new game?

MrPanic said:

I hope you guys are recording this conference, I want to see it on NL's youtube channel afterwards.

Bass_X0 said:

Yeah. New Super Mario Bros. ported to the Wii and with four players isn't that much of an innovation as they were talking about it.

Looks fun though.

SwerdMurd said:

I mean it looks ok, but it's gonna take a lot more than this so-called "Mario" character to steal my attention away from the awe and majesty that is "It's My Birthday"

LGamer said:

Oh yeah baby! WOOHOO! I make a countdown-calander (no, that's a bit too crazy). MUST BUY (drool, drool, drool... is my keyboard dirty...)

Tails said:

GALAXY 2 Yes Big Preorder for me including Metroid Other M & Mario vs. Dk Minis March Again

cr00mz said:

so this is four swords adventure only mario then or what? or will there be a super mario world single players mode or somethin.

Terra said:

Nice. Is this retail or WiiWare? I'm thinking Retail but some friends of mine think it will be WiiWare

RevolverLink said:

I didn't enjoy the first NSMB very much, but I'll still be picking this one up with the hopes that it'll fix some of the problems I had with the DS game and that it will really manage to channel the Four Swords vibe I'm getting from it. But I can't say my hype for this is anywhere near where it is for Galaxy 2, though.

You'd have to be clinically insane to to appreciate the enormity of this announcement as well as that of Super Mario Galaxy.

astarisborn94 said:

Reply to Mainstreamguy Post #28: I half agree. They should replace the two Toads with Peach and Yoshi.

Don said:

According to, the Koopa Kids will be in this one.

The_Fox said:

Nintendo was pathetic at last years E3 and deserved all of the anger they got, but the Mario anouncements this year they made me one happy gamer.

naut said:

Although the conference was lacking, the Mario titles were awesome. Other M was even better!!!

Adam said:

I have no idea why this article compares the game to Smash Brothers, but whatever. The game looks awesome. Little Big Planet meets Mario.

Mainstreamguy said:

@Super Smash Bros. Fan1999
both not possible; the Mario games are about saving Peach - so no Peach
and did you ever see a Yoshi riding on a Yoshi? - no Yoshi (at least not as standalone character

Objection said:

Sweet. I want this. Is it all new or a port of the DS game or a remake of a previous 2D mario?

Slapshot said:

Im torn... I really felt let down with NSMB. Very Easy and not near as good a SMBWorld on SNES, I dont know about this one.