Forums

Topic: wii successor: the rumor mill has exploded

Posts 221 to 240 of 272

romulux

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I was clearly way too optimistic about the intelligence or any possible lack of greed from Nintendo. Oh well, enjoy the lack of good console games on Nintendo consoles for the next 3 years....again.

Nintendo being fun again was nice while it lasted. Hope the sheep enjoy a ton of unoriginal FPSs, half-assed spin off titles and (spoilers!) the same amount of shovelware as Wii.

still have no idea what you're talking about. you don't even know what the console is yet and you're already judging its game library? how would you know what sort of games will be developed for it? if your point is that it'll take time for developers to figure out the system and provide good games then you're not really leaving room for nintendo to ever make another system... again. that's just part of the process, you can't expect a system to release with an instant library of great games.

nintendo has released a new console every 5-6 years, what's surprising/disappointing/greedy/stupid about seeing it happen again right on schedule? a system will only sell for so long before it's run its course and the wii is reaching that point, there's not much more to do with it that hasn't already been done, and most fans have been clamoring for a new system for a long while. from both nintendo and the fan's viewpoint this is the right time to introduce it. what would you rather see happen? avoid releasing a system with new potential for fear of shovelware and instead stick with the obsolete system that's already full of shovelware?

not trying to rant, it's just that if you're going to insult nintendo and most of its fans at least have reasons that make sense.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

noname001

I know I'm against the norm, but I would've loved to see the Wii go on a few more years. I like buying a console and then being set for quite some time.

Not to say I'm not going to buy the 'Cafe' day one.

noname001

kkslider5552000

Actually considering GCN's last year and a half it's like 3 1/2 years with a disturbing lack of good games released on Nintendo consoles.

I'll be completely honest. This is mainly me hating the middle finger the gaming community has given original games released on Wii (and to a lesser extent DS) as those games are a large reason why I have enjoyed gaming lately as much as when I was a kid. And also hating myself for now being able to kinda understand "it's popular, now it sucks" elitist people.

I really, REALLY want to be proven wrong. Support new IPs people!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

romulux

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'll be completely honest. This is mainly me hating the middle finger the gaming community has given original games released on Wii

if that's the case then you should be happy about a new console. even mainstream games aren't selling on the wii, the system has been like kryptonite to a lot of serious gamers. maybe on the new system nintendo will win back the... getting real tired of this phrase... "hardcore" support and those original games will actually get to see some sales.

i've enjoyed a lot of great and innovative wii games that probably wouldn't have been created on the other systems, where you don't need strong art direction for strong visuals or good gameplay to impress players. forcing developers to make something interesting by depriving them of all that HD business has been a good thing for the wii's library overall. but again, it hasn't necessarily given those companies good rewards. get them a system where people actually will take interest in what they do.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Killamancer

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Actually considering GCN's last year and a half it's like 3 1/2 years with a disturbing lack of good games released on Nintendo consoles.

I'll be completely honest. This is mainly me hating the middle finger the gaming community has given original games released on Wii (and to a lesser extent DS) as those games are a large reason why I have enjoyed gaming lately as much as when I was a kid. And also hating myself for now being able to kinda understand "it's popular, now it sucks" elitist people.

Not really sure what point your trying to make or what supporting original games has to do with the next system. If anything, you will find more original titles on the system from indie devs via the next "wiiware". Without the size limitation that the wii has, the system will probably get most of the digital download games that the pc and other consoles get.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

How about we buy games we enjoy instead of only buying games that are "original".

3ds FC : 3823 - 8527 - 1863
Pokemon White FC : 3739 - 8843 - 9193

miletich3

Zaphod+Beeblebrox wrote:

If it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360, I hope Nintendo can figure out how to keep it from overheating (yellow light and red ring of death.

I hope not. In my opinion, the Wii does not deserve a successor without the motion based controls or anything revolutionary.

Edited on by miletich3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NShgvtEro7I

skywake

miletich3 wrote:

Zaphod+Beeblebrox wrote:

If it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360, I hope Nintendo can figure out how to keep it from overheating (yellow light and red ring of death.

I hope not. In my opinion, the Wii does not deserve a successor without the motion based controls or anything revolutionary.

You hope their next console isn't more powerful than the 360/PS3 or you hope it overheats? You do realise that even the Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of the previous generation (XBox)... yes? It'd be very strange if the Wii2/Cafe didn't go beyond the 360/PS3 and, to be perfectly honest, not doing so would completely defeat the point of a new console.

I've said this heaps here but let me say it again. I'm quite sure that Nintendo's strategy is to make a console that attracts cross platform games for the end of this generation and well into the next. This is Nintendo's version of the Kinect or PS Move but for Nintendo it's the hardware that gets them on a level playing field. I don't think they'll drop support for the Wii anytime soon and I don't think they will drop the Wii Remote. My bet is that when the cross platform shooters are inevitably sold on the Wii2/Cafe they will come with Wii Controller support because the Wii Controller is still one of their major advantages. They might even bundle the Cafe with a Wii Remote Plus!

If the industry murmurs are anything to go by, Nintendo are making a very early start of the next generation here. Expect the 360/PS3 to hover around for ages and expect the Wii2/Cafe to get many of the sort games that have defined the "HD consoles". Also expect Wii2/Cafe exclusives from Nintendo/Retro/Capcom etc, etc to come with awesome visuals. Also expect Wii games aimed at the mass/family/casual market to still be made just like there are Kinect games for the 360. All companies are going specifically for the two markets now....... the difference is Nintendo gives the casual consumers a cheaper option while also giving the hardcore more than what their opponents can deliver for a premium.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dolabla

Can't wait to see this new console at E3 .

dolabla

kkslider5552000

Killamancer wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

How about we buy games we enjoy instead of only buying games that are "original".

well obviously, don't buy bad new IPs. That would just be stupid.

