Forums

Topic: Shovel Knight

Posts 121 to 140 of 350

MoonKnight7

@MrGameluvr

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try the next time I play it.

Switch: SW-5604-4754-2312
3DS: 1547-5509-1587
Wii U: Sherlok

Switch Friend Code: SW-5604-4754-2312 | 3DS Friend Code: 1547-5509-1587 | Nintendo Network ID: Sherlok

kkslider5552000

jariw wrote:

According to the latest weekly download chart (presumably for the US, since it's not on the european eShop yet). Pretty impressive downloads for Shovel Knight, since the top 4 has always been MK8 free downloads for many weeks now.
http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-eshop-charts-7214/

1. Zelda: Wind Waker HD
2. Pikmin 3
3. Shovel Knight
4. New Super Mario Bros. U
5. Wii Party U

This and Child of Light's support (it's already in the lifetime top 20 for non-VC games) are the most desperately needed things that needed to happen on Wii U.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SleepyCrossing

Shovel Knight might be my favorite 2014 game so far tbh. In love with the platforming style. You can feel both the retro and modern elements and the controls are perfect. Hope it sells well because it deserves to. I mean.. it has a "Butt Mode"...

3DS (Playing): Bravely Default, Conception II, DKCR, SMT:IV
3DS Wishlist: Kirby TD, Smash, Pokemon AS, Fantasy Life, Persona Q, Etrian Odyssey Untold
Wii U (Playing): Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3U, DKCTF, Zombi U, Shovel Knight
Wii U Wishlist: Bayonetta 2, Hy...

kkslider5552000

Beat it. It really is a brilliantly made game and my prediction about it was entirely correct. So let me state, for the record: This is the best game from 1990. The fact that it came out in 2014 shouldn't be held against it.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

jariw wrote:

According to the latest weekly download chart (presumably for the US, since it's not on the european eShop yet). Pretty impressive downloads for Shovel Knight, since the top 4 has always been MK8 free downloads for many weeks now.
http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-eshop-charts-7214/

1. Zelda: Wind Waker HD
2. Pikmin 3
3. Shovel Knight
4. New Super Mario Bros. U
5. Wii Party U

This and Child of Light's support (it's already in the lifetime top 20 for non-VC games) are the most desperately needed things that needed to happen on Wii U.

And now Shovel Knight is ALREADY on that top 20 list as well. It's also the best selling title of the past week, barring the unstoppable juggernaut of Wind Waker HD.

Ryno

I bought, played the first level, and love it. Just have to finish the unstopplable juggernaut that is Wind Waker HD first then I can get back to it.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Eel

I have been playing this on a friend's XL. It's indeed pretty fun! Loved the song on the Plague Knight level.

But I'll still wait for the future features before buying it

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

Meh, the later features just means I have an excuse to replay it.

I actually just decided to replay it on New Game Plus. That might not be ideal with all the other games I need to play that I already own (even ignoring the two I'm saving until next year).

Eel

I will just wait until then in case the 3DS version doesn't get the four player fighting mode.

If it does I'll get it there. If it doesn't I'll get it for the WiiU... Since I'm the only one with a WiiU and I'd guess my usual group of nerds would like to try that mode too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

unrandomsam

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Beat it. It really is a brilliantly made game and my prediction about it was entirely correct. So let me state, for the record: This is the best game from 1990. The fact that it came out in 2014 shouldn't be held against it.

It is not even close to better than any of these games from 1990.

Castlevania 3 (NES) / Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) / Ninja Spirit (TG16 / M.U.S.H.A (Megadrive) / Thunderforce 3 (Megadrive) / Super Star Soldier (TG16) / Magician Lord (Neo Geo or the rest of its launch lineup).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

unrandomsam

Its much better than the rest of the indies on the Wii U but it wouldn't have been the best game of 1990. I do like it (And after about 3.5 hrs I have just done the clock tower and polar knight.)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

dumedum

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Well it's one of the best games of 2014. And it does things that wouldn't be possible back then. Touch screen and Miiverse alone make this game modern and awesome.

