Zelda II is the 100th Classic Game Added To Virtual Console

Posted by Darren Calvert

Here's a recent press release from Nintendo. It should be of interest to North American readers who are patiently waiting for Zelda II to be available in their region. Nintendo was saving it for the 100th game to be made available on the Virtual Console. How sweet! The bad news is they've decided Paper Mario will be the 250th game! (Tee hee, only joking!)

What is interesting is the most downloaded games figures. This really illustrates how the classic Nintendo franchises are still loved by the gaming community and perhaps those getting back into gaming with the Wii after a while.

4.7 million downloads to date! Nintendo must be raking it in!

--------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

Wii Hits Yet Another Major Milestone: 100th Classic Game Added To Virtual Console

Gamers Worldwide Already Have Downloaded More Than 4.7 Million Retro Games, at a Rate of 1,000 an Hour

REDMOND, Wash., June 1, 2007 - Nintendo is giving video game fans a way to access their favorite classic games, all without leaving the comfort of their homes. And gamers have responded en masse as the library of downloadable game classics continues to grow. The upcoming addition of Zelda II - The Adventure of Link on June 4 marks the 100th classic game available on the Wii Shop Channel. And since going online Nov. 19, owners of Nintendo's hot Wii video game system have downloaded more than 4.7 million classic games from Wii's Virtual Console, a rate of more than 1,000 games every hour since launch. The top five classic game downloads globally to date, and their original system are:

1) Super Mario Bros. (NES)
2) Super Mario 64 (N64)
3) Mario Kart 64 (N64)
4) Super Mario World (SNES)
5) The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Wii lets players visit the Wii Shop Channel to redeem Wii Points to download classic video games from the original Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super NES and the Nintendo 64, and the Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx16 consoles. These games are nostalgic totems to veteran gamers, and simultaneously, new, easy-to-play entries for younger players. These games demonstrate Nintendo's staying power across generations by letting veteran gamers relive their glory days while their children play them for the first time. The addition of Zelda II - The Adventure of Link brings a fourth Legend of Zelda game to the Wii Shop Channel from three classic Nintendo platforms, providing exciting adventures that span the decades. Additional classic games are added to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday.

"With an Internet connection rate reaching 40 percent, Wii owners have more options than ever to find the kinds of games they love to play," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Beyond the Wii Shop Channel, all types of people are getting connected and checking out the information and entertainment options available on the Wii Menu. Whether voting, creating a Mii or just checking the weather, everyone has a favorite channel."

The Wii Shop Channel is one of the many entertainment and informational channels that are available via the Wii system. Others include the Forecast Channel, the News Channel, the Mii Channel, the Everybody Votes Channel, the Photo Channel and the Internet Channel. Each of these broadens the appeal of Wii to new audiences and draws in consumers who might not otherwise be interested in a video game system.

The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube systems. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.4 billion video games and more than 409 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Its about time. I wonder what game will be hyped for the hundredth european virtual console game.

__whiteshadow

whiteshadow said:

i hope its f-zero x,just so it means it will arrive quicker.the virtual console is the best thing nintendo has ever done in my opinion

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

YAYS PAPER MARIO 104th VC GAME! Tee hee! Just joking but, its not impossible! :D I love the original Paper Mario and also cannot wait for Zelda II. (even though I can.)

__patrick

patrick said:

I'm hoping the fact that all the best selling games being by nintendo won't discourage third parties from realeasing more. Maybe they'll lower the price though I heard its unlikely

Zweck36

Zweck36 said:

Thank The Maker! I can finally quit bitching. I've only done it every week since the fab U.K. got it which feels like many eons ago.

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Have F-ZERO on 64, full and complete for £5 and it was on a BOGOF offer :) Also got PM.

So i'd like to see ZAMN as the 100th, but it'll be a Ninty game.

So what Ninty game will it be?

I reckon SMB. 3. And I hope it is.

Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09 said:

i dont see how releasing Zelda II is a milestone to be celebrated, funny how the same game is released in other areas just a regular download but it gets hyped up here. I mean the game wasnt even that immensely popular as the other games in the franchise.

Even though im going to buy it for sure, it would just make a lot more sense if they released a N64 zelda title instead, perhaps if OOT and Zelda II switched release spots this would make more sense to celebrate. This "100th celebration" is nothing more than some cheap way to hype up VC. I mean christ you still pay full price for it anyway, this kind of marketing makes me sick.

but still its nice to finally see it release :)

__William

William said:

Woo hoo! Finally! Zelda II is finally coming out on the VC console tomorrow! I can't wait to download it when I can! (Hopefully it will come around so, like others say, we don't get hyped up. Heh heh heh!)

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

"The bad news is they've decided Paper Mario will be the 250th game! (Tee hee, only joking!)"

I swear you made my heart stop for a few seconds...

anyway, i've never played zelda 2, i hope its really worthy of being #100

__IrregularCape

IrregularCape said:

The only reason I'm not downloading this is because I have this on the Zelda Collector's edition disc for Game Cube, so, I'm good :D

RMA

RMA said:

Well we're 96 games in, so I'm predicting a 3 game release for this week, followed something HUGE for next week (Paper Mario is where I'm putting my money...literally if I'm right!). There's a post on the forum about a missing url in the sequence of N64 releases...OoT-BLANK-F-Zero X, so it's a high possibility that if the 100 is a N64 release, that'll be the one.

__Ghetto_ninja

Ghetto_ninja said:

The last 2 weeks have been pretty terrible for games Actraiser is the only one that got 5 stars but i don't plan on downloading it. Thank god they released Streets of Rage 2 to get through this drought of really excellent games. Hopefully another A list week like 3 weeks ago is coming soon.

RMA

RMA said:

Dazza...have a look at my prediction above...couldn't have been more spot on!