Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - OT

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,761

skywake

Untitled

edit: It's pretty clear that both of these were rendered at a high resolution but at least you can see how bad the texture work actually is. It's hard to find screenshots of what Twilight Princess actually looked like originally because of all the emulated screenshots floating around. Fair to say that the few I did find looked quite a bit worse than even the image on the left. Blocky, very average. The game doesn't scale well.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

@mookysam
It is true that the HD remasters are still nice, but I've drawn a pretty clear line on what I want from an HD version of a game. I was totally fine with buying God of War Collection, Jak & Dexter Collection, and Rayman 3 on PS3, because I hadn't played them before (didn't have a PS2) and being rendered in HD with no texture or other changes was good enough. That's why I wouldn't think those games need a remake, either, because they already put the work into making them run in HD.

The launch window games on Wii U were fine for me, too, because the Wii U was natively upscaling them to 1080p with 5.1 PCM, so I knew they were at least slightly better than the 7th generation versions, by default. Scaling definitely still matters. There's not really much else to say about HD remasters, besides that the old versions are still mostly relevant, and whether that matters is a split decision. It mostly just matters if you've played the games before, which is why Wii VC mattered. I wouldn't have even known what Ristar or Gunstar Heroes were, at all, without Wii VC, for example, and TP is still a pretty new game, all things considered. That is my opinion, anyway.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

cookiex

Morpheel wrote:

Kinda looks like that cgi cartoon about star wars.

It was from the studio that made that CGI Ninja Turtles movie you barely remember (no, not the Micheal Bay one) and that Astro Boy movie you didn't know existed.

Shortly after the latter the studio ceased existing.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

CaviarMeths

Remastering in HD isn't even a lot of work anyway. Art assets are typically drawn at a much higher resolution than the final game's output. As long as Nintendo still has the original assets, and I don't know why they wouldn't, they can just go back to them and re-render them at 1080p. It's not difficult work, not expensive work, and not work that requires a large team or a lot of attention. The lengthiest portion of development would be Nintendo's high standards for QA, but that's done through Club Mario, who are now a subsidiary company.

And having another look at that image that skywake posted, some of the ground and wall textures in the original game were super low resolution. On the cliff wall, you can see sharp edges where one texture ends and the next begins. The ground is a big splotchy mess. It looks like green lava. Jagged green lava. It's megacrap. I like the character models in the game, but yeesh, that game had butt-ugly environments.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

SpookyMeths wrote:

Remastering in HD isn't even a lot of work anyway. Art assets are typically drawn at a much higher resolution than the final game's output. As long as Nintendo still has the original assets, and I don't know why they wouldn't, they can just go back to them and re-render them at 1080p.

As someone who has done a bit of, admittedly not professionally, CG stuff it really depends. There are all sorts of ways to texture an object and not all of them are high resolution. Particularly environments where at lower resolutions you can do things like stretch out a texture so that there isn't a repeating pattern. At low resolutions near enough is good enough so you spend all of your time working on the stuff people will notice. In the case of the game that'd be the characters. If you bump up the resolution? It's a lot harder to get away with those sort of tricks.

That said, they've made quite a few HD games at this point. They're quite a way through a HD Zelda game. I think it's fair to say that they already have quite a few high resolution textures suitable for the environments in Twilight Princess. So in that sense I'd say you're right, a lot of the work should be already done for them.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Gamecube games don't look fine on modern TVs, not even paper sprites.

If I was a stickler about resolution I don't think I would have become a Zelda fan.

You're looking at the same stuff, your window is just a little cleaner. Still, if the stuff you're looking at remains unchanged then it's really not that different.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

iKhan

I still don't buy it. I think it'll just be a digital download Wii game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

skywake wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Remastering in HD isn't even a lot of work anyway. Art assets are typically drawn at a much higher resolution than the final game's output. As long as Nintendo still has the original assets, and I don't know why they wouldn't, they can just go back to them and re-render them at 1080p.

As someone who has done a bit of, admittedly not professionally, CG stuff it really depends. There are all sorts of ways to texture an object and not all of them are high resolution. Particularly environments where at lower resolutions you can do things like stretch out a texture so that there isn't a repeating pattern. At low resolutions near enough is good enough so you spend all of your time working on the stuff people will notice. In the case of the game that'd be the characters. If you bump up the resolution? It's a lot harder to get away with those sort of tricks.

That said, they've made quite a few HD games at this point. They're quite a way through a HD Zelda game. I think it's fair to say that they already have quite a few high resolution textures suitable for the environments in Twilight Princess. So in that sense I'd say you're right, a lot of the work should be already done for them.

I'm not sure it's as easy as just updating the textures and resolution. The 3d models look very rough as well, just a new coat of paint isn't going to do the job. Especially since Twilight Princess is the most realistic looking Zelda game, everything that's a little off will be very easy to notice.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/images/thumb/d/df/TwilightPr...

