Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 301 to 308 of 308

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

I disagree. There is a logical moral approach to things. Emotions only cause people to make decisions that aren't in society's best interest.

In some ways, yes. For example, it is entirely moral and logical to fund things like healthcare, education, or various social programs, because money invested into all of those things leads to a stronger, smarter workforce and better economy in the long run. It directly contributes to the advancement of our species.

However, it is not logical to care for retired senior citizens. We do anyway because it's just the right thing to do, entirely on an emotional level.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

arronishere wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Emotions are useful in a civilized society. Being completely logical all the time is for when the machines take over.

I disagree. There is a logical moral approach to things. Emotions only cause people to make decisions that aren't in society's best interest.

In any case, none of this justifies whining about a system because it has a game you (the general 'you') don't like on it, like some entitled fool.

Even if logic is involved that wouldn't be the case, logically why would it be best to act in someone else's best interests rather than your own?

Unless by helping that person you are helping yourself. Logic will make us pick between choice A and choice B, emotion will make us look for a choice C.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

In some ways, yes. For example, it is entirely moral and logical to fund things like healthcare, education, or various social programs, because money invested into all of those things leads to a stronger, smarter workforce and better economy in the long run. It directly contributes to the advancement of our species.

However, it is not logical to care for retired senior citizens. We do anyway because it's just the right thing to do, entirely on an emotional level.

I agree with the first point, but it's also logical to care for the elderly. You need to factor in that the well being of existing human life is in itself a moral good. From there you use the best available methods to pursue that goal.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

rockodoodle

InterwebUser wrote:

Nintendo Land is one of the best games on the Wii U and the most deserving of some good DLC, in my opinion. It's incredibly underrated. I can't think of many games on any system that are as fun and accessible to play with friends.

Agreed. Seems like it would be easy for them to do bc the framework is already there. and it's not like they are sophisticated games.

rockodoodle

SomeBitTripFan

Well, it seems Philosophy 101 is in session. (On note of the current discussion, I'd recommend y'all watching the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Half a Life".) Morals are defined by current society and are not constant. What is "right" or "wrong" is simply determined by the ideologies and structure a society chooses to take. It's why slavery was fine a few hundred years ago, but is now incredibly immoral. Depending on how you apply logic, either thinking of the most effective means of something (say, killing the elderly when they are no longer able to work since keeping them alive is a waste of resources), or applying logic to decisions based on society's rules (assisting the elderly).

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Haru17

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Well, it seems Philosophy 101 is in session. (On note of the current discussion, I'd recommend y'all watching the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Half a Life".) Morals are defined by current society and are not constant. What is "right" or "wrong" is simply determined by the ideologies and structure a society chooses to take. It's why slavery was fine a few hundred years ago, but is now incredibly immoral. Depending on how you apply logic, either thinking of the most effective means of something (say, killing the elderly when they are no longer able to work since keeping them alive is a waste of resources), or applying logic to decisions based on society's rules (assisting the elderly).

Valuing human life is timeless. It has just been a process of refining society's fair treatment of everyone. If you've turned on the news in the US recently you'll know that we are very much still in the midst of that process.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Valuing human life is timeless. It has just been a process of refining society's fair treatment of everyone. If you've turned on the news in the US recently you'll know that we are very much still in the midst of that process.

Someone hasn't been studying their ancient history. Human life has not always been considered intrinsically valuable and in some cultures, one had to prove their worth to be grieved. There were many cultures that believed in killing the weak to promote the strong and many still that do not consider death to be bad by its nature.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.