Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Thread of SPOILERS

Posts 301 to 320 of 391

Philip_J_Reed

I don't think the game needs to. As explained above, there's only one possibility. It's not a mystery in any sense; if you pay attention to the clues, there is absolutely, positively only one possible solution. The last thing we need is yet another moment where Samus pauses to lengthily explain something to us that we already know.

I actually liked that the game didn't sit us down and walk us through the clues and explain who the deleter was. Why should it? Surely we've all sat through films, or TV shows, or even books that spend far too much time explaining to us something that we've guessed hours ago. It's a frustrating process, and it makes the characters seem like imbeciles for figuring something out long after the audience has moved on. It was a nice bit of narrative restraint in a game that could otherwise have used a lot more of it.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

SkullMan

I love that guy's reviews they always make me laugh. Best review ever because what he's saying is funny but it's also spot on. I like he to gets angry about the deleter storyline being completely dropped. And Samus' terrible voice acting and the terrible dialogue. Her freezing up during the boss fight with Ridley after she's fought and defeated him a gazillion times. I can help but feel the Japanese developers forced their skewed perceptions of females onto Samus with her almost appearing to be a little helpless girl with daddy issues and just wanting to be loved, and hurt the series. This isn't Final Fantasy, it's Metroid.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

MysteriousVoice

Its just like AVGN reviews, hilarious, and not to be taken seriously.

A Mysterious Voice suddenly speaks out to you....
......Whos there?

SkullMan

MysteriousVoice wrote:

Its just like AVGN reviews, hilarious, and not to be taken seriously.

I think you misinterpret these reviews. The funny thing is is that they are to be taken seriously by pointing out legitimate faults with games and but in a very funny ranting raving manner. They take what we all feel about the games and just rip on it and present it in a way that makes them really funny. But in the end they are still real reviews.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Philip_J_Reed

When your primary concern is making people laugh, you're a humorist.

When your primary concern is evaluating the positive and negative aspects of a piece of work, you're a reviewer.

Yahtzee is a humorist. And he makes no secret of that. That's not to say that he can't make legitimate points along the way (he does), but when he himself says within one of his videos that he's intentionally going to belittle a game rather than admit it's good because that's what his viewers prefer (see the Bioshock episode), he's kind of sacrificing the right to be thought of as a serious reviewer.

Reviewers don't go into games looking for reasons to hate them, but, by his own admission, that's exactly what Yahtzee does. Because it's funnier. Not because it leads to a sounder review.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

BulbasaurusRex

SkullMan wrote:

I love that guy's reviews they always make me laugh. Best review ever because what he's saying is funny but it's also spot on. I like he to gets angry about the deleter storyline being completely dropped. And Samus' terrible voice acting and the terrible dialogue. Her freezing up during the boss fight with Ridley after she's fought and defeated him a gazillion times. I can help but feel the Japanese developers forced their skewed perceptions of females onto Samus with her almost appearing to be a little helpless girl with daddy issues and just wanting to be loved, and hurt the series. This isn't Final Fantasy, it's Metroid.

Terrible dialogue, yes, but Samus's voice acting was pretty good for the internal monologues of a loner. For the last time, Samus froze up upon finding Ridley not just because of their history but because he was supposed to finally be dead.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

retired_account

Chicken Brutus wrote:

It was a nice bit of narrative restraint in a game that could otherwise have used a lot more of it.

I agree with this so much. I loved Samus's narrative most of the time, but there were many times when she really should've just kept quiet. For instance, when Adam called her an outsider, it would've been much more effective if she said little or nothing about it. I don't need her to tell me that it's a cold statement, and her "pierced my heart" line simply made me cringe and ruined the mood.

It was this montage of design flaws that brought the game down for me. The post game locked doors, the unnecessary and occasionally badly-written dialog... Gah. Annoying.

retired_account

lockelocke

its worth noting that Samus has only defeated Ridley twice at the time Other M takes place. and he murdered her family.

also, during my 2nd playthrough (during the epilogue) I checked out the "Story" section of the menu, and the little bit about K.G.'s mysterious unknown whereabouts is a nice implication of the Deleter's identity. not that I care who the Deleter is. it was a pretty pointless plot thread IMO.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

Woots

Ridley was the little mouse thing. Anybody else figure that out? A huh huh huh.

I've made a huge mistake.

A wild 3DS Friend Code appears: 0473-7844-8530

Follow me on the Twitter: @Pixel_Flip
Formerly Wooton, Lucario1394, DrWootBerg, etc.

Twitter:

TheAmazingRaccoon

pixelman wrote:

Do you seriously think I'd help a man who forgets the name of Bergman, a name you absolutely can't forget if you're a fan of Casablanca, and therefore must be grouped with all non-fans who are my mortal enemies?

...sorry, i'm done now.

Octopus is phantoon from super or zero mission (or both)
I'm actually really disappointed with Other M, in retrospect. I think it's mainly because you never have an entirely free reign to explore in the game, contrary to Super Metroid. The locked doors really are annoying me and are making me not want to bother beating it 100%. And when I think about it, acquiring "new" weapons/suits/etc. was pretty unsatisfactory compared to Super Metroid, as there was absolutely no sense of discovery or accomplishment: "Samus, you're about to die again. Use your Ice Beam!"

I was also pretty disappointed with the final bosses. I didn't feel any nostalgia for Metroid Queen (having not played Metroid 2), the MB fight was crazy lame, and well, the Space Octopus just felt tacked on.

I honestly had the most fun playing the game during the middle, when I wasn't really powerful, the areas were unfamiliar, and the story was still mysterious.

I'm still going to try to beat it 100%, and I'll probably replay the game, but words cannot describe how annoyed I am with the post-game locked doors. It's an absolutely idiotic design choice. >.<

It's just an empty pot...
No, wait!
There's something at the bottom!
It's just somebody's gum...

Gamesake

lockelocke wrote:

its worth noting that Samus has only defeated Ridley twice at the time Other M takes place.

...but now he's dead for good, right?

Wow. That summed up the game better than anything I've seen AND it ties into my Other M question:

Why DOES Adam Malkovich sacrifice himself in Sector 0? Samus blows stuff up all the time and she never goes down with the ship. Is there something else in there he didn't want her to see? Even stranger than Adam not letting you enter Sector 0 is after it's destroyed MB is still terrorizing the Research Facility. Isn't that why you were going to Sector 0 in the first place? To kill the new Mother Brain who we now know to be linked to Melissa? It seems like the only reason Samus goes to Sector 0 is to watch Malkovich die in an unnecessary fireball of glory.

...in my pants.

lockelocke

@Gamesake
by the way, I was totally wrong. I had no idea the Prime series takes place BEFORE the events of Super Metroid. So, yeah. Samus has totally killed Ridley like a million times.

i_am_error
backlockelockery

KingBroly

Actually, the Prime games describe in great length and detail that Ridley didn't die in Metroid, Metroid Prime, and the opening of 3. The end of 3 is up for debate, but...eh. As of Other M, this is the first game to say flat out "Ridley is dead."

Adam sacrifices himself because he thinks MB and unfreezable Metroids are inside Sector 0 (And at that point, so do you and Samus). It's only until AFTER THE FACT that you find out that MB was not in Sector 0. Unfreezable Metroids were definitely there, but not MB, who is in actuality Melissa. It's supposed to be tragic and somewhat ironic, especially if you look at Metroid Fusion.

KingBroly

lockelocke

@KingBroly
for sure, you know what I mean tho. Samus fights and defeats Ridley like a million times.

and the game makes it abundantly clear as to why Adam is blowing up sector 0, I think what Gamesake was trying to say is, why does he need to be inside sector 0 to blow it up. it seems like a lazy plot device. mind you, I'm not one of the soldiers in the war against Other M's story, I'm just trying to clarify.

i_am_error
backlockelockery

romulux

the federation was coming to recover the metroids from sector zero. in fact, that's why james was sent in to kill the survivors and wipe out the evidence instead of just destroying the whole ship from space, since they needed the metroids alive. there was no way to kill them with the weapons on hand so adam used the self destruct mechanism to take them out in time.

the mb thing does have one plot hole if you've seen the final end of the game, and that is that adam somehow knew that melissa was mb before attacking sector zero. he sees melissa fooling samus into believing that she's madeline bergman and yells "samus, no!" before coming to stop her, so obviously he knew at the very least she wasn't who she said she was.

you'd think that if he knew she were the real mb he would have had samus deal with her instead of telling her to fight ridley, so maybe there's some middle way explanation where he knew she wasn't the real madeline bergman but didn't know she was mother brain. there's a screen adam looks at during that scene that might explain how he knows about mb, you'd have to pause it to see what it says.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

KingBroly

I never got the impression that Adam knew Melissa or Madeline was MB. I think it was more of a 'It's a Trap' sorta deal. He actually says "Madeline Bergman is no ally", presumably in reference to MB.

KingBroly

retired_account

What I didn't understand was why he didn't warn her if he was worried about MB. I mean it's conceivable that he panicked and ran off to help her, but from everything that happened prior to that cutscene, he's the last guy that you'd think would panic. That was the weakest plot point, IMHO.

I want to replay this game now, lol.

retired_account

KingBroly

Adam lost his communicator, if you remember.

KingBroly

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.