Gamesake

skywake wrote:

You do realise that even the Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of the previous generation (XBox)... yes?

Well since you bring it up, was the Wii more powerful than an old Xbox?

I'm not saying the Wii isn't more powerful than an Xbox, but if that's the case how come the Wii games don't look as good as Xbox games? Skycrawlers vs. Crimson Skies, Golden Eye vs. Halo, Burnout Revenge vs. Need for Speed Nitro, etc.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

CoffeeWithGames

Gamesake wrote:

skywake wrote:

You do realise that even the Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of the previous generation (XBox)... yes?

Well since you bring it up, was the Wii more powerful than an old Xbox?

I'm not saying the Wii isn't more powerful than an Xbox, but if that's the case how come the Wii games don't look as good as Xbox games? Skycrawlers vs. Crimson Skies, Golden Eye vs. Halo, Burnout Revenge vs. Need for Speed Nitro, etc.

Not only the graphics, but it's online service as well...no patches, no updates, no voice chat standard, no standards at all really.

Edited on by CoffeeWithGames

My site, CoffeeWithGames.com!

Nintendo Network ID: Coffees | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Gamesake wrote:

Skycrawlers vs. Crimson Skies, Golden Eye vs. Halo, Burnout Revenge vs. Need for Speed Nitro, etc.

I see your point about Goldeneye but Crimson Skies was one of the best games on Xbox while Skycrawlers is a licensed game (apparently a decent licensed game but still...) and Burnout Revenge is considered to be one of the best racing games of the past decade and Need for Speed Nitro is considered to be a joke.

IanMage

I made an unnoficial video of the "Nintendo Stream."
[youtube:NxwvqDDyaOs]
It's far from realistic, but it uses some of the rumored ideas.

3DS friend code: 1160-9727-7802
Wii U ID: ianmage1
I'm working on an animated feature film called "WhiteLand." Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1

Cia

A new rumor from Go nintendo says: "Nintendo may consider letting the Metroid series cool for awhile after support for the franchise seems to be waning". If this is true, i hope that all the complainers are happy. Maybe we should start complain more about Mario and Zelda too? Who needs these sub-par series anyway.

Cia

Chrono_Cross

Faron wrote:

A new rumor from Go nintendo says: "Nintendo may consider letting the Metroid series cool for awhile after support for the franchise seems to be waning". If this is true, i hope that all the complainers are happy. Maybe we should start complain more about Mario and Zelda too? Who needs these sub-par series anyway.

That IS just a rumor though. So I wouldn't be so gullible into believing something Nintendo hasn't officially announced is true. Besides Nintendo will never stop consistently making Zelda/Mario games.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

retired_account

If it means no Other M 2 then that me makes me very happy.

The amount of controversy over OM shows that a large — a very large amount of fans were not happy with it. I think that alone shows that they did something wrong. The series can evolve and become better without Nintendo forcing us to watch a sappy Samus in a B-Grade plot. And no, I never considered Samus a soulless killing machine, and neither did I consider her an insecure emo.

/minirant. I hope Nintendo puts Retro back on it.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

JonWahlgren

pixelman wrote:

I hope Nintendo puts Retro back on it.

Aaah, I've got mixed feelings on that. While the three Prime games were absolutely amazing, I think it might be best to leave them be. If Retro does take another stab at Metroid, I'd hope they mix up the formula a bit — by 3 it was getting a little same-y to me.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

Cia

^Nintendo fans are never satisfied. Other M was too different, Twilight Princess was too large and similar to OOT and Mario Galaxy just didn't have that "something" in it. Donkey Kong Country Returns was worse than previous DKC's because it didn't offer enough new things and had bad controls. New Super Mario Bros Wii was too traditional also. Super Smash Bros Brawl just plain sucked because it didn't control exactly like Melee (even though it was too similar to that game also!).
When Gamecube was on the market, the situation were the same: Super Mario Sunshine was horrendous compared to SM 64, Wind Waker was too childish and Metroid Prime was decent, but had bad controls because they weren't copied from other FPS games, and was nothing compared to Super Metroid. At least everyone seemed to like Melee back then.
In the time of N64, Super Mario 64 had horrible controls and could never had any chance against it's 2d- predecessors. Zelda OOT was decent, but A Link to the Past was the greatest game ever, so there were many who thought that 3D was ruining Zelda. Majora's Mask was too weird, and the original time travelling idea it had spoiled it. Starfox 64 was somehow worse for many than it's 16-bit counterpart. Etc. etc. etc. This behavior just keeps repeating itself and i have no idea why. Well, at least i'm happy about new great games also alongside with older classics.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

retired_account

Jon+Wahlgren wrote:

pixelman wrote:

I hope Nintendo puts Retro back on it.

Aaah, I've got mixed feelings on that. While the three Prime games were absolutely amazing, I think it might be best to leave them be. If Retro does take another stab at Metroid, I'd hope they mix up the formula a bit — by 3 it was getting a little same-y to me.

Who said anything about Prime! They just made DKCR, I want them to make 2D Metroid baby!

@Faron: I don't think there was nearly as much controversy over Twilight Princess or Super Mario Galaxy or any other Nintendo game as there was over Other M, and that says something. Also to single out Nintendo fans as being nit-picky is silly. You get that with every fanbase in existence.

For the record, my issue with Other M wasn't that it was different. It was a shoddily-made, soulless game that all but ruined my vision of one of my favorite video game characters ever.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

JonWahlgren

Other M can be called a lot of things, but "shoddily made" is not one of them.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.