Look at the ReDead Knight, arguably one of the graphically worst looking enemies in TP, and look it its left hand; He has more fingers on his hand than polygons. They need to redo most, if not all, of the models and edit and redo most of the textures (perhaps even animations). It's going to take a lot more work than Wind Waker HD, which was basically the same game rendered in 1080p with plenty of bloom and lighting effects added.

Octane

Whopper744

If this is a real thing, I hope they take it farther into the realistic style and don't feel the need to make it cartoony. I love the style of Wind Waker actually, but I want to see what they can do to make this series look a bit more on the realistic side of things. Not everything needs to be cartoony.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Haru17

Octane wrote:

I'm not sure it's as easy as just updating the textures and resolution. The 3d models look very rough as well, just a new coat of paint isn't going to do the job. Especially since Twilight Princess is the most realistic looking Zelda game, everything that's a little off will be very easy to notice.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/images/thumb/d/df/TwilightPr...

Look at the ReDead Knight, arguably one of the graphically worst looking enemies in TP, and look it its left hand; He has more fingers on his hand than polygons. They need to redo most, if not all, of the models and edit and redo most of the textures (perhaps even animations). It's going to take a lot more work than Wind Waker HD, which was basically the same game rendered in 1080p with plenty of bloom and lighting effects added.

It's worth noting that you don't encounter these enemies in a vacuum. You never see poe's textures because they're either invisible or glowing all of the time. Similarly redead knights are always in the dark, so you can never examine them too closely.

Edited on by Haru17

Eel

It's not like anyone will stand around a redead to inspect its model.

Though, didn't they already remake that model for Hyrule Warriors?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CaviarMeths

Dr. Wu used amphibian DNA to make dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Nintendo can use Hyrule Warriors assets to make Twilight Princess HD?

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

mookysam

@Octane: I think Nintendo would need to be picky about which models they remake for cost/time reasons but the problem here is that it can be jarring if some models are updated and others aren't. Link and Wolf Link are definitely the priority as he's always on screen, and Epona too. One NPC that always sticks in my mind is Ilia. Most character models in the game are pretty low-poly count but her feet are just scary.

I don't think expectations should be set too high. Textures need replacing across the board but I think the bones of the game would be exactly what we got in 2006. Perhaps the Twilight bloom could be enhanced and other lighting effects? Two of my favourite HD remasters are Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X and I think I would be happy if Twilight Princess Princess was a sympathetic update like they were.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Dezzy

SpookyMeths wrote:

Remastering in HD isn't even a lot of work anyway. Art assets are typically drawn at a much higher resolution than the final game's output. As long as Nintendo still has the original assets, and I don't know why they wouldn't, they can just go back to them and re-render them at 1080p. It's not difficult work, not expensive work, and not work that requires a large team or a lot of attention.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. First of all, I doubt they do have the original assets. The original character textures in Twilight Princess were 512x512 (and yes I actually know that cos I'm weird). I'm guessing the close-up character models for a Wii U version would use 2048x2048 (though probably lower in-game)
Then after that you've got the geometry of the models that needs a massive update. Then you've got normal maps and specular maps which didn't exist in 2006 (at least not on the gamecube). Then you've got all of the material shaders that didn't exist in 2006.
That's a fair amount of work for a big game like Zelda. If they want to do a decent remaster anyway.
They could just do a bare-bones upscale, like that HD image in skywake's comment. But I doubt they'd settle for that!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

It's not like anyone will stand around a redead to inspect its model.

Though, didn't they already remake that model for Hyrule Warriors?

Yup, and I bet Tecmo Koei/Omega Force would be happy to let Nintendo use them in a Zelda game, remake or not, if they don't already own the Hyrule Warriors assets anyway.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE! It's worse! It's worse! It's worse!

Dezzy

I quite liked the character models in Hyrule Warriors. The environments were mostly crap though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Blast

Dezzy wrote:

I quite liked the character models in Hyrule Warriors. The environments were mostly crap though.

Hmmmm... Cia..... Yessssss.....

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

Let's talk about stupid theory BS.

I just finished Majora's Mask 3D (my third playthrough overall), and I was struck by the whole 'moon evaporating' thing. That seems bad. Like, really gonna screw over the zoras bad. Not to mention the part where the planet and moon's gravity competed for dominance, sending clumps of just stuff flying into the sky.

I'm pretty certain this has already been talked about somewhere, but what do you guys think of Termina turning into the twilight realm? I was thinking that the banished mages could have established a pretty functional society before long, the Hylians not having any real reason curse the prison dimension with twilight.

Then the events of Majora's Mask could have caused a deteriorirotation of the environment and the extinction of the zoras (as zoras are want to do). After that the society would have suffered, perhaps becoming an unstable matriarchal monarchy. Presumably the people could have turned to the descendants the old mages & Majora (also a woman) to lead them out of tradition, hence Midna. Then the poverty caused by the wrecked environment would have made it easy for someone like Ganondorf to get a person like Zant to stage a coup and rise to power (ala every dictator ever).

It's obviously vague, but thoughts?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.