Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 241 to 260 of 308

UGXwolf

No, I think they've been very straightforward about their reasons. I think it's simply because they thought of something that was really cool and they just couldn't justify leaving it out. Nintendo hasn't experimented with open world as much as you might like to believe. As they are creators, they don't see a problem with pushing back the release to add somethinng that'll make the game far better.

So why not show it at E3? As I've said before, demos take time. Maybe the demo they had lined up didn't represent the final product, so they pulled it, and amassing the resources to make a new demo would only serve to push the game back, further.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

unrandomsam

I would be surprised (But pleased) if it ended up rammed with content.

They have always left Zelda pretty short despite what other people were doing at the time.

I think they just don't want it super buggy like most open world stuff tends to be.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

MarioKartParty57

Mostly because even though it's solid Nintendo stuff except for like 2 things, Rayman and Bayonetta, it's all top noch. Everyone clearly knows the PS4 has no library of it's own and Xbros continue to glide on by with white guys with stubble exclusives.

MarioKartParty57

Haru17

MarioKartParty57 wrote:

Mostly because even though it's solid Nintendo stuff except for like 2 things, Rayman and Bayonetta, it's all top noch. Everyone clearly knows the PS4 has no library of it's own and Xbros continue to glide on by with white guys with stubble exclusives.

Well, third party games also matter. Not trash ones, but there are some great AAAs (Inquisition, Mordor) and a lot of interesting downloadable games (Valiant Hearts, Resogun, Towerfall, etc).

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

MarioKartParty57 wrote:

white guys with stubble exclusives.

BRO, have you heard of Mario? Donkey Kong's body is pale and literally covered with short hairs.

Also, western games have gruff white 25-40ish men, Japanese games have androgynous young men, and Nintendo games have a lot of child characters, who are also white. So, you know, we all live in glass houses.

MarioKartParty57

Also the Mario & DK comparison was terrible. Mario doesn't have stubble and DK's fur is not stubble. After that I didn't read cause it was too much work to understand why you'd compare Xbro stubble to Mario's mustache that's clean shaven around and DK's primate fur. What on Earth

MarioKartParty57

Haru17

MarioKartParty57 wrote:

Lol did you seriously just get upset

Yes, and I also said 'BRO' without a drop of sarcasm. And the theory of biogenesis is proven fact...

Octane

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Does anyone else think the Zelda delay is a result of another "Miyamoto tea table upending"? We know Aonuma is mostly in charge of the series now, and Miyamoto checks in from time to time (atleast this is my understanding of how it is, I remember Aonuma saying in an interview that Miyamoto wasn't even aware of the art style he was using until the middle of development or something. I believe it might've been Wind Waker.

Even during the video from the 2014 Game Awards, I remember thinking that Miyamoto was playing it as if he was studying it. He did have a pretty good handle on the controls so it obviously wasn't the very first time he sat down with it, but he definitely seemed to be analyzing as he played.

He even at one point questioned Aonuma "This will be ready for 2015?" of which Aonuma assured him. It really causes me to think he possibly took it home and played through everything they had up until that point and just said "This isn't good enough for the next Zelda, it needs something different". It's an explanation that both explains the sudden about-face on the release date, and gives us an explanation that we know has happened at Nintendo many times before.

Whether or not this causes it to go back to the NX, or stay with the Wii U, or be a Twilight Princess-esque double release for both systems is anyone's guess at this point, and it doesn't really matter what any of us think. But I do think this is another Miyamoto "tea table" situation

You do realise that the footage from the 2014 Game Awards was probably scripted? It's not as if Miyamoto saw the game for his first time in months.

Octane

Contrite

Haru17 wrote:

Well, third party games also matter. Not trash ones, but there are some great AAAs (Inquisition, Mordor)

wat
If Inquisition and Mordor are the notable "greats" of AAA nowadays then I really must have lost all taste for AAA games.

As for answering the topic itself, I think much of the praise the U's library gets is because of all the broken releases that have been lately. Especially in terms of Q&A but also in the sense of gameplay. That whole "cinematic" schtick has gone too far for many now I feel. The quantity vs quality thing is getting more lopsided by the year it seems.