MrGameluvr wrote:

@MoonKnight7 I heard this glitch only occurs if you perform a Shovel Drop on Tinker Knight at the end of the first phase. If you avoid doing that you should be fine.

Yep, that's when it happens. It's a pretty big bug, I can't believe they haven't fixed that before release.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Discostew

I have yet to experience the Tinker Knight bug, and I usually end phase 1 with a Shovel Drop.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

retropunky

After a short break, I'm finally on to the tower levels now... man, this game is so much fun.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

kkslider5552000

There was an interesting article recently where someone from Sony was annoyed that some people still discredit the quality and importance of downloadable titles like they "don't count". Which to a point I agree to, especially when you can get better games for less money.

So while I don't like to use this as a definitive example, let's look at the Metacritic score for this game and compare it to retail titles this year.

Shovel Knight has an 87. Mario Kart is literally one point above this.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze has an 83.
Infamous Second Son has an 80
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare has both next gen versions in the 70s.
Both next gen versions of TITANFALL are an 86. One point below Shovel Knight.
Watch Dogs is between 77 and 80

Now to be fair, Shovel Knight's PC version is...an 86. But I'll be honest, much of the REALLY glowing praise of the game has come from Youtube reviewers who aren't on Metacritic.

Like I could go on about my own opinion about this game, but I don't actually have to. Because it's just idiotic that any serious gamer would still look down on smaller indie and downloadable games. I'm disappointed in myself that it took me so long to consider it more than bonus games to be played between important games (World of Goo was probably my only exception to this for quite a while). I mean, Mario Kart is cool and all, but I haven't bothered to beat all the courses on 150cc, yet I'm immediately willing to go back to New Game Plus for Shovel Knight. Or for that matter, VVVVVV has been my go to second game on my 3DS since late last year.

I'm glad to see games specifically focused on such quality level and game design with a sort of K.I.S.S. philosophy towards it all succeed like this. Even on Nintendo.

CanisWolfred

I dunno if you've been to PushSquare, Tops, but lately it seemed like people there don't really care much about all the quality download games they're frequently getting on the PS4. I remember there was one article (This one) where Sony mentions 13 new PSN games, and half the people in the comments are going "Enough with this indie crud, where's my real games, Sony???" They seriously don't think it counts if its downloadable, which IMO just doesn't hold water anymore. Not with the amount of DL games that have consistantly outshined the retail offerings on both the PS3 and 360 (and arguably the Wii).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

I wouldn't go that far, but the incredibly large period of time of trying to transition to next gen consoles have made downloadable titles the games worth caring about, especially since people stopped putting huge restrictions on how small developers get on a home console.

Though Metroidvania titles being released while Nintendo takes forever to make a new Metroid and Konami refuses to make a Castlevania that isn't a pathetic attempt to be other games, is probably a good example of why else indies have been on the rise.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Spoony_Tech

Just 2 short years ago I was in the boat of Indies weren't as good as retail. With the flood of good to great games on the shop now how can anyone think otherwise.

My thoughts are lots of people and some reviewers don't rate indie titles the same as a full priced game and that's where we see some not even want to bother with them. Little do they know that eventually the lines will be so blurred that all titles will be dl only and we won't be able to tell the difference other then price. We still might be a generation awAy from it but it will happen.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

jariw

Tops wrote:

Good read, especially the source article. Thanks for the post. It's interesting how difficult it is for them to push indie titles in the midst of what some choose to call an indie "movement" or whatnot. At least Sony feels these games have enough value to pursue.

Isn't this more related to an eShop model where publishers pay for exposure?

Spoony_Tech wrote:

My thoughts are lots of people and some reviewers don't rate indie titles the same as a full priced game and that's where we see some not even want to bother with them.

If a game costs 10-25% of a full priced game, what's the correct way to rate it?

jariw

Sorry, this topic has been locked.