What Wii Owners Play

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Handy-dandy chart action shows where we sink our time

Stephen Totilo, formerly of MTV Multiplayer and now over at Kotaku, is a very busy man. He writes a lot. He co-created "Hogan Knows Best." And now, he's tracking our Wii-playing stats.

Since last September, he's been dutifully snagging the Nintendo Channel play statistics and putting them into convenient chart form to show just how much time and how many sessions people put in per game. Smash Bros. Brawl takes the top spot, with an average of 66:32 hours of play per player. Yikes! Rounding out the top three are Guitar Hero III and Animal Crossing: City Folk. For the full list, check out the link above and note the absence of Wii Fit.

Totilo may be a great game reporter, but I'll never forgive him for his TV ventures.

[via kotaku.com]

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

after all the time I put into Lego Star Wars myself, i'm glad it at least made the list. :3

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

i may be committing suicide by saying this, but i think smash bros is really over rated, unfun, and pretty much sucks in every way. I really can't understand how someone can get so much time out of it!

Digiki

Digiki said:

i may be committing suicide by saying this,

...silly over exaggeration...

Okay, what do you dislike about it?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've never liked a single Smash Bros. title. They seem so pointless and redundant to me. But I know they're very popular, so power to those who enjoy them. I'm sure they feel the same way about my undying love of shmups as well. :)

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I never cared for Smash Bros. either. I'm suprised Mario Kart Wii isn't on the list.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Add me to list of those bored by all things Smash (well, maybe not Smash TV).

I have little basis for this, but sometimes I wonder if it is a generational matter; I don't know any Nintendo fans who grew up in the NES days who obsess over Smash. It seems to primarily interest those for whom the N64 hit in their peak gaming years. Likewise perhaps with Pokemon, which is at best an odd footnote in Nintendo history as far as I'm concerned, but enormously important to those who grew up when it was featured on the GB/C. Then again, as I said, I don't really have much basis for these assumptions, only anecdotal evidence.

Objection

Objection said:

I'm a little tired of SSB. However, when I got Brawl, I put in about 200 hours in the first 2 months. Then I stopped playing it for about 6 months. Now I think i play it about an average amount. When I get into a game, I do weird things like that.

Machu

Machu said:

Smash rocks simple ass!
Easy to pick up yet takes an age to master. Which is why you either really get into it, or really don't.

Add my love of Nintendo, to the orgy of fan service unlockable in Smash, and you find a happy man.

ps... UNITED! .

Adam

Adam said:

@Wario
I was born with the NES, and most of my friends who play Smash Brothers were. I'm not shocked people don't like it, but I don't think there is a neat little explanation for this. It's just like any other game with its fans and detractors.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Adam

Fair enough; as I said, all I had to go on was weak anecdotal evidence. Apparently it just didn't catch on with many people around me other than a couple younger relatives.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I am amazed at how high City Folk shot up in just a short time. If its altitude continues to increase at this rate it will be #1 within the next few months.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Corbie: You read my mind! :D

@warioswoods: I agree with Adam, just in case it matters. Gotta watch that weak anecdotal evidence, I guess. Thanks for admitting that's all you were going on from the start, though. A lot of people on the internet don't seem to bother with that and come up looking like they're backpedaling.

As for the stats, it seems to me that the average for Brawl is pretty low. Of course, "per player" REALLY means "per system" and doesn't account for hours upon hours of local four-player madness.

I tend to find that the way I play Nintendo games, the average listed on the Nintendo Channel is NEVER high enough to match my playtime. That's what happens when people download or buy games, try them out a little bit, and wind up hating them. A bunch of one or two hour players will REALLY bring down the average from us 200+ hours players.

Caliko

Caliko said:

Brawl is the greatest game in history since Ocarina of Time. I almost cry at the thought of when I first heard the fully orchestrated music on the Star Fox stage.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

No, River City Ransom is the best game ever, becuase I like it.

Seriously guys, if your going to praise a game calling it the best game ever, at least back up your argument a little more than "fully orchestrated music on the Star Fox stage."

Also, try and not say "the greatest", but rather "my favorite". Trust me, it'll prevent flame wars.

Hawker

Hawker said:

Well now you know 1, & I have 6 friends from the same age group that love Smash bros too.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nice to see that Smash Bros. is on the list and at the top too!but where's Mario Kart Wii?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm also a NES fan who's clocked in 150 hours on Brawl, and sadly it's all single player mode, wait... I've played 3 games online, lol.

And yes Corb.. I hate schmups :)