A thing I'm kind of surprised by is that the Wii U is actually the console I have bought the most games for.

Contrite

Vineleaf

A lot of it is surely that the sales have been so underwhelming, so the first thought must be that the games aren't good. But sit down with a chunk of the library, and there's a great deal of greatness, a lot of fun. So the library then gets lauded because it's decent and NOT the explanation for poor sales.

Animal Crossing in real life would be really pleasant. And exceptionally weird. Why is there a shark in your pocket? Why did you mail me a sofa?
I blog about video game stuff at http://www.shinynewcartridge.com. It might even be worth reading.

3DS Friend Code: 2938-7438-0507 | Nintendo Network ID: Vineleaf

unrandomsam

Contrite wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Well, third party games also matter. Not trash ones, but there are some great AAAs (Inquisition, Mordor)

wat
If Inquisition and Mordor are the notable "greats" of AAA nowadays then I really must have lost all taste for AAA games.

As for answering the topic itself, I think much of the praise the U's library gets is because of all the broken releases that have been lately. Especially in terms of Q&A but also in the sense of gameplay. That whole "cinematic" schtick has gone too far for many now I feel. The quantity vs quality thing is getting more lopsided by the year it seems.

A thing I'm kind of surprised by is that the Wii U is actually the console I have bought the most games for.

Me too.

I think Wolfenstein : The New Order and Pillars of Eternity were good to very good. (Not Great though - I reserve that for the best game there has ever been in that genre (Or something it is hard to pick between two games) or something that tries lots of new things that haven't done before).

Haru17

Contrite wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

wat

Oh, lord! Now we're hating on cinematic games. AKA games with cool cutscenes. Whether you agree or not, there are some cool third party AAAs out on PS4. Infamous and Mordor are just as good if not better than any of Nintendo's shallow, gameplay-focused games. Not to mention that the Wii U doesn't have anything that even competes with Inquisition. Except for, I guess, Mass Effect 3.

kyuubikid213

Haru17 wrote:

Infamous and Mordor are just as good if not better than any of Nintendo's shallow, gameplay-focused games.

...implying no other games in the industry are gameplay-focused.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Contrite

Haru17 wrote:

Contrite wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

wat

Oh, lord! Now we're hating on cinematic games. AKA games with cool cutscenes. Whether you agree or not, there are some cool third party AAAs out on PS4. Infamous and Mordor are just as good if not better than any of Nintendo's shallow, gameplay-focused games. Not to mention that the Wii U doesn't have anything that even competes with Inquisition. Except for, I guess, Mass Effect 3.

Hahaha, I only meant that it seems that plenty of people have gotten tired from the recent surge in "cinematic" focus. Plenty of people have different interpretations of that word though. The most common one now seems to be something along the lines of "all flash, little substance".
(Which, frankly, is how I'd label Inquisition)

But yes, a problem with the Wii U's library is variation. Great games-a-plenty but Nintendo can't cover all the genres and their subgenres by themselves.

Contrite

unrandomsam

That is pretty much right. Even the best cutscenes are nowhere as good as the best film special effects.

Action51

I think one of the problems with cut-scenes and cinematic sequences in games is that the writing just isn't good, and the formats don't actually work together.

A video game is supposed to be an open-ended interactive experience, and a cut-scene is a scripted event, often pre-rendered...so in order to reach the scripted and pre-rendered visual sequence, you are "locked" to a very specific path, thus removing a good deal of the feeling that you're playing a "game" and that your choices matter.

Action51

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

Contrite wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

wat

No, we're talking about games that are so cinematic, they may as well be movies. I don't want to play a game and feel like I'm in cutscenes more than I'm actually playing a game. The Order: 1886 was really bad about this, sometimes with entire chapters being just a cutscene. It tries so hard to tell a story that it forgets to entertain the player, and when gameplay DOES come up, it's nothing special. The Order is a very pretty game, but if the gameplay is weak, no amount of pretty graphics is going to make the game better. Now, obviously, not all AAA 3rd parties are like this, but even you can't argue that the third parties haven't been slouching as a whole.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.