Eternity's Child Confirmed as WiiWare

Posted by Damien McFerran

Those of you that own an Xbox 360 and follow developments on Xbox Live Arcade will no doubt be aware of this title.

Created by professional cartoonist Luc Benard, Eternity’s Child is a lovely looking platform action title that practically oozes quality. It was supposed to be XBLA-bound, but Microsoft’s cap on the size of downloadable games has forced the developer to look elsewhere – more specifically, WiiWare.

Luc Bernard himself contacted WiiDS.co.uk with the news, and also hinted at other developments:

Luc Benard stating that Eternity’s Child for WiiWare Download Station will come out in Q2 2008 for 500 points ($5 USD). Mr. Benard also hinted at more game announcements next week, all interactive fairy tales

Aside from the rather obvious fact that the game looks amazing, the price surprised us – 500 points puts this alongside NES games in terms of value. Time will tell how much gameplay Eternity’s Child will actually offer, but if all WiiWare games can look this good then 2008 is going to be a very exciting year indeed for Wii owners.

tnk4god

tnk4god said:

Sorry, but I just don't see it, the graphics to me are not that great, I can think of other places to put my 500 points

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

I think it looks cool, much rather spend my money on a good new game rather than some rubbish old game that i'd play once (not that i'm saying old games are rubbish, just theoretically one that i'd buy out of boredom), would like to see it in motion though, any vids out there?

dark_moogle

dark_moogle said:

So wait, Microsofts 150MB limit wasnt enough for this game and they are bringing it to Wiiware on a system that only has 512MB internal memory with no external storage option (that it can be played off)

Or was it something else besides size limits?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

dark moogle - the size limit was the key problem, according to the developer. Nintendo has no such policy in place, regardless of the small amount of internal memory the console has.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

This is great news. I'd heard a rumour to this effect about six months ago, but it's good to see it finally confirmed. This kind of thing opens up the door to more indie development on Wii, a huge asset for the console, and one of the areas it was lagging behind the other formats.

And aside from all that, it looks like a good game, too.

Tempest

Tempest said:

Speaking of size limit, any news on Nintendo bringing out some option to expand the internal memory? Would be nice to be able to download all the channels and be able to keep all the virtual console games on the Wii directly really... X_x

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

I think WiiWare must lead to some sort of memory expansion option, as the "fridge" argument Nintendo have been using up until now (i.e. you only keep the stuff you're using right now) falls apart when you start storing these much larger games.

ATRUEZELDAFAN

ATRUEZELDAFAN said:

Hmm. This game looks fairly fun. I can't wait untill wii ware games start hitting the virtual shelves.

AchubaNanoia

AchubaNanoia said:

Looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying. Wouldn't it be great if the WiiWare had some kind of Demo for it's games like XBLA? Also, one more reason to Nintendo release a Hard Drive or some way to give us more storage! After 3 Nintendo 64 games, 5 SNES, 6 NES, 2 Genesis and 2 TG-16 games, I'm 200 blocks away of having to delete some of my games to get new ones =/

morphballer

morphballer said:

I would bet that they are going to come out with some kind of expandable solution this year. They have to!!

djshep1973

djshep1973 said:

This looks cool, and I hope it is the start of more goodness coming our way via WiiWare.. :-)

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

All Nintendo have to do is allow you to run things from your SD card, job done. The Wii supports up to 2GB cards, I believe? More than enough storage really.

HairyMike87

HairyMike87 said:

XBLA doesn't really have a 50mb cap anymore. REZHD just came out and it is over 100mb. I think microsoft saw that they will have competition in the download able market and wanted to allow more games to be put on their system then to move to the wii.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

XBLA has a 150mb cap now. They raised it when Castlevania SotN hit the marketplace. Its already gonna cause problems for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD it seems which might have to have cuts in order to meet the stringent requirements.

Waxxy

Waxxy said:

I love how ironic it is that the Wii is seen as the chosen alternative to the XBox 360 because, of all things, a size limitation. Laughable. I've got my fingers crossed hoping that Nintendo will allow some type of expanded storage, whether that's allowing games to be loaded off the SD card slot or (more preferably) the ability to use an external hard drive with the USB ports. (Please, Nintendo?)

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

If they go with the external harddrive option don't expect to be able to use any old drive - Nintendo will release their own and charge you loads for it. :D

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

New content, good price, storage isn't an issue because you can just delete it as soon as you're done playing it (and download it again for free if you want to play it again), and promise of continued support. This is only good news.

Pua

Pua said:

Between this and a NES game, I'll definitely buy this. Very cheap indeed! ^^

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Another WiiWare confirmation is exciting. I can't wait! As if enough hasn't already been said about it, the size of the Wii Hard drive is concerning, hopefully a patch will be released allowing games to be run from an SD card!

Tim

Tim said:

@dark moogle

I was scratching my head too. My 360's 20GB HD makes size in MBs irrelevant. It doesn't make sense that something that is "too big" for the 360 would get ported over to a system that can't even compete with the storage available on one 74min CD-R.

Radio_KJ

Radio_KJ said:

I'm not exactly up on the technology limits, but I don't think it's feasible to run software from an SD card. Slow transfer rates or something. I say this because even a Palm handheld copies programs from the SD card to the internal memory before running. That said, what if Wii did that? Keep all the games on an SD card and instead of manually copying them back the Wii copies them as they run then removes them afterward.

Though I'd be happiest with a good 20G drive.

WWammy

WWammy said:

"4. Bass X0 United Kingdom 04 Feb 2008, 11:10 GMT

I hope Capcom port Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix to WiiWare even if its not in HD."

Yeah me too they can get it pretty close graphically as Guilty Gear looks pretty good when compared to the old Street fighter games.
It should look pretty good if they have an option for 480p for the game :)

Mad_Bomber

Mad_Bomber said:

This is the kind of thing I was hoping WiiWare would be putting out.
Creative. A bit Retro. And hopefully Fun.

I hope we don't get too many 3d HD pseudo arcade games like the 360 and PS3. IMO most of them suck. Best downloadable game and use of your money on either system is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a PSX game that originally came out in 1997. Though I'm sure you already knew that.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Not wanting to build anyone's hopes up, but there's no reason why Castlevania: SotN couldn't come out as a WiiWare title... :D

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Radio KJ: I'm pretty sure the 512MB internal memory only includes storage, and the Wii has separate memory for game-in-progress data. That said, running games off of an SD card shouldn't really be a problem.

Baldasacoot

Baldasacoot said:

External USB hard drive would seem the obvious solution. I'd buy one.

Real question for me though is when will Wii Ware be coming to the UK?

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

What I'd really like to see from WiiWare more than anything else* is online board games like Settlers of Catan. It's one area where XBLA excels, I think, and there's no reason we can't have it too.

*aside from Sam and Max, obviously.

Storyteller

Storyteller said:

I watched a couple of videos of this game and I do have to admit that the art direction really impressed me, which it better be considering the guy's a cartoonist, and the music I also thought was top notch.

That being said I can't imagine playing this game for more than a few minutes due to the fact that the gameplay seems to have almost been an afterthought. It seems overly basic and repetitive and to be honest I thought the level design seemed a little wanting. I realize this guy didn't quite have all of Microsoft's resources at his disposal but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not willing to spend money on a title I don't think I will have fun with.

Keep in mind though that those are just my first impressions. I haven't even play a demo of this game but if anyone out there has and wants to tell me how wrong I am than I am sincerly listening.