Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Thread of SPOILERS

Showing 381 to 393 of 393

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

381. Posted:

xDemon720x wrote:

I'm sorry, but if I were Samus (I think we all would right?) I would disobey Adam and use the Varia Suit anyways so my butt don't get cooked.

But you realize that this, by definition, is what characterization is. It's painting Samus as an individual. That is to say, she doing things and saying things and acting in ways that you and I might not. Because she's not you and I. And she's not Mario, or Master Chief, or Alucard. She's an individual who is going out of her way to respect the chain of command even when it places her life in danger. Whether or not you would act that way is beside the point. It shows Samus as having an unhealthy desire to atone for her past transgression(s), and that's a defining character moment for her.

In reality, yes, we'd just use the Varia Suit and get on with our day.

In the game, and in any form of art, you need to establish what makes Samus Samus. And that's--for better or worse--exactly what they were trying to do.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

382. Posted:

I don't think the hell run had anything to do with the story. It's just a part of every Metroid game.

That was fun -he's right about most of that. I believe it's more likely a culture gap. Everyone wanted to see Lara Croft, and Sakamoto gave us Lynn Minmei.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cia

383. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

I don't think the hell run had anything to do with the story. It's just a part of every Metroid game.

That was fun -he's right about most of that. I believe it's more likely a culture gap. Everyone wanted to see Lara Croft, and Sakamoto gave us Lynn Minmei.

I would rather see a shotgun pointed to my head than some generic Lara Croft clone. Nevertheless, i'm really starting to consider skipping Other M, if it really has such a bad story and breaks peoples consoles.

Cia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pixelman

384. Posted:

Breaks whose consoles? All I've heard of is the save game glitch, but that didn't break any consoles, did it? I played through it without experiencing that bug myself. Also, the story was actually the main driving force that made me beat the game in under a week. I thought the ending was lousy emo JRPG crappiness, though, and some of Samus's lines were really cringe-worthy. At any rate, it's definitely worth a rental. :3

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Token_Girl

385. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

I don't think the hell run had anything to do with the story. It's just a part of every Metroid game.

That was fun -he's right about most of that. I believe it's more likely a culture gap. Everyone wanted to see Lara Croft, and Sakamoto gave us Lynn Minmei.

That was a really interesting article. I don't have an issue with the way she's characterized, but it would have been nice if there had been some, at least subtle, acknowledgement that this relationship wasn't healthy. To create some sort of divide between Samus glamorizing it in her own mind and the outside some acknowledgment (through something as subtle as tone of music/lighting could work or other character's responses) that YOU shouldn't be glamorizing this relationship, because she is broken because of it. I think then it could have been seen as a powerful story of a human figure with human flaws as opposed to slipshod writing.

I haven't played the game, so maybe it does do that on some level. I'm inclined to feel that if it did, more people would have noticed.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery
Pokemon Platinum FC: 0517 9582 3270
Pokemon SS FC: 4512 4783 5710
Mario Kart DS FC: 4211 7712 2928

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cia

386. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

Breaks whose consoles? All I've heard of is the save game glitch, but that didn't break any consoles, did it? I played through it without experiencing that bug myself. Also, the story was actually the main driving force that made me beat the game in under a week. I thought the ending was lousy emo JRPG crappiness, though, and some of Samus's lines were really cringe-worthy. At any rate, it's definitely worth a rental. :3

I've seen some posts on the tech forum of this site concerning the issue. It seems that dual layer disks cause serious problems in some older Wii models. I bought my Wii day one and it doesn't read Brawl anymore, so i'm not sure if this game is worth the risk.

Cia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

387. Posted:

Faron wrote:

pixelman wrote:

Breaks whose consoles? All I've heard of is the save game glitch, but that didn't break any consoles, did it? I played through it without experiencing that bug myself. Also, the story was actually the main driving force that made me beat the game in under a week. I thought the ending was lousy emo JRPG crappiness, though, and some of Samus's lines were really cringe-worthy. At any rate, it's definitely worth a rental. :3

I've seen some posts on the tech forum of this site concerning the issue. It seems that dual layer disks cause serious problems in some older Wii models. I bought my Wii day one and it doesn't read Brawl anymore, so i'm not sure if this game is worth the risk.

I had the same problem. It is worth the risk, but its just a pain in the ass when your Wii stops reading all your game discs, and you have to send it to Nintendo for it to be fixed which really cuts into your game time, and there's the possibility you lose your save data while they're fixing it... on second thought, it ain't worth it, unless your Wii is a newer version.

However, this is getting rather off-topic.

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter: Jirachi720

AuthorMessage
Avatar

coyote37

388. Posted:

That's a well written article, and a well argued point. I think the problem is that the writers were hacks though, I suspect they just didn't really think about the implications of their writing at all. It makes me lament how close video games sometimes come to telling an interesting story before failing dismally. Just think that with a few rewrites we could have had either:

a) A genuinely warm and likeable father figure in Adam, and non-abusive relationship, meaning that his sacrifice is more dramatic and Samus' future independence and loneliness are more understandable
b) A genuinely subversive plot, where the plot somehow acknowledges that the relationship is abusive, but Samus can't see it (maybe by having Anthony try to make Samus see the reality of it, which would also help his characterization as more than just 'black tough guy'). This would also make Anthony's death even more dramatic, as it would cut Samus' only chance to snap out of her nasty relationship with Adam.

Two potential plots that both would have been more mature and interesting than any video game plot I can think of, without changing the excellent gameplay at all. There really is no reason why we should be subjected to awful video game plots, except the laziness/lack of talent of the writers

coyote37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

389. Posted:

coyote37 wrote:

There really is no reason why we should be subjected to awful video game plots, except the laziness/lack of talent of the writers

Agreed. This is one of Nintendo's biggest series. Go all out with the best guys for the job or don't bother. Especially since this is the only major Nintendo series with any real confirmed timeline.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingBroly

390. Posted:

There was only one writer for Other M though...the series creator. The man who loves Samus Aran more than anyone in the world. Yoshio Sakamoto.

Also, here's another analysis. This one's from a while back and I'm surprised I missed it.
http://www.endoftheweekpodcast.com/apps/blog/show/4796504-the...

This one actually goes into the psychological aspects of it. NOW THIS is how it should've been written.

Edited on by KingBroly

KingBroly

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

391. Posted:

Token+Girl wrote:

That was a really interesting article. I don't have an issue with the way she's characterized, but it would have been nice if there had been some, at least subtle, acknowledgement that this relationship wasn't healthy.

Yeah. All they really had to do was play Bad Romance during the credits and everyone would have been fine.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

392. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

Token+Girl wrote:

That was a really interesting article. I don't have an issue with the way she's characterized, but it would have been nice if there had been some, at least subtle, acknowledgement that this relationship wasn't healthy.

Yeah. All they really had to do was play Bad Romance during the credits and everyone would have been fine.

Heaven.

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bassman_Q

393. Posted:

Just finished reviewing the game! Read it here.

Edited on by Bassman_Q

Currently obsessed with Fire Emblem: Awakening

3DS FC: COMING SOON
Wii Friend Code (Showcase): 5828 1840 9740 9987
WarioWare DIY FC: 3309 7315 6534
Goldeneye 007 (Wii): 0457 2025 5629

Flipnote Hatena (Haven't been on in over 2 years, btw!)
DIY Wikihouse Page
The Qwikloggery