Forums

Topic: wii successor: the rumor mill has exploded

Posts 241 to 260 of 272

Chrono_Cross

Jon Wahlgren wrote:

Other M can be called a lot of things, but "shoddily made" is not one of them.

In your opinion. While I for one agree with pixelman.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

retired_account

Jon+Wahlgren wrote:

Unless you consider shiny graphics to nullify that, then I beg to differ. Level design, enemy design, boss design, and overall game design are huge factors when I consider the quality of a game. The level design was uninspired and boring as hell, the enemy design was half-a$$ed and reused over and over and over again, there was no apparent effort put into the boss fights, and the combat system was broken.

Yes, broken. When all it takes to win a fight is to mash the d-pad and spam your charge shot, then yeah, it's broken. The only times I died were when I got surprised by an enemy, and that's also broken. I could live with an action-focused Metroid game if the action was actually fun. The things I mentioned above wouldn't bother me much if the game wasn't so action-focused, but it was, so they matter all the more.

Sh*tty direction for the cutscenes didn't help anything either.

It failed as a Metroid game and it failed as an action game. I still can't get the bad taste of it out of my mouth. :/

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

JonWahlgren

Chrono Cross wrote:

Jon+Wahlgren wrote:

In your opinion. While I for one agree with pixelman.

Well, yes. Don't get me wrong, it was a divisive game and I totally get why people didn't like it, but I think it's unfair to call it "shoddily made." Soul-less, yeah I can see why you'd think so, but it's not like it was a bug-ridden slap job.

I really liked that Other M was brave enough to rethink itself, but different strokes etc. What are we talking about?

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

retired_account

^ Well it did have a game-breaking bug, lol.

That's not what I mean though. Shoddily made as in shoddy design, nothing really technical.
but yeah, getting a little OT now, lol. /me is done ranting.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

JonWahlgren

Alrighty, I think we're clearly on different sides of the line for this game so it's probably best if we just agree to disagree!

But yeah, like you said before, a 2D Retroid would be pretty awesome. I'm kinda ready to go portable again with Metroid, it's been too long.

JonWahlgren

retired_account

I wonder if Retro will go portable. I don't think they developed Hunters. Though I'd love to see it happen, I think Nintendo wants them to revive their other franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero after they proved how capable they are.

retired_account

kkslider5552000

Can we just ban Other M discussion now, it got old like 2 months after the game's release.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JonWahlgren

pixelman wrote:

I wonder if Retro will go portable. I don't think they developed Hunters. Though I'd love to see it happen, I think Nintendo wants them to revive their other franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero after they proved how capable they are.

They better not skip out on F-Zero HD. Give it back to the GX team and melt my eyes with beauty and my brain with glee.

JonWahlgren

Gamesake

Faron wrote:

A new rumor from Go nintendo says: "Nintendo may consider letting the Metroid series cool for awhile after support for the franchise seems to be waning". If this is true, i hope that all the complainers are happy. Maybe we should start complain more about Mario and Zelda too? Who needs these sub-par series anyway.

What does this have to do with the Wii successor? You should bring it up on a Metroid: Other M thread.
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/metroid_other_m_hypedi...
@faron I won't be happy until Nintendo takes Yoshio Sakamoto out of the Metroid equation.

...in my pants.

romulux

Gamesake wrote:

@faron I won't be happy until Nintendo takes Yoshio Sakamoto out of the Metroid equation.

that's the guy directed super metroid you're talking about there. just because he made one unpopular game doesn't mean his past work doesn't count (as i recall people really seem to like zero mission and fusion too).

back to not talking about other m

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Cia

Gamesake wrote:

Faron wrote:

A new rumor from Go nintendo says: "Nintendo may consider letting the Metroid series cool for awhile after support for the franchise seems to be waning". If this is true, i hope that all the complainers are happy. Maybe we should start complain more about Mario and Zelda too? Who needs these sub-par series anyway.

What does this have to do with the Wii successor? You should bring it up on a Metroid: Other M thread.
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/metroid_other_m_hypedi...

I mentioned the rumor in this thread because there is a possibility that we don't necessarily see a new Metroid game in the next Nintendo console. And yeah, Sakamoto has proven that he is a great game designer in the past (i liked Other M as well).

Edited on by Cia

Cia

skywake

Gamesake wrote:

skywake wrote:

You do realise that even the Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of the previous generation (XBox)... yes?

Well since you bring it up, was the Wii more powerful than an old Xbox?

I'm not saying the Wii isn't more powerful than an Xbox, but if that's the case how come the Wii games don't look as good as Xbox games? Skycrawlers vs. Crimson Skies, Golden Eye vs. Halo, Burnout Revenge vs. Need for Speed Nitro, etc.

I think you're looking through rose tinted glasses. Halo 2:
Untitled

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

th14

I hope they add trophies to the Wii 2!

th14

Cia

Halo 2 looks and plays just like The Conduit 2. Except that the Conduit 2 is slightly better.
P.S. How out of topic is it possible for thread to go?

Edited on by Cia

Cia

Gamesake

Faron wrote:

How out of topic is it possible for thread to go?

I think it's one Keyboard Playing Cat away from getting locked.

skywake wrote:

Gamesake wrote:

skywake wrote:

You do realise that even the Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of the previous generation (XBox)... yes?

Well since you bring it up, was the Wii more powerful than an old Xbox?

I'm not saying the Wii isn't more powerful than an Xbox, but if that's the case how come the Wii games don't look as good as Xbox games? Skycrawlers vs. Crimson Skies, Golden Eye vs. Halo, Burnout Revenge vs. Need for Speed Nitro, etc.

I think you're looking through rose tinted glasses.

I don't think so. Xbox games have gotten old, but they still do some things that Wi games don't--or possibly can't.
I poked around a bit and here's what turned up.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/13442
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/10/is-the-wii-less-powerful-than-the-original-xbox/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/archive/index.php/t-541267.html
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/25857210/xbox-1-stronger-than-wii-no-56k&msg_id=292122795

skywake wrote:

It'd be very strange if the Wii2/Cafe didn't go beyond the 360/PS3 and, to be perfectly honest, not doing so would completely defeat the point of a new console.

It doesn't look like it would be strange at all, considering the power of the Wii. The point would be catching up with the other HD consoles. It would be interesting if they had the most powerful system, but the idea might be to cut costs and make it on par with the PS360. Especially if their new controller costs $100 each.

...in my pants.

skywake

@Gamesake
Two things. There is a well known journalist rule, which I can't remember the name of ATM, that any article that has a question in the title can be answered with either no or probably not. The thought behind this is that a question title shows uncertainty.

Those first two links are good examples of this. They both ask the question but then the first one concludes that "Bach's initial claim about the Wii being underpowered compared to the Xbox wasn't unfounded, but not completely true" and the second article comes to the conclusion that it is possible that the Wii might even be able to do some things the 360/PS3 can't. Hardly proof of your point. The other two links are forum arguments so you get quoting of clock speeds (irrelevant) and screenshots of very different games.

The main reason I don't see the Cafe/Wii3 being this PS3/360 equivalent console is that THIS time they aren't trying to capture the markets they were with the Wii this time. Why would "core" gamers buy the Cafe/Wii2 if it was only just as powerful as a PS3/360? How would a new console at the same price with the same features as the competition today get people to buy? Where would that leave them in 2014 when the PS4/720 come out?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Malkeor

That just looks wayyy to clunky. But it is a nice mock up.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

SigourneyBeaver

I faind it hard to believe the 6" screen rumours. But I think if it had something of a DS Lite touchscreen size it would be comfortable and still reasonably priced. Those touchscreens must cost them pennies by now.

Sigourney Beaver.

kkslider5552000

WaveBoy wrote:

The controller is much better than the mockup IGN did.

the one I made was better than IGN's so that isn't exactly a difficult task

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.