Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 441 to 460 of 582

skywake

Sportsfan1712 wrote:

Honestly, I love my Wii U, but I think it's smart for Nintendo to abandon it and move to the NX. I don't like the fact the Wii U failed, but I think the NX could be big.

It depends on what it is. If it's somewhere between "half" as powerful as the XBOne and "50%" above the PS4? It'll be competing with those platforms on power, it'll be reasonably priced and it'd be a sensible upgrade from the Wii U. As a strategy I can see how doing that would make sense. However releasing something that's on the other side of it, making a the Wii U equivalent to the Gamecube -> Wii transition? I'm not sure. Unless it's doing something insane ontop of that I don't see how such a home console would be any different from the Wii U.

There is precedent for not upgrading the GPU that much for sure, it's what they did with the Wii. However with the Wii there was progression in terms of tech outside of the minor GPU upgrade. It got bluetooth controllers, WiFi, USB ports, internal storage and higher capacity disks. It wasn't just a trojan horse for a new controller. If this is the grand plan then why not just strip back the Wii U? It already has software and in terms of hardware it's "modern" in every sense other than raw performance. So why replace it if they're not going to push hard on the only area where it is behind?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

PK_Willow

skywake wrote:

Sportsfan1712 wrote:

Honestly, I love my Wii U, but I think it's smart for Nintendo to abandon it and move to the NX. I don't like the fact the Wii U failed, but I think the NX could be big.

It depends on what it is. If it's somewhere between "half" as powerful as the XBOne and "50%" above the PS4? It'll be competing with those platforms on power, it'll be reasonably priced and it'd be a sensible upgrade from the Wii U. As a strategy I can see how doing that would make sense. However releasing something that's on the other side of it, making a the Wii U equivalent to the Gamecube -> Wii transition? I'm not sure. Unless it's doing something insane ontop of that I don't see how such a home console would be any different from the Wii U.

There is precedent for not upgrading the GPU that much for sure, it's what they did with the Wii. However with the Wii there was progression in terms of tech outside of the minor GPU upgrade. It got bluetooth controllers, WiFi, USB ports, internal storage and higher capacity disks. It wasn't just a trojan horse for a new controller. If this is the grand plan then why not just strip back the Wii U? It already has software and in terms of hardware it's "modern" in every sense other than raw performance. So why replace it if they're not going to push hard on the only area where it is behind?

So it seems Nintendo has to make a choice between new controller/gimmick and GPU. Certainly they would save more money from not investing in a gimmick, which could be put towards that GPU/other hardware. If they both had a GPU on par with PS4/X1 and a gimmick, I guess it could work but then the system would be more expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong haha. Though it's hard to say until more information comes out about what they will do, Ninty seems pretty stuck on wanting to "innovate." On one hand, it does provide a unique experience different from the competition that you come to expect with a Nintendo console, but on the other, they aren't exactly equal to the competition I think. Again I could be wrong.

Maybe they'll make another system as accessible with another gimmick like the Wii and gain all those "casuals" (elderly, kids etc) back that supposedly moved on. I wonder if the Wii U will become like the Gamecube - 5 year life span with a quality library but not quantity. It'll be interesting to see how we look back on the Wii U years from now.

NNID: Ruki_the_Human

Bolt_Strike

PK_Penguin wrote:

I wonder if the Wii U will become like the Gamecube - 5 year life span with a quality library but not quantity.

Wii U doesn't have either.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

SuperWiiU

Bolt_Strike wrote:

PK_Penguin wrote:

I wonder if the Wii U will become like the Gamecube - 5 year life span with a quality library but not quantity.

He said "if the Wii U will become", so you just need to give it time.

Bolt_Strike

SuperWiiU wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

PK_Penguin wrote:

No Metroid and its first two years being full of rehashes and shovelware kinda brings down the quality significantly. Plus with the NX looming on the horizon that kinda limits quality releases from coming out.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

PK_Penguin wrote:

In your opinion. I forget, do you even own a Wii U?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Araquanid

DefHalan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

PK_Penguin wrote:

In your opinion. I forget, do you even own a Wii U?

The question is, "Why would he?" Not, "Do you own one?"

This is the issue with the wii u currently. There is not one title that justifies the worth of purchasing the 350/300 dollar console..

You're buying a wii u just so you can play mario kart 8, smash, splatoon, or pikmin 3? I'll admit I bought mine solely for pikmin 3, but ever since that I have maybe 5 games total on my console. Other titles are either remakes, ports from the 3ds (or ports available on the already owned 3ds), or just not really my cup of tea. Splatoon was fun, but it didn't push the wii u to it's limits and quickly grew repetive for me. (Lack of game modes is splatoon's biggest issue.)

The wii u NEEDS a few good triple AAA, newly innovative titles like the wii had it's time with mario galaxy, prime corruption, etc etc which all pushed the console to it's limits inorder to warrant even purchasing. It's one of those cases, if you really like the games then it's worth it to you to purchase.. but for the majority who doesn't necessarly have interest in the games worth buying a new console just to play, it's pretty much only existing for like 3 or 4 games. (Splatoon, Smash, Mario Kart, and soon star fox.)

Then the wii had additional options besides the great AAA titles, if you bought it just for prime corruption, you also get access to all these other great triple AAA games like Twilight princess, skyward sword, battle revolution (eh.), mario galaxy, list goes on forever. Wii u still needs 1 title, and there isn't as much of a variety in games to try alongside whatever it is you bought the console soley for.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Datasun_7

If you only like Splatoon, Smash and Mario kart on the Wii U, then you really need to broaden your horizons I have loads of good Wii U games

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

UGXwolf

@MegaBeedrill I easily have over 35 games on my Wii and find most of them to be more than worth the cost it takes to play them. And I still have games I need to pick up like Bayonetta 2 and a number of the ones in my library I have yet to pick up. If you can't find anything good on the Wii U, you're limiting yourself far too heavily.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DefHalan

@UGXwolf: Basically what I would have said. However I have over 100 games on my Wii U, while all may not be great, there are at least 40 games I would call amazing. (Not counting Virtual Console)

CaviarMeths

Super Mario 3D World is a better game than Super Mario Galaxy.

I said it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

PK_Penguin wrote:

So it seems Nintendo has to make a choice between new controller/gimmick and GPU. Certainly they would save more money from not investing in a gimmick, which could be put towards that GPU/other hardware. If they both had a GPU on par with PS4/X1 and a gimmick, I guess it could work but then the system would be more expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong haha

Well the thing about Nintendo is that they use fairly standard and cheap components as their "controller gimmick". The Wii U was somewhat of an exception but even there people have over-estimated the cost of the thing. The only really "expensive" part of it is the LCD screen and a 480p, standard def, 6" touch screen? We're not talking hundreds of dollars. Same deal with the WiiMote which is probably less complicated than a standard controller. The most expensive bit in it would have been the IR camera.

Really unless they went all in with the hook it's not going to impact what spec they can deliver to that sort of extreme. If the target is, for example, $350US then it'd be the difference between being on-par with the PS4 and maybe being on-par with the XBOne. Or maybe the difference between making money on the game that's bundled with it or not.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Azooooz

Well, we are getting to the point where the graphics jump is not as huge as the PS2 to PS3. So the most important thing now is how well the game perform on the hardware measured by fps, or frames per second. Most Nintendo games run at 60fps with a good HD quality. If you ask me about what kind of NX is, I think it could be a 2-in-1 console, where you can play on the TV screen, and continue playing outside your home carrying a powerful charger with you. But does that mean Wii U is not safe? I don't think it means Wii U is not safe.

As far as I know, 3rd Party developers like Activision and Ubisoft ( yeah, I know they're shady with Nintendo lately) will continue making family-friendly games like Skylanders and Just Dance games for Wii U, while also it's going to have plethora of indie games that I can't count them all.

Also, Nintendo will introduce a new loyal rewarding program that includes Wii U among the 5 other consoles and devices: PC, Smartphone, Tablets, 3DS, and NX. Wii U will be supported for a long time in terms of online infrastructure. For games? I think 2 years is at max for Nintendo to make for Wii U.

This pic relates to the last paragraph of my post:
Untitled

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

kyuubikid213

MegaBeedrill wrote:

The question is, "Why would he?" Not, "Do you own one?"

This is the issue with the wii u currently. There is not one title that justifies the worth of purchasing the 350/300 dollar console..

Counter Argument: There aren't any titles that justify buying either the PS4 or One...$400 and $350 consoles.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213

Bolt_Strike wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

PK_Penguin wrote:

No Metroid and its first two years being full of rehashes and shovelware kinda brings down the quality significantly. Plus with the NX looming on the horizon that kinda limits quality releases from coming out.

Does that also mean that the quality of the PS4 and One are diminished since they only just recently started getting games you couldn't buy on the 7th gen machines? Nearly every release for the first year of these consoles had "Remastered" or "Definitive Edition" in the title and the rest were just cross-gen releases...and the remasters wouldn't be a problem...except they were "remasters" of games that came out the previous year.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

rallydefault

@kyuubikid213: "Counter Argument: There aren't any titles that justify buying either the PS4 or One...$400 and $350 consoles."

Answer:

Just to name a few other exclusives off-hand: Bloodborne, Killer Instinct, Master Chief Collection (trust me: this is a reason for MANY people to buy an Xbox One), Little Big Planet, Infamous, Killzone, Ryse (I'm telling you - this is going to be an awesome franchise in the future)...do you need more? I would even hazard to include some of the remasters like The Last of Us. Personally, I never owned a PS3, but man, I always wanted to play Last of Us after hearing about it from everyone. Well, the PS4 remaster gave me that chance. Same thing with God of War 3 and the Uncharted Collection coming up this Fall.

There are PLENTY of reasons right now to own Xbox One or PS4.

rallydefault

kyuubikid213

@rallydefault:
If that's the case, there are just as many reasons to own a Wii U.

And to look at your answer, Bloodborne is the only real reason to buy a PS4 and that only solidifies the last part of your response: "There are plenty of reasons right now to own Xbox One or PS4."

I'm not buying a $350 console to play the Halo games I already have on my 360.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

DefHalan

@rallydefault: Reasons to own a Wii U
Bayonetta 1&2
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Pikmin 3
Scam Kitty and his Buddy on rails
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Swords & Soldiers

Just to name a few.

Ralizah

I don't understand the annoyance people have concerning remasters. Do they think every gamer has owned every console in every generation? HD remakes are a great way to catch up on the best older games on modern hardware. It's almost never the case that these are delaying newer games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.