Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U launch discussion

Showing 181 to 200 of 576

AuthorMessage

improvius

181. Posted:

Rochester, NY: I showed up at a local Target (Penfield, NY) at 7:40. There was only one person waiting outside, so I figured I was in great shape to get one when they opened at 8:00. A couple of others showed up, and we chatted a bit while waiting. At 8:00 we were let in, and the small bunch of us headed towards the electronics section like a miniature parade. We found someone marking prices on other video game merchandise, but when we asked him about the Wii U he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. (Not a good sign, I thought.) He called someone higher up on the Target food chain to find out what was going on, then promptly disappeared.

Soon, though, someone else showed up and asked us if we were here for the Wii U. (Success!) Then he asked us if we had our RESERVATION TICKETS. Our eyes all widened. None of us had one, nor did we know that they even existed. But we knew exactly what that meant as soon as he said it. We were screwed. He offered to check to see if any of today's units hadn't been claimed, but he didn't sound hopeful. Sure enough, after a few minutes he came back and told us there were none available.

A few of us stayed to complain, but I started walking out to the parking lot immediately. I knew this avenue was closed. I pulled out my phone and frantically started looking up local retailers. One local Walmart was 24-hours, so I called them on a long shot. They had none in stock. I called another Walmart a little farther away that been open since 7:00, and they had ONE Deluxe kit and 8 Basic ones. I headed there immediately. Fortunately, nobody else got there ahead of me, and I secured the last Deluxe. Hooray!

My question. though, is how does Nintendo feel about retailers doing this "reservation ticket" business? It seems a little shady, and certainly put a damper on my Launch Day experience. Pre-orders are one thing, but pre-selling your incoming stock seems quite another. Is it worth it for me to complain to Nintendo and/or Target? I felt especially bad for the first person in line there, who had been waiting in the cold for almost 2 hours. I hope he manages to secure the Deluxe set he's looking for today.

Happy hunting out there!

Edited on by improvius

improvius

AuthorMessage

akabenjy

182. Posted:

SilverLightning wrote:

watching videos of people setting up there wii u's and us europeans have to wait till the 30th it makes me sooooo mad, you lucky americans (shakes fist in the air) now i will rock back and forth until it comes

I'm Australian. I know how you feel. Just think about the poor Japanese.

akabenjy

AuthorMessage

Wildvine53

183. Posted:

@Improvious Target's Reservation tickets are how they do pre-orders, it sucks they they only got enough units to cover preorders, but that's just the way it works some times.

"If I've learned anything from video games, it's that encountering enemies means you're headed in the right direction."
“Our differences are only skin deep, but our sames go down to the bone.”
Eyeliner, +500 against haters y'all
Credit for my awesome Avatar!

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

AuthorMessage

6ch6ris6

184. Posted:

@improvious

epic story xD

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage

Nintendaholic

185. Posted:

The update for the wii u is so long, been waiting for about 30 minutes and its still not done!

3ds fc:5112-3427-3255
wii u id: nintendaholic

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

186. Posted:

improvius wrote:

Rochester, NY: I showed up at a local Target (Penfield, NY) at 7:40. There was only one person waiting outside, so I figured I was in great shape to get one when they opened at 8:00. A couple of others showed up, and we chatted a bit while waiting. At 8:00 we were let in, and the small bunch of us headed towards the electronics section like a miniature parade. We found someone marking prices on other video game merchandise, but when we asked him about the Wii U he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. (Not a good sign, I thought.) He called someone higher up on the Target food chain to find out what was going on, then promptly disappeared.

Soon, though, someone else showed up and asked us if we were here for the Wii U. (Success!) Then he asked us if we had our RESERVATION TICKETS. Our eyes all widened. None of us had one, nor did we know that they even existed. But we knew exactly what that meant as soon as he said it. We were screwed. He offered to check to see if any of today's units hadn't been claimed, but he didn't sound hopeful. Sure enough, after a few minutes he came back and told us there were none available.

A few of us stayed to complain, but I started walking out to the parking lot immediately. I knew this avenue was closed. I pulled out my phone and frantically started looking up local retailers. One local Walmart was 24-hours, so I called them on a long shot. They had none in stock. I called another Walmart a little farther away that been open since 7:00, and they had ONE Deluxe kit and 8 Basic ones. I headed there immediately. Fortunately, nobody else got there ahead of me, and I secured the last Deluxe. Hooray!

My question. though, is how does Nintendo feel about retailers doing this "reservation ticket" business? It seems a little shady, and certainly put a damper on my Launch Day experience. Pre-orders are one thing, but pre-selling your incoming stock seems quite another. Is it worth it for me to complain to Nintendo and/or Target? I felt especially bad for the first person in line there, who had been waiting in the cold for almost 2 hours. I hope he manages to secure the Deluxe set he's looking for today.

Happy hunting out there!

I have a reservation ticket, but I broke it in half due to the line in the middle. I'm scared it'll be voided.:(

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage

SilverLightning

187. Posted:

akabenjy wrote:

SilverLightning wrote:

watching videos of people setting up there wii u's and us europeans have to wait till the 30th it makes me sooooo mad, you lucky americans (shakes fist in the air) now i will rock back and forth until it comes

I'm Australian. I know how you feel. Just think about the poor Japanese.

those poor souls

im SilverLightning i was @BlueLightning i changed my name, i was born in a barn in ohio i was put in prison. 19 years later andy dufresne escaped shawshank prison.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3094-8702 | Nintendo Network ID: SilverLightning

AuthorMessage

Vehemont

188. Posted:

I still have to wait until tomorrow for UPS to deliver mine........ Oh well, it will be waiting for me after work I suppose. I just hope the update does not take forever or I will have to wait until Tuesday evening to play it.

Edited on by Vehemont

Vehemont

AuthorMessage

ocarinaoftime

189. Posted:

I feel everyones update pain... Im still setting up and i got to go to church soon... Dang nintendo updates goina send me to a devils bad place...

ocarinaoftime

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

190. Posted:

UH-OH... I heard that SD cards used with the wii that has space on it won't work for the transfer... Is this true? I want it to work safely.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage

Super-Mario-Fan

191. Posted:

Oh God. I had two dreams about the Wii U...... Well next time I post here,I will have the Wii U :)

Im a big fan of Mario games :)

Im also a nintendo nerd :P
Nintendo inpires me a lot o w o

AuthorMessage

improvius

192. Posted:

Wildvine53 wrote:

@Improvious Target's Reservation tickets are how they do pre-orders, it sucks they they only got enough units to cover preorders, but that's just the way it works some times.

Seems if they have it in their flyer, they should have at least one available on the day advertised.

improvius

AuthorMessage

ocarinaoftime

193. Posted:

Updates are long be prepared...

ocarinaoftime

AuthorMessage

Super-Mario-Fan

194. Posted:

nintendaholic wrote:

The update for the wii u is so long, been waiting for about 30 minutes and its still not done!

More than 30 minutes? ....I try to seem if I have the time to wait....

Im a big fan of Mario games :)

Im also a nintendo nerd :P
Nintendo inpires me a lot o w o

AuthorMessage

ocarinaoftime

195. Posted:

Church starts in 28 mins and im not thru updating what do i do...

ocarinaoftime

AuthorMessage

HandheldGuru97

196. Posted:

I really need to leave this forum I have to wait a full fours days before I can get/play mine. Oh well at least I am getting the Deluxe set for free, thank you birthday! (I hope).

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems and games!!!!!!!!!!
The 3DS XL is amazing. Much games... ^_^
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/HandheldGuru97
And my Blog! HandheldBlog

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

AuthorMessage

pntjr

197. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Hardware reviews

Theverge

That's gotta be the worst review of the system I've seen.

I second that! They claim the system is very "big". Yeah like the Ps3 and 360 are any smaller.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage

Wildvine53

198. Posted:

improvius wrote:

Wildvine53 wrote:

Seems if they have it in their flyer, they should have at least one available on the day advertised.

Their adds do say Quantities limited

"If I've learned anything from video games, it's that encountering enemies means you're headed in the right direction."
“Our differences are only skin deep, but our sames go down to the bone.”
Eyeliner, +500 against haters y'all
Credit for my awesome Avatar!

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

AuthorMessage

Vehemont

199. Posted:

ocarinaoftime wrote:

Church starts in 28 mins and im not thru updating what do i do...

I would say turn off the auto power down feature and let it continue to download while you are out.

Vehemont

AuthorMessage

GamecubeMan

200. Posted:

Hopefully GamecubeMan isnt taking by the time I get a Wii U in about a year :D
But I got a few tricks up my sleeve :3
Anyways can you look up Wii U user with their Nintendo ID kinda like XBox Live?

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter: jazzygcnman