Forums

Topic: NBA JAM

Posts 121 to 140 of 195

CanisWolfred

Panda wrote:

StarFox wrote:

Yet another case of "It's easier to remake the game than re-release it." {sigh}.

Eh? So you'd rather have the old Jams on VC or something than this new, modern one?

I would.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

nintendonerd0011

I just got done playing for a couple hours, and I have to say that I really like it so far! It's similar to the old Arcade classic, but has some upgrades that make it much better.
You can play the game using the Nunchuk/Wiimote and with motion controls in this method, or you can play it with the Classic Controller like you would any sports title. I tried the Nunchuk/Wiimote method for a few games, but much prefer the stand Classic Controller style of play. Motion controls work for really well for some games, but not so much for others.
Gameplay is very similar to the original, except now there is a spinmove/crossover button, and you can throw alley oops. Other than that, the gameplay is pretty much the same. It is MUCH easier to block shots on this game compared to the original, and much harder to steal the ball (it's especially hard to steal the ball by stepping into the passing lane).
My only complaint is that you have to play with a CPU drone, and you can't control whoever has the ball. This may be a unlockable feature later on down the line, but it isn't in the options menu like it is in the original.

nintendonerd0011

Tasuki

I am loving it. It brings back alot of memories for me and its just as addictive as the Arcade was. As Nintendonerd said they have some new movies like crossovers and alley oops but its expect to have some new features and updates. I have played a few games and managed to unlock some of the classic players like Dennis Rodman and David Robinson which I remember as players in the original Arcade so that added to nostalgia factor. I am glad that I did spend the 50 bucks for this. Oh and my son is having a blast with it too.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

BulbasaurusRex

nintendonerd0011 wrote:

My only complaint is that you have to play with a CPU drone, and you can't control whoever has the ball. This may be a unlockable feature later on down the line, but it isn't in the options menu like it is in the original.

Wait, you mean you can't set up a 1 player game to always give you control of the player with the ball when on offense? That's disappointing.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

WiiLovePeace

For those who have it, what are the controls like? As in, what are the specific button presses or motion movements required to spin through the air & slam a massive dunk like in the trailers?

WiiLovePeace

Zach

StarFox wrote:

Yet another case of "It's easier to remake the game than re-release it." {sigh}.

I don't know if it's easier, but it's gotta be more profitable!

Zach

Twitter:

Tasuki

WiiLovePeace wrote:

For those who have it, what are the controls like? As in, what are the specific button presses or motion movements required to spin through the air & slam a massive dunk like in the trailers?

Well it depends on what controller scheme you use. I use the CC since I am played this game back in the day on the SNES. On offense its mainly the y button to shoot and just like in the arcade it mainly depends on where you are in contrast to the basket as to what your guys does. Like for example if you are running with turbo by holding down the L button and press the Y button when you are in the paint if you know what I mean than more than likely you will do a massive dunk. If you are outside of the arch and you are running toward the basket than you will more than likely do a jump shot.

Now I am not sure with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk setup since I dont use them so I cant really help you there.

My Backlog

WanderingHypocrite

Bulbasaurus Rex wrote:

nintendonerd0011 wrote:

Wait, you mean you can't set up a 1 player game to always give you control of the player with the ball when on offense? That's disappointing.

Maybe I remember incorrectly, but I think that was how one of the Jam sequels had it.

WanderingHypocrite

Nintendo Network ID: callmediego

Fuzzy

You can do it in the Tournament Edition on the SNES. I was too lazy to control TWO people though

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

retired_account

First impressions: Meh. The controls took me a long time to get used to, and not being able to control both players is a huge disappointment. There's nothing as unsatisfying as seeing the CPU do a dunk and your getting points for it. Really lame that they didn't add an option to control both players.

So far I've only played classic multiplayer and my bro kinda sucked with the controls, so hopefully it'll get more interesting later on. I'd say though, based purely on the gameplay, that this game is at least 10 bucks overpriced.

WiiLovePeace, I'm using the nunchuck controls. To jump up you simply swing the remote upward, and to dunk you swing downward. You use a similar motion for shooting. I found the nunchuck controls the most intuitive for my first time (my bro was really struggling with the CC too), but I'm going to try to get used to the CC later on.

retired_account

nintendonerd0011

Bulbasaurus Rex wrote:

nintendonerd0011 wrote:

Nope! I have no clue why they didn't offer this as a feature in the options menu, like in the original NBA Jam for SNES. It makes you not want to pass all that much, because once you do you're pretty much just watching the CPU go to work.

nintendonerd0011

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

I have NBA Showtime. Should I keep it?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

retired_account

I just spent about an hour with the CC and won a few games with it, and I honestly think that the nunchuck is more enjoyable to play with. It just feels more comfortable, accurate, intuitive, and simplified.

I'm enjoying the game a bit more now that I'm playing some competitive multiplayer matches, but there's not really a lot of depth to it. It's most fun to play in 10-30 minute spurts.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Tasuki

I find that I have more fun playing it with someone either against them or on the same team. As I said earlier I find the CC easier since thats what I played the original NBA Jam with. Unfortunatly I dont have the CC pro so I dont know if there is much of a difference with it.

My Backlog

retired_account

I played a lot of the SNES Jam a few years ago, but somehow the game feels a lot different now than it did then - even the [classic] controls feel different. Maybe I just have a sucky memory.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

TheBaconator

Does anyone know the code to get the Democrats and Republican teams?

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

Splat

Glad to hear you can use the CC.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

Tasuki

Splat wrote:

You can use the CC the Nunchuk and Remote and the Remote held lengthwise like a NES controller. The only one you cant and I am not sure why, use is a Game Cube controller.

My Backlog

BulbasaurusRex

Tasuki wrote:

Splat wrote:

You can use the CC the Nunchuk and Remote and the Remote held lengthwise like a NES controller. The only one you cant and I am not sure why, use is a Game Cube controller.

Well, we can add EA to the list of idiot developers who allow Classic Controllers but not GameCube Controllers. I'm so glad I found out about the Hori Classic Controller, as it fixes the two problems I have with the Classic Controller: no GameCube game support, and the awkward location of the left analog stick (plus the Hori controller's turbo feature is nice).

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

TheBaconator

I've been playing it for sometime now by myself and it is good fun. Controls take a bit to get used to, but are simple once you get the hang of it. There are also plenty of unlockables to keep you busy, though the game may feel a little repetitive after an hour of play. The remix mode tries to mix things up, but when playing against a computer it can be more about luck then skill. All in It is fun for medium-small burst of play and is probably a lot more enjoyable when playing with a friend.
By the way anyone figure out how to get the politicians yet?